What's new
Cooking Forum

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Favorite magazines?

R

r8rpwr

Right now I get Cooking Light and Cooks Illustrated.

I used to subscribe to Bon Appetit but I found that so many of their recipes are heavy and not healthy, and complicated as well. Now, I love a good challenge in the kitchen, but it has to be when I'm prepared and have the time to devote to it. On a normal day, I just want to get a healthy and tasty meal on the table since I work FT and often get home around 7 or sometimes later.

What other magazines are good?

I enjoy Midwest Living, Southern Living and Canadian Living magazines, as well as Taste of Home and Home Cooking.

I used to enjoy Woman's Day, Family Circle, Good Hosekeeping, etc. but that was years ago. Now there are way too many advertisements and they have cut back on the recipes! Back in the "good old days" those mags were so filled with recipes and they were all good ones - and you just couldn't put the magazine down!!

But I guess it's just like everything else - even cable TV now is overloaded with commercials and advertising.

Thank goodness for DVD's!!!

I love a magazine called Sunset. The magazine has several versions for the different parts of the North West and South West states. It has three basic sections; travel information, home design and decorating, and my favorite cooking. The cooking section usually has a theme that discusses a particular vegetable or fruit and then provides several recipes with that theme. The recipes are usually pretty easy to make and great taste.

Oh, I forgot to mention that I also enjoy the cooking sections of Real Simple.

I was given a subscription to Everyday Food at Christmas. I really have liked it so far. We've made several things from them and the recipes always turn out great.

I don't really subscribe to any cooking magazine but I love Good Housekeeping. My family's been subscribing to ti since I was a little tot. I get a few good cooking recipes/ideas every now and then.

No subscriptions as of right now but I'm always buying Cooking Light, Southern Living. I would say those are my top two faves.

Southern Living and the everyday foods one, definitely. The Easter dinner out of Everyday Foods was amazing. I used to subscribe to Cooking Light, but a lot of the times, the ingredients for the recipes were too hard for me to find, and that was when I was living in a major metropolitan area, forget about now when I'm dependent upon internet shopping, Walmart, and a limited farmer's market.

I dont subscribe to any. I used to get this one called Cooking club of america. I liked that one but my membership expired and I didnt renew. They sent me some sort of gadget to try out also. I may look them back up

Cooking Light and Southern Living are my only magazines. Tons of cookbooks, though.

I *heart* cooks illustrated and cooks country, they are my all time favorites. The science and technique stuff really appeals to me. Otherwise I like Everyday food okay, but it's pretty simple stuff. I enjoy a lot of the recipes in 'Living" but Cooking Light doesn't appeal to me. I like light recipes, but they seem to repeat a lot of the same recipes and they are too heavy on the articles for my tastes.

The science and technique stuff really appeals to me.

That's what I enjoy about Cooks Illustrated as well. I like how they take recipes or foods and break it all down, and try to figure out the absolute best way to do it. I tried oven fries recently that were featured in CI, and they were darned tasty.

My favorite is Cooking Light. I like it so much that I buy the cookbooks every year. There are tons of good, light, simple recipes in there. It's great for busy people who want to eat well.

I don't read any cooking magazines. Well, I browsed through one once at an office of sorts awhile back, I think it was the doctor's but that doesn't sound right, and it was okay. Nothing worth subscribing to, though.

I very rarely pick up cooking magazines, but the cooking sections in Real Simple and Martha Stewart Living are some of my favorite.

I agree - Real Simple does have some good recipes and tips. It's one of my favorite all-around magazines.

I used to get that Martha Stewart magazine, that is, until she went to jail. Then I stopped liking her.

I get Cooking Light and like it's 20 minute meals section best and the 'lighten up' where they change a recipe to be healthier. I used to get Bon Appetit but cancelled it for the reasons the first poster described - too complicated.

Back