What's new
Cooking Forum

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Crock Pot recipes

R

r8rpwr

I thought having a place to collect crock pot recipes would be helpful. I know the crock pot is so helpful to me during the week.

I think I might have posted this in another forum but I'll put it here too:

Red Beans and Rice

1 pound dried red kidney beans
1/2 cup dried parsley
1/4 cup oil
1 tsp garlic
1/4 tsp cayenne pepper
2 tsp salt
1-2 tsp Cajun seasoning
1 Tbsp sugar
1 chopped onion
1 chopped bell pepper
2-3 stalks celery, chopped

Soak beans in water overnight. Drain and rinse. Place beans in crock pot with all ingredients (I never measure the spices, just add as much as I like). Stir and cover with water. Cook on Low all day (~8-10 hours). When you get home, stir the beans often, getting them nice and creamy and mushing them up a little bit. On your stovetop, saute some chopped sausage until nicely browned. Add sausage to beans (I usually pour in the sausage grease, too), stir and serve over rice. This freezes great.
If you want, add a can of chicken broth and/or a can of beer in lieu of some of the water. This adds a nice flavor.

Definitely!! And with this heat - the crockpot that still give wonderful balanced meals without the heat in the kitchen!

Barbecue Beef Sandwiches

Barbecue Beef Sandwiches

3 pounds chuck roast
1 cup water
2 beef bouillon cubes
1 tablespoon minced onion
1 can tomato sauce - (15 oz)
1 cup brown sugar
1 cup ketchup
1 cup mustard
1 dash Worcestershire sauce
Hamburger buns or dinner rolls ; for serving

Roast meat, along with 1 cup water and bouillon cubes until very tender or cook on LOW in the crock pot 8 to 10 hours, until tender.

Shred meat with a fork after cooking and retain 1 cup of the juice from cooking. Add rest of the ingredients to shredded meat. Put in a crock pot and cook on LOW heat 3 to 4 hours (or on HIGH 1 1/2 to 2 hours). Serve over hamburger buns or dinner rolls.

The Easiest BBQ Meats!

The Easiest BBQ Meats!

1 cut up chicken, beef chunks, pork pieces or just any meat you may want to use
1 bottle your favorite barbecue sauce - if you don't want to make homemade
Seasoning to your liking
1 large onion ; cut into chunks

Place seasoned meats or chicken in crockpot. Pour barbecue sauce over and chunk up the onion. Cover and cook until done -- about 8 hours on LOW. Serve with what ever your family likes best.

Variation: You may add a bottle of sweet and sour sauce to it also.

I have seen the above also done with a can of beer added.

Also I will often put some chicken breasts with a couple of cans of cream of mushroom soup in the crock pot. Cook all day, then serve over rice.

A One-pot meal!

JAMBALAYA
2 t. olive oil
2 boneless, skinless chicken breasts, cubed
10 oz.+ of sausage (cajun or kielbasa), sliced
1/2 of an onion, diced
1 green pepper, diced
2 stalks celery, chopped
2 carrots, sliced
2 cloves garlic, chopped
1/4 t. cayenne pepper
1/2 t. onion powder
t each of salt and pepper
2 c. uncooked rice
4 c. chicken broth (one carton)
2 t. worchestershire
1 t. hot pepper sauce (more or less, depending on your preference)

Start all the cubing/slicing/dicing. Heat oil in large pot over medium heat. Saute chicken and sausage until light brown (about 5 minutes). Stir in onion, pepper, celery, carrots and garlic. Season with cayenne, onion powder, salt and pepper. Cook 5 more minutes. Add rice and stir in broth, crank it up and bring it to a boil. Cover and simmer at least 20 minutes, until the rice is tender. Stir in worchestershire and hot pepper sauce.

Serves 4+.

Tex-Mex Soup (8 servings, 1 ½ cups each)

1 lb. lean ground turkey
1 pkg (1.25-oz) taco seasoning mix
1 pkg (1-oz) ranch dressing mix
1 15-oz can black beans
½ of a 15-oz can corn
1 15.5-oz can great northern beans (or white beans if you can’t find great northern)
1 15.5-oz can pinto beans
1 16-oz can chicken broth
1 14.5-oz can tomatoes with chiles
1 14.5-oz can stewed tomatoes

Stovetop method: Brown meat and drain fat. Add seasoning mixes. Drain and rinse canned beans. Add to turkey. Add remaining ingredients. Bring to a boil. Serve hot.

Crockpot method (preferred): Brown meat and add seasonings. Drain and rinse beans, then add all ingredients to crock pot, mixing thoroughly. Cook on low all day.

Vegetarian version: Omit turkey and use vegetable broth instead of chicken broth. Mix all ingredients together in crock pot and cook on low all day.

Serve with corn bread or tortillas, rice (brown rice is our favorite!), and garnish with guacamole, sour cream, or crushed tortilla chips. Freezes well, also!

Chicken Stew Mexican Style

2 pounds skinless boneless chicken breasts ; cut 1 1/2" pieces
4 medium russet potatoes ; peeled, and
cut very small
1 can mild salsa - (15 oz)
1 can diced green chilies - (4 oz)
1 package taco seasoning mix - (1 1/4 oz)
1 can tomato sauce - (8 oz)
Flour tortillas ; for serving

Mix all ingredients together in crockpot, put on LOW in the morning and it is ready for dinner in the evening. Serve it with flour tortillas.

This recipe yields 4 to 6 servings.

Chili-Beer Brisket of Beef

Servings: 8

1 (2 1/2 pound) beef brisket
1/2 cup onions, chopped
1 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon black pepper
1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
12 ounces chili sauce
12 ounces beer

Garnishes
2 medium tomatoes, sliced
6 parsley sprigs

Place beef brisket, fat side down, in crockpot. Sprinkle brisket with onion, salt, pepper and garlic powder. Pour chili sauce over brisket. Cook on LOW for 3 hours, then pour beer over brisket.

Increase temperature to HIGH and continue cooking for 30 minutes.

Place brisket on large serving platter. Slice brisket very thin, and serve with hot cooking liquid. Garnish with tomatoes and parsley.

Oriental Beef Strips

1 pound thin sliced top or bottom round steak
1 large onion, cut into chunks
6 to 8 tablespoons soy sauce
1 tablespoon garlic powder
1/4 cup water
1 package dry brown gravy mix

Cut round steaks in 1-inch strips, trimming off all excess fat. Put strips into crockpot. Over this add onion chunks, garlic powder and soy sauce. Add water to the dry brown gravy mix. Pour over meat mixture. Cook on LOW for 6 hours.

Serve over brown rice and Oriental vegetables.

North Carolina Pork Barbecue

3 pounds pork butt, shoulder or blade roast - ( to 4 lbs)
1 can whole tomatoes - (15 oz)
1 cup vinegar
1 medium onion ; sliced
2 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
1 tablespoon sugar
2 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
2 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon freshly-ground black pepper

Combine all ingredients in crock. Cover and cook.

Pork is done when it falls apart if lifted with a fork. Remove meat and discard bone. Dice or shred meat with a fork. Serve with sauce meat was cooked in or other barbecue sauce. Serve on buns with coleslaw.

Makes 10 to 12 servings.

Macaroni & Cheese

8 oz. macaroni
1 tbsp. butter, melted
12 oz. cheese (any kind, sharp cheddar is good), grated
1 1/2 c. milk
1 lg. can evaporated milk
2 eggs, beaten
Salt and pepper to taste

Cook and drain macaroni. Put in crockpot. Add butter and cheese and stir. Add milk, beaten eggs, can of milk, salt and pepper. Pour in crockpot and stir. Cover and cook 3 to 5 hours on low heat.

Back