What's new
Cooking Forum

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Finally, I can stop those tears.

H

honeylemon

I am so glad I have finally found this and all my friends out here will sure love this too.

To reduce the tears when peeling or slicing onions, chill them first.
I tried it today and guess what, it really worked for me :)

I heard that tip too. But what if you don't have time to chill your onions?

I heard that tip too. But what if you don't have time to chill your onions?

Then try this: just cut the head off, keep the root intact while peeling and cutting (that is the part which makes you cry actually), chop it off only at the end.

I've heard to soak an onion in icy water for 5-15 minutes to reduce the smell.

You can also burn a candle right next to your cutting board as you're cutting. The flame will burn off the odor before it hits your nose/eyes.

I've heard to soak an onion in icy water for 5-15 minutes to reduce the smell.

You can also burn a candle right next to your cutting board as you're cutting. The flame will burn off the odor before it hits your nose/eyes.

wow! This candle idea sounds like a good one.
I will try burning a scented candle. All the better for my olfactory too!

Excellent ideas! I always have that problem too and just deal with the tears for the few minutes that I am doing it. I have dry, irritated eyes to begin with... now I have some new things to try so that doesn't happen! Thanks!

I will have to try the candle near the onion. We are always burning candles in the house so why not use one of them. I have heard about chilling them before but have never tried that. I guess you learn something new everyday..LOL

I haven't really had a problem with cutting onions, but sometimes my eyes do tend to water. Although it has never been as much of a problem for me as it has been for others.

I haven't really had a problem with cutting onions, but sometimes my eyes do tend to water. Although it has never been as much of a problem for me as it has been for others.

That's surprising and Good for you. You are blessed. I wish I was you.
You can't imagine how bad it gets for me even when I have just chopped 1/4th of a small onion. :mad:

Well i heard if you chew gum it stops the tears..but i never thought it was true. Anyone wanna prove this wrong?

Interesting way of onion cutting. Im trying it out next time.

You could always just wear swimming goggles when you're cutting. :)

Back