What's new
Cooking Forum

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

the best pancake mix

P

peacherina

What is your favorite pancake mix? Mine is the one that Aldi's sells believe it or not. The pancakes always come out nice and fluffy and it only costs me 99 cents! Thanks for sharing

I have a couple:

Aunt Jemima's Pancake Mix

2 cups Self-rising flour
2 cups Bisquick
1/2 cup Sugar
1/2 cup Nondairy creamer powder

TO USE THE MIX:

1 Egg
8 ounces 7up
1 3/4 cups prepared pancake mix

THE MIX: In an 8cup container, stir together flour, Bisquick, sugar and creamer. Cover tightly. Refrigerate mix to use within 3 months.
Makes 7 cups of mix.

TO USE: Into blender, put egg, 7up and prepared pancake mix. Blend at high speed until smooth, 1 minute. Allow 1/3 cup batter for each 6" pancake.

Athough I prefer pure maple syrup - I do run out at times but this is easy to make:

Aunt Jemima Maple Syrup

2 Cups Water
1 Cup Granulated Sugar
2 Cups Dark Corn Syrup
¼ Tsp Salt
1 Tsp Maple Flavouring

Combine The First Four Ingredients In A Saucepan Over Medium
Heat. Stir Occasionally, Until The Mixture Comes To A Full Boil. Let
It Boil For 7 Minutes.
Turn The Heat Off & Let The Syrup Cool For 15 Minutes.
Add The Maple Flavouring & Stir.
When Completely Cool, Transfer The Syrup To A Covered Plastic Or Glass Container.
Makes 1 Quart.

OR:

Homemade Maple Syrup

1 3/4 cups sugar
1/4 cup brown sugar
1 cup water

1/2 tsp vanilla extract
1/2 tsp maple flavoring

* Combine first three ingredients in a saucepan and bring to a boil.
* Cook 1 minute. Remove from heat.
* Stir in vanilla and maple.
* If saucepan is covered as the syrup cools, there will be less crystallizing of the syrup.

ULTIMATE BUTTERMILK PANCAKE AND WAFFLE MIX

Makes 4 quarts of wonderful mix to give as gifts.

Ingredients:

8 cups all-purpose flour
2 cups whole wheat flour
1 1/2 cups buckwheat flour
1 cup corn flour
1/2 cup stone ground cornmeal
1/2 cup instant oatmeal, powdered in blender
2 cups buttermilk powder
5 tablespoons baking powder
2 tablespoons baking soda
1/4 cup vanilla powder
1 1/4 cups granulated sugar
3 tablespoons salt
2 tablespoons malt powder (optional)

In an extra large bowl, using a strong wire whisk, blend all-purpose
flour, whole wheat flour, buckwheat flour, corn flour, cornmeal,
powdered oatmeal, baking powder, baking soda, vanilla powder, sugar,
salt and malt (if using). Place mix into four 1 quart jars (you may
need to tap the bottoms to get it all to fit) and store in a cool,
dry place for up to one year.

NOTE: Whole wheat flour can go rancid if it gets too warm, so it may be a good idea to refrigerate this mix if you do not have a very cool
place to store it.

Attach the following instructions on a gift tag:

Please refrigerate this mix until used.

Ultimate Waffles or Pancakes

Ingredients:

1 cup Ultimate Pancake and Waffle Mix
1 egg
1/2 to 2/3 cup water
2 tablespoons vegetable oil

In a medium bowl, stir pancake mix with water, egg and vegetable oil.
Add more water, if necessary, to make a medium thickness batter. If
using as waffle batter, double recipe and follow manufacturer's
directions. Make pancakes in usual fashion.

I'm a plain ol' bisquick girl myself. Although, I'm more likely to make waffles than pancakes (I like a little crunch), bisquick works just fine for us. :)

I have not found a pancake mix that I like, although Aunt Jemima will do in a pinch.

I really don't care for Bisquick at all; it seems very tasteless. I like my pancakes a little sweet so maybe that's the problem. I do use Bisquick sometimes for dumplings but that's about it.

White King's pancake mix is delicious. But my aunt's own pancake mix is the best. She uses flour, baking soda, egg, baking powder and a pinch of sugar. She has also formulated different flavors. Sometimes she mixes it with chocolate; sometimes she mixes it with cheese or fruits. Pancakes also taste good with syrup that is commonly available at the supermarkets.

Last edited:
I like the Pillsbury pancake mix. It's affordable, instructions at the back of the box are easy to follow. Milk is also a suggestion to use instead of water for fluffier pancakes. Costs about 99cents too.

I use the one in the new joy of cooking, but I've recently switched to using whole wheat flour and now the batter is too thick...anyone know of a good whole wheat flour recipe?

I just use bisquick. However, we do add thinks to it. We add ground cinammon and a little bit of vanilla. Our pancakes are usually fluffy when we make them this way. Sometimes we will add alittle bit of Cocoa Powder to make them chocolate pancakes.

sometimes using all whole wheat flour in a recipe the batter/mix is heavy - that is why many recipes call for some all-purpose four to be added as well

I have 2 to share -

Whole Wheat Blueberry Waffles

2 cups buttermilk
1 cup whole wheat flour
1 cup all-purpose flour
1 tablespoon sugar
3 tablespoons vegetable oil
2 teaspoons baking powder
1 teaspoon grated orange peel
1/4 teaspoon salt
3 egg whites or
1/2 cup cholesterol-free egg product
1 cup fresh or frozen (thawed and
drained) blueberries

Heat waffle iron; brush lightly with oil if necessary. Beat all
ingredients except blueberries just until smooth. Stir in blueberries.
Pour batter from cup or pitcher onto hot waffle iron. Bake about 5 minutes
or until steaming stops. Remove waffle carefully. TWELVE 4-INCH WAFFLE
SQUARES.

Whole-Wheat Buttermilk Pancakes With Maple Syrup and Fresh Berries

1 cup whole-wheat flour
1/4 cup flour
1/4 cup yellow corn meal
1 teaspoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon baking soda
1 1/2 cups buttermilk*
2 eggs, lightly beaten
2 tablespoons honey
1/2 cup maple syrup
1 cup fresh berries

GREASE griddle or skillet.

COMBINE whole-wheat flour, all-purpose flour, corn meal, baking powder, salt and baking soda in a large bowl. Combine buttermilk, eggs and honey in a medium bowl. Add buttermilk mixture to flour mixture; stir until blended but still lumpy.

HEAT prepared griddle over medium heat until hot. Pour about 1/3 cup batter onto griddle. Cook for 2 to 3 minutes on each side or until golden brown. Repeat with remaining batter. Serve with syrup and berries.

*NOTE: or substitute 4 teaspoons lemon juice and enough milk to equal 1½ cups. Let stand for 5 minutes before using.

I also have a multi-grain recipe:

MULTI GRAIN PANCAKES/WAFFLES

***Dry Mix:***
7 3/4 cups all purpose flour
1 1/8 cup Quaker quick oatmeal
1 1/2 cup whole wheat flour
3 1/2 cups corn meal
1 cup wheat bran
3/4 cup sugar
1 1/2 cup finely chopped pecans
5 3/4 tablespoons baking powder
2 1/2 teaspoons baking soda
2 1/3 tablespoons dry malt*
1 3/4 teaspoon salt
***Waffle/Pancake batter:***
1 3/4 cup buttermilk (use more for pancakes)
2 x-large eggs
2 teaspoons vanilla
6 tablespoons butter
1 teaspoon water
Directions:
Dry Mix:
Mix all ingredients together. Store in air tight container.
Waffle/Pancake batter:

Put buttermilk in bowl and whisk in eggs. Whisk in dry mix. Add vanilla. Melt butter and water and whisk into batter.
*dry malt can be found from home-brew stores

and here is a mix for your panty:

Whole Wheat Baking Mix

4 cups flour
4 cups wheat flour
1/4 cup baking powder
2 teaspoons salt
1 1/2 cups nonfat dry milk
1 3/4 cups shortening
Stir dry ingredients together until well mixed. Cut in the shortening until well blended. Place in a glass jar. Keep tightly closed in a cool place. Use the mix within a month. Makes about 10 cups.
Whole Wheat Bread
Beat 1 egg slightly with 1 1/4 cups water in a large bowl. Stir in 4 1/2 cups Whole Wheat Baking Mix just until dry ingredients are moistened. Turn into a greased 9 x 5-inch loaf pan and bake at 350 degrees F for 50 minutes, or until a skewer inserted in center comes out clean. Let stand in pan on wire rack about 5 minutes; loosen sides with spatula and turn, right side up, on rack. Cool thoroughly before slicing.
Whole Wheat Muffins
Prepare batter as for Whole Wheat Bread. Spoon into greased medium-size muffin cups, filling two-thirds full. Bake in a preheated 400 degree F oven for 15 to 20 minutes. Makes 18.
Whole Wheat Pancakes
Beat 1 egg slightly with 1 cup water in a bowl. Stir in 2 1/4 cups Whole Wheat Baking Mix just until dry ingredients are moistened. Drop by mixing spoonfuls onto a well-greased griddle and bake over medium heat until browned on both sides and done. Turn carefully because cakes are tender. Makes about 15 (3-inch) pancakes.
Whole Wheat Coffeecake
Beat 1 egg slightly with 1/2 cup water in a bowl; stir in 2 1/4 cups Whole Wheat Baking Mix and 1/2 cup raisins just until dry ingredients are moistened. Spread evenly in a greased 13 x 9-inch baking pan. Sprinkle with crumb topping and bake in a preheated 400 degree F oven about 25 minutes. Cut into squares. Eat warm.

My husband usually makes our pancakes but I use his recipe but separate the yolks from the whites and whip the whites and fold them in with the the mix it makes a real light and fluffy pancake.
1 C. all purpose flour 1 egg separated
1 T. white sugar 2 T. vegetable oil
1 tsp. baking powder
1/2 tsp. baking soda
1/4 tsp. salt
1 C. milk

Combine flour, sugar,baking powder, baking soda and salt. Make a well in the center. In a separate bowl beat together egg yolk, milk and oil. Pour milk mixture into flour mixture. Beat egg white until fluffy stiff peaks and fold into bater. We also add vanilla to the batter for a little bit extra flavor.

I really like Aunt Jemima and Hungry Jack. the fluffy ones.

I do not get pancakes too often adn absolutely LOVE them!

Pilsbury and Aunt Jemima. Sometimes I make my own mix. I just followed Alton Brown's recipe and added some more.

Most of the time I just buy from IHOP.

I'm a huge fan of Bisquick. I have a hard time eating pancakes when we go out cuz they seem to be so flat and rubbery...

For me the best panckae mix is the Maya mix and the Pillsbury mix. In the Maya mix you still need to add the eggs and other wet ingredients. However, in the pillsbury mix, you only need to add water and voila the pancake is perfect already! Don't forget the maple syrup of course!

Back