What's new
Cooking Forum

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Ketchup is healthy!!!

F

foodlover

Do you have ketchup on almost everything? I bet most of us do.
But did you know that ketchup has medicinal value? It is said to contain a substance called Lycopene abundantly found in processed tomatoes. It gets released only when tomatoes are cooked. So, it is good in the prevention of prostate cancer and also maintains healthy cell growth resulting in slowing age.

I can say that ketchup isn't even something that generally stays in my fridge. I can't stand the stuff and the only time I use it is when I'm making meatloaf sauce - and the other ingredients cover up enough of the flavor so it's not that noticable.

It's funny that I don't like ketchup, but I love tomatoes almost any way you can prepare them.

Yes, it's actually surprising.
You are the first person I have come across who doesn't like ketchup

Last edited:
ditto that I am not a fan of ketchup or many condiments... I tollerate mustard but can't stand the site of mayo or even smell it

even as a child I didn't like ketchup. while most kids were slathering their french fries in it, I'd rather have mine plain.

I like ketchup and I hate mustard. Mustard is too sour. I don't like sour food!

I don't ketchup is that healthy. My father is diabetic and he can't use ketchup because of the sugar content.

I like ketchup but I like mayo more with my fries etc.
I like mustard with anything that has fish in it.
Oh, I like horseradish and tartar and chilli sauce too
I think I like all sorts of condiments. :)

I love mayo too. I cannot eat my fries and fish without it.

I have never tasted horseradish sauce though.

I like ketchup and I hate mustard. Mustard is too sour. I don't like sour food!

I don't ketchup is that healthy. My father is diabetic and he can't use ketchup because of the sugar content.

yeah agreed on that ketchup isn't healthy for diabetics. In fact, anything that has sugar in it, isn't but I am glad it's not as bad as I thought it was :p

even as a child I didn't like ketchup. while most kids were slathering their french fries in it, I'd rather have mine plain.

I like ketchup now, but as a child I did not. I used to put mustard on my french fries.

Ketchup isn't as healthy as you might think because of the sugar. You're better off using canned tomatoes to make your own marinara sauce.

I am not to big of a ketchup fan. I rarely use ketchup for fries. I would rather have honey mustard dressing with some dashes of tabasco in it. I like mustard only on sandwiches. I do not eat mayo it makes me sick.

I never knew that ketchup was good for you though. I will have to keep that from my children.

Ketchup Healthy? Should this be 'Tomatoes Healthy'?

Ketchup is loaded with salt. Take a look at the label and that's per serving, which is 1 tbsp or so.

I was trying to make a homemade barbecue sauce recipe the other day that wasn't loaded with salt, and all I could find were ones based on ketchup, so I tossed in the towel and used a bottle of store bought bbq sauce I had. I try to avoid salt because it's in so many foods we eat and think I get enough of it from that. And so if I can avoid salt I do, but in the case of the bbq sauces, it looks like I need to buy a salt free ketchup or tomato paste to use as a base for my homemade recipes.

the salt and sugar levels in ketchup would probably surprise most people. It's really not that good for you. It's the tomato that is the healthy part. Tomatoes are what carry lycopene (sp?)

Ketchup still shouldn't be overdone, as it doesn't really have any nutrients for your body. And can be fattening as well, but it shows everything has at least one good point on it.

Ketchup Healthy? Should this be 'Tomatoes Healthy'?

Ketchup is loaded with salt. Take a look at the label and that's per serving, which is 1 tbsp or so.

I was trying to make a homemade barbecue sauce recipe the other day that wasn't loaded with salt, and all I could find were ones based on ketchup, so I tossed in the towel and used a bottle of store bought bbq sauce I had. I try to avoid salt because it's in so many foods we eat and think I get enough of it from that. And so if I can avoid salt I do, but in the case of the bbq sauces, it looks like I need to buy a salt free ketchup or tomato paste to use as a base for my homemade recipes.

I happen to like ketchup - and for the amount that I actually use - I am not concerned about the salt, etc. And of course I don't eat it everyday.

Greg - here's something you may want to try:

ALABAMA WHITE BARBECUE SAUCE

1 cup mayonnaise
10 tablespoons white vinegar
1 1/2 tablespoons prepared horseradish optional
2 teaspoons ground white pepper
1 teaspoon salt

Combine all ingredients in mixing bowl and whisk until smooth. Serve with barbecued chicken or as a dip for grilled vegetables.

another variation:

This is a finishing sauce and should be applied at the last
moments of cooking or it will break down. Great for dipping also.

1 C. mayonnaise
1 C. cider vinegar
1 T. lemon juice
1 1/2 T. black pepper
1/2 tsp. salt
1/4 tsp. cayenne

Mix ingredients together and refrigerate.

ALL PURPOSE BARBECUE SAUCE

1/4 c Salad oil
2 tb lsp Soy sauce
1/4 c Bourbon, sherry, or wine
1 tsp Garlic powder
1 Pepper, freshly ground

Combine all ingredients and pour over meat. Marinate in refrigerator.
Also use to baste meat as you cook it. Good on red meat, fish or
chicken.

Barbecue Sauce

1 onion, finely chopped
1/4 cup honey
1/2 cup butter
1/4 cup brown sugar
1 6 oz. can tomato paste
1 clove garlic
1 cup water
1 Tbsp salt
1/2 cup Worcestershire sauce
10-12 drops hot pepper sauce
1/3 cup lemon juice

Sauté onion in butter in skillet, until transparent but not brown. Add remaining ingredients. Simmer on low heat 1 - 1-1/2 hours. Makes about 1-1/2 pints. Maybe refrigerated up to 3 weeks. Great for chicken, pork chops, ribs.

BBQ SAUCE

1 16 oz can of no-salt tomato sauce
1 4 oz can of sliced mushrooms (or a double handful of fresh)
2 tblsp honey
generous amount of chopped garlic
1 tsp chili powder
1 tblsp basil
1 tblsp oregano
at least a teaspoon of any other spice you like except black pepper
(it clashes with the chili powder)

Mix well and add to meat before you cook it. It also works really well
for baked chicken.

I have tons more if you are interested.

Thanks for the recipes Mama,

I like ketchup and use it all of the time. All I was trying to say was that ketchup was a primary ingredient in many of the homemade BBQ sauce recipes & using a 1/2 cup or more of ketchup adds a lot of salt to the recipe.

I agree with you Greg - and I even have recipes that call for 28 - 32 oz. of ketchup! Now that is salt! And I have some that call for 1/4 c. Salt is in so much that it seems like you just can't get away from sodium these days!

Hi Everyone!
I looked at the label of the (name withheld) ketchup brand I use and it has 280mg of sodium per tbsp. So 1/2 cup would have 280* 6 = 1680mg. That's a lot of salt to put in BBS sauce or so it seems to me. I like cooking without salt and using seasonings, and herbs instead.

I use Hunt's - 180 per tablespoon. I wish I had a bottle of BBQ sauce in the house - I rarely by it because I make my own - but I am really interested in the sodium count on that! I agree with you - spices and herbs are much better than all that salt!

Forgive for this Greg - but isn't a cup 16 tablespoons - leaving 8 for a half cup. Correct me if I am wrong. But if it is - 280 X 8 = 2240 and that is even worse!

Back