What's new
Cooking Forum

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Looking for Crab Cakes Recipes

B

Barkely

Does anyone have a good recipe for crab cakes? I love them at a restaurant, but I have never tried to make them at home. I found a couple recipes, but I just wanted to see if anyone here has a tried and true favorite?:confused:

Basil's Restaurant - Minnesota
Basil's Lump Crab Cakes
Makes 8 - 4 oz. servings

1 pound Lump Blue Crabmeat
1 pound Back Fin Blue Crabmeat
1 each Egg, whole
¼ cup Mayonnaise
1 tsp Dijon Mustard
1 T Fresh Italian Parsley, chopped
1 T Fresh Chervil, Chopped
1 pinch Old Bay Seasoning, optional
Salt and Pepper to taste.

1) In a three-quart bowl, add the egg, mayonnaise, mustard parsley, chervil and Old Bay Seasoning. Mix until smooth and well blended.
2) Add the back fin crabmeat and mix thoroughly. I like to add the salt and pepper here. Be careful not to add to much salt. The crabmeat will have some natural saltiness to it.
3) Add the lump crabmeat and combine gently, trying not to break up the large lumps (they will break up a little any way).
4) Form the mixture into four ounce cakes by cupping it into the palm of one hand and pressing on top with the same thumb, while making a ring formation with the thumb and middle finger of the other hand around the outside of your crab cakes. Turn the cakes a little as you go to make a nice round cake, if you wish. Practice, practice.
5) Let the crab cakes rest for about one hour so they set and hold together nicely when cooking.
6) In a non-stick pan, over medium high heat, melt one tablespoon of butter and add one tablespoon of extra virgin olive oil. When the oil is hot, place the crab cakes in the pan and brown of about one and a half minutes on each side (or until golden brown).
7) Place the pan in a preheated 350-degree oven for about 8-10 minutes to finish.

CRAB CAKES WITH BASIL MAYONNAISE

Makes 2 servings

Basil Mayonnaise (recipe follows)
1 8-ounce carton crab meat
1 egg, beaten
1/4 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
1 tablespoon minced green onion
1 teaspoon minced fresh tarragon
3 tablespoons mayonnaise
4 teaspoons lemon juice
1/4 cup bread crumbs
1 tablespoon butter

Prepare Basil Mayonnaise and set aside.

In bowl, stir together crab meat, egg, red pepper flakes, green onion, tarragon, mayonnaise, lemon juice and bread crumbs. Shape into 4 patties.
Melt butter in medium skillet. Add crab cakes in one layer and fry 5 minutes per side or until golden brown and cooked through. Remove from skillet.

Arrange 2 crab cakes on each plate and pass the Basil Mayonnaise separately.

Basil Mayonnaise
1/4 cup mayonnaise
1 teaspoon fresh lemon juice
1 shallot, peeled and minced
1 tablespoon minced fresh basil
1/4 teaspoon black pepper

In bowl, combine mayonnaise, lemon juice, shallot, basil and black pepper. Mix well and transfer to serving bowl. Makes about 1/4 cup.

CRAB CAKES

2 c. crab meat - cooked
2 T. butter or margarine -melted
1 small onion - chopped fine
2 eggs beaten
1/2 c. bread crumbs
1/2 t. salt
1/4 t. pepper
1 c. vegetable oil for frying

Saute chopped onions in butter. In bowl mix crab, egg, onions, bread crumbs, butter, salt and pepper together. Shape into eight patties. Fry in hot fat until golden brown for about 5 minutes. Drain on a paper towel. (Serves 4)

Yum, thank you so much, I will give one of these a try, and let you know how they turn out. I really appreciate the recipes!:D

Mama Mangia, I made the basic crab cake recipe in your second post last night for supper. They were delicious, even my son ate a half a crab cake, which was surprising. I used that one because it did not have as much spice in it, and I was hoping he might taste it. He asked what was in it, so I gave him a rundown on the ingredients. Thanks again for the recipes. :)

I will take a look at those other crab cake recipes too, thanks for the info Spiceplace.

Back