What's new
Cooking Forum

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Tricks of the trade...

M

medako

do you have any tricks to making a perfect "something"? Maybe a tip to help with clean up? Advice for beginners?

**be back with a few shortly...

• To help with clean-up, line baking sheets with aluminum foil.
  • Spray plastic~ware with nonstick cooking spray before pouring in tomato based sauces to prevent stains.
  • When spraying cooking oil onto pans, hold it over the sink to prevent a mess on the countertop or floor.
  • To prevent eggs shells from cracking, add a pinch of salt to the water before boiling.
  • Soak potatoes in cold water for 10 minutes to 24 hours before frying to release the starch & prevent soggy fries.
  • When using dried herbs, crush them in the palm of your hand before adding to your dish. This releases the oils & makes them more flavorful.
  • A splash of lemon juice or white vinegar will keep fruit from turning brown.
  • Put cookie dough into empty frozen juice cans, & chill. When you are ready to bake, cut the bottom off the can & use it as a pusher to move the dough out as you slice the cookies. This makes perfect round slices every time.
  • When a cake recipe calls for flouring the pan, use a bit of the dry cake mix instead & there won’t be any white mess on the outside of the cake.
  • Try using latex dishwashing gloves to open stubborn jar lids.
  • Keep a freezer bag with all of your leftover vegetables. When the bag is full, add them to your favorite soup or stew.
  • Store potatoes & onions in a paper bag to keep them fresh longer.
  • Use an ice cream scoop for drop biscuits. You’ll have uniform biscuits without the hassle of measuring.
  • Clean your wooden cutting board with course salt & warm water. This will remove any smells or stains. Store board on its side to prevent warping.

Those are all really good tips. I think the putting of cookie dough into frozen juice cans is a really good one. I find it impossible to make round circles for cookies unless I use cookie cutters.

Great tips medako, especially on opening jar lids. I've never tried that before. Most of the time I use bare hands or a cloth and it really hurts.

Wow these are great tips.I really like the one about the cake mix instead of flour. That makes sense. Oh I will start using the one about potatoes also. Thank you for the tips!

Great tips! thank you. I always hate the tomato stains in my plasitc ware!

** For Deviled eggs- use a baggie and cut the corner off. Put the mix in the bag and squeeze into eggs.

• Try using latex dishwashing gloves to open stubborn jar lids.

I'd tie a thick rubberband around the lid. This works in the same way as the latex gloves.

I have one tip to add:
When using flour or bread crumbs to coat chicken (or whatever) for deep frying, use a piece of plastic wrap to line the plate first then pour the flour or bread crumbs on the lined plate. You won't have to deal with a lumpy mess during cleaning cos you just discard the plastic wrap.

I'd tie a thick rubberband around the lid. This works in the same way as the latex gloves.

I have one tip to add:
When using flour or bread crumbs to coat chicken (or whatever) for deep frying, use a piece of plastic wrap to line the plate first then pour the flour or bread crumbs on the lined plate. You won't have to deal with a lumpy mess during cleaning cos you just discard the plastic wrap.

That is a great tip. I hate having to clean up after making fried chicken. I will have to try this tip the next time.

or...

to coat meat in breadcrumbs, flour, etc....use a zip top bag and toss the meat in, give it a shake & pull it out and straight into the pan. The bag can be zipped closed and tossed away.

*keep a salt shaker (or the like) filled with flour on hand. This makes it easy to dive the countertop a dusting before turning out a dough.

*when cooking, keep a bowl to the side for all of your trash. Instead of running back and forth to the can, just fill the bowl and toss it when you're finished (Tip by RR..and it's such a timesaver)

This isn't cooking directly...but cleaning up; which we obviously have to do if we cooked something, hahaha. To clean out your microwave easily, but a bowl filled 3/4 of the way with water; and cook for 5 minutes. Then let sit in the microwave for another 2 minutes. Take out bowl (be careful it's hot!) Then get a wet rag and everything will just wipe off the inside of the microwave.

Tips

These tips are fabulous!!

I have one to add....when peeling a banana peel it from the opposite end and all the strings will just come right off!:D

Back