What's new
Cooking Forum

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

breakfast

P

peacherina

What's your favorite breakfast to prepare. Mines is blueberry pancakes. I use the Martha White Blueberry muffin mix to make them. I use my griddle to make them also, they always come out so nice and fluffy. OH and we have them with eggs and cheese. Gotta love the OJ! I like the Not from concentrate kind with vitamin d and calcium added by Tropicana.

My favorite breakfast is french toast. I so rarely make it at home because I just don't have the time, but mmmm, it's so great with some nice strawberry syrup.

I adore french toast. But my favorites are oatmeal and fruit smoothies. We also have a great Bon Appetit pancake recipe that uses yogurt, banana, raisins, and oatmeal and is really filling and hearty.

I love pancakes, but rarely make them just because of the time involved (and also because I don't usually keep buttermilk around and they're just not the same without it).

On a weekend or holiday when we're lounging, though, watch out! I'll break out the griddle.

Smoothies are another thing that I always enjoy when I actually take the time to make them.

This makes my usual breakfast of instant oatmeal seem very lame, doesn't it? ;)

Another omelet maker here, I love fixing big fluffy omelets on the weekends. Especially if we have over night guest.

I normally serve it w/fresh o.j. and some fruit on the side.

Another favorite to fix is french toast and homemade oatmeal, both are faves of my little boy, Jake.

Waffles, scrambled eggs and OJ....my morning comfort foods! :)

I am a simple girl. Eggs (over medium), toast, and maybe some sausage if I have time.

I love pancakes with an over-easy egg placed in between the pancakes, and smothered with maple syrup.

I like a nice western omelet. It's filled with ham, tomatoes, green pepper and Cheddar cheese. It's nice with hash browned potatoes on the side and orange juice as a beverage.

I rarely make them but my favorite breakfast item would be homemade sourdough pancakes. You have to have some sourdough starter going to make them. Once cooked you need some warmed pure maple syrup to pour over and between them. I always seem to over do it with the syrup. A side order of sausage links. I would prefer fresh squeezed OJ but there again we rarely make it - instead we use the store bought not from concentrate OJ. YUM!!

I love going all out for breakfast. I make cube hash browns, eggs, toast, bacon, sausage, toast.... Everything. Breakfast is my favorite meal of the day. I also enjoy the simple waffle those are tastey and fast.

ON the topic of sourdough pancakes, if you can remember the Frugal Gourmet (before his trouble), he had a set of great cookbooks. In the one titled, The Frugal Gourmet Cooks American, which you can find in hardback for cheap at a used bookstore, there's a recipe I make for sourdough pancakes. You need to start a couple days in advance, and make a 'sourdough starter' using yeast, flour, and water. The idea is to let it go wild.

Then, when the soughdough starter is going good, and is gooey, you mix it with flour the night before, and get a good batter going. The next morning you make the pancake batter using the soughdough starter.

If you follow Jeff Smith's instructions, and cross your fingers, you can make these incriedable 1 - 1/2 inch thick sourdough pancakes. They are simply amazing.

Making these gems is a lot harder then Bisquick, but worth the work.

Alice

Last edited:
That sounds delicious - I may have to give it a try. I remember watching the Frugal Gourmet, years ago!

I am not a fan of Bisquick, actually. Well, sometimes I am. It works well for dumplings. But I don't like it as a pancake mix. They seem dry and tasteless.

You're killing me with the sourdough pancakes!

I make my husband frozen breakfast sandwiches. I top an eglish muffin half with cheddar cheese, a slice of scrapple or a few slices of bacon/sausage, and then a fried or scrambled egg, then the top. I freeze them individually in aluminum foil and he toasts them in the toaster oven. They are his idea of heaven.

I usually do fruit and yogurt, granola, toast, etc. I can't eat much in the morning or I feel sick.

What is scrapple?

I should try doing those sandwiches for myself. I crave protein in the morning, and if I didn't stop myself from it I'd be stopping by McDonalds for an egg mcmuffin every day.

I can never eat sweet stuff for breakfast. Danish, waffles, it all tastes icky to me at that hour. Don't know why, 'cause I love me some dessert after dinner.

Scrapple is a pennsylvania dutch thing, originally. I find it gross, but PA people tend to love it. It much like sausage, but it comes in a block and you slice it and cook is like a sausage patty, or mash it up and cook it like bulk sausage. It is the same ingredients as sausage but it contains corn meal, too. It's much mushier than sausage.

I like waffles. With some fruit and whipped cream, it's a dream breakfast.

Sometimes I make a batch of waffles, keep in the fridge and take out a couple each day to toast and eat in the car. Breaks the monotony of my usual granola bar or other eat-on-the-go breakfast.

I love bacon too. Good thing I'm too rushed to cook it every day. I'm not sure my hips could take it. :D

When I actually have a full breakfast, it's usually eating out somewhere, and I'll get belgian waffles with powdered sugar (I've always loved powdered sugar) and bacon on the side. Even though I normally don't eat much I can always finish that.

Back