What's new
Cooking Forum

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

What type of rice for Sushi?

L

lcsamano

My husband loves Sushi and it can be pretty pricey in the resturants. I am going to try to make some for dinner this week but not sure what type of rice to use. I know that you are not supposed to use regular long grain rice.

You'll need short-grain rice to make sushi rice. :)

Wash it well 'till the water looks clear, then let it drain in a colander for 30-60 minutes.

Boil the rice for a while in a one-is-to-one ratio of water or 'till the water's an inch above the rice's level (throw in some kelp, too, if you can get your hands on it, but you should remove it just right before the water boils. or add a couple drops of sake or mirin, if you can get your hands on them, too) let it simmer, take it off heat and let it cool down for a while.

In a bowl mix one tablespoon of sushi vinegar per cup of rice you have (roughly twice the number of uncooked rice you used) then spread it on a tin foil to cool it (Fanning it would cool it even more quickly!) down to room temp.

If you can't find sushi vinegar anywhere, here's a quick DIY sushi vinegar recipe:

1/3 cup white vinegar
2 tablespoons sugar
1-1/2 teaspoons salt

mix them all in a saucepan 'till everything's good and diluted :)

Thank you for your help. I am going to try to make sushi this weekend. I will be getting some really fresh salmon and tuna from the market. I am hoping that all goes well.

Tell me how it goes, 'kay? What kind are you planning to make? I love California Maki most :^___^:

I am just planning on making rice ball and putting tuna and salmon on top of them. I am trying to decide if I want to make shrimp and crab rolls. My girls love those. They arent to kin on the raw fish yet.

I wasn't very keen on raw meat when I was a kid myself so I totally understand them '~__^

Oh, I have never tried sushi. My husband seems to have tried vegetarian sushi at some point of time. I am skeptical. Does it really have raw fish in it? I love Japanese food but just never gather up the guts to try Sushi!

Tell me how it goes, 'kay? What kind are you planning to make? I love California Maki most :^___^:

I absolutely love California Maki Rolls. I can eat 2 dozen makis in one seating. No joke. I tried that before.

Do you have a recipe for this?

Back