What's new
Cooking Forum

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Vanilla Pudding recipe request

F

foodlover

I remember when I was really young, an aunt of mine used to make this really fabulous vanilla pudding at home. I really miss that. Can anyone please share your recipe for it? I just can't seem to figure out how she made that caramel sauce without burning it!!

Vanilla Pudding Mix

3 cups instant nonfat dry milk
4 cups granulated sugar
1 teaspoon salt
3 cups cornstarch
1 vanilla bean

Mix the milk, sugar, salt and cornstarch until the ingredients are well blended. Cut the vanilla bean into several large pieces and stir them into the mix, seeds and all. Store mix in an airtight container.

To use, stir the mix in the canister before measuring out 1/2 cup mix into a saucepan. Add 2 cups milk and cook over low heat, stirring, until mixture thickens and comes to a boil. Continue stirring for 1 minute, remove from heat, and pour into individual serving dishes. Pudding will thicken further as it cools.
For a richer pudding, cook as directed and, after taking pudding off heat, stir in 1 egg lightly beaten with 1/2 teaspoon nutmeg, 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract and 1 tablespoon sweet butter. Cover and let sit for a minute or two, uncover and stir, and then pour into the individual serving dishes.

Vanilla Pudding

* 3 cups milk
* 1/4 cup cornstarch
* 1/2 cup sugar
* 1/4 teaspoon salt
* 1 1/2 teaspoons vanilla extract

Scald 2 2/3 cups of the milk. Mix cornstarch, sugar and salt; stir in remaining 1/3 cup milk. Add to scalded milk and cook over low heat, stirring constantly, until thickened and smooth. Continue cooking vanilla pudding for about 5 minutes to thoroughly cook cornstarch.

Cool vanilla pudding slightly; stir in vanilla and pour into serving dishes. Vanilla pudding recipe serves 6.

Creamy Vanilla Pudding Recipe

1/4 cup cornstarch
1/3 cup sugar
2 cups milk
2 eggs, slightly beaten
2 tablespoons butter or margarine
1 teaspoon vanilla

In a medium-size glass bowl, combine cornstarch and sugar. With a whisk gradually stir milk into the cornstarch mixture. Cook in the microwave on high power for 5-7 minutes or until thickened and bubbling, stirring aftereach 2-minute interval.

Beat half of the hot mixture into the eggs. Blend above egg mixture into remaining hot mixture.

Microwave on high power for 1 1/2 to 2 1/2 minutes, or until thickened and heated through; stirring after each 45 seconds of cooking. With a whisk, stir in butter and vanilla.

Pour into dessert dishes. Cover and refrigerate until chilled.

Caramel Sauce

This is a nice dessert sauce that can be drizzled over the warm coffee cake to serve!

Yield: 1-1/2 cups

1/2 cup butter
1 cup firmly packed brown sugar
2 tablespoons light corn syrup
1/2 cup whipping cream

Melt butter in a heavy saucepan over medium heat; add brown sugar and corn syrup, then cook, stirring constantly, until mixture comes to a boil. Gradually add cream, stirring constantly. Cook, stirring constantly, until mixture comes to a boil. Remove from heat. Cool to room temperature.

Thanks mama Mangia. You always seem to have lots of recipes.
I bet you are a great cook. Your family is lucky to have you.
Thanks very much! :)

Back