What's new
Cooking Forum

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Make gravies in advance

F

foodlover

Can I make gravies in advance and store them for like a week so that
for my weekday cooking, I just have to toss some boiled or fried vegetables into
it and just heat through?

I think i have been doing this ever since I entered the kitchen. I make different gravies from different stock, put enough in individual plastic containers for my meal, then freeze them and use as & when needed.

Gravies will freeze very well for you! And to warm them does not take up much time at all! I always make extra gravy and freeze it for anything I want - even if it is just for dipping fries in!

Make your gravy; refrigerate (uncovered) until COLD; package and freeze.

I've never had the best luck reheating gravies. It's never the same consistency as it was to start with. Could I do something different when heating it to make it smooth again?

medako - do you strain your gravies first before freezing?

would it be easier for you to add your stock to your pan drippings, then strain and cool and freeze before you add your thickener? then to use the gravy you would have to heat it thoroughly, and proceed with your thickener - then finish the gravy?

or do you freeze your gravy before removing the fat that has come to the top? that will make your gravy greasier and give it a thinner consistency

This sounds like a fantastic idea. Could someone share some recipes too?

CLASSIC PAN GRAVY

3 tablespoons butter or melted fat
3 tablespoons flour
1 1/2 cups broth
3 to 4 tablespoons milk - optional
Salt ; and pepper

Melt butter in skillet; stir in flour. Let roux cook for a minute or so. Slowly stir broth into roux. To avoid lumps, go slow and make sure broth is well incorporated before you add more. When all broth is added, let gravy simmer a few minutes to thicken a bit more.
If you want to, add a splash or two of milk and simmer a minute or two more. Season with salt and pepper and serve.

VARIATION: MUSHROOM GRAVY
Makes about 2 cups

Add to CLASSIC PAN GRAVY:
1 tablespoon butter
1/2 lb. mushrooms, sliced
Pinch dried thyme leaves

Saute mushrooms in butter, transfer to bowl; follow directions above. As gravy thickens add mushrooms.

GRAVY

Make an easy and quick gravy: 2 bouillon cubes (or 2 t. instant bouillon) dissolved in 2 cups boiling water (or 3 and 3 or 4 and 4, etc. depending on how much gravy you want); bring to boil; dissolve your thickener (flour, cornstarch) in cold water and add slowly to boiling broth, stirring until thickened. If desired, add browning sauce.

*Stir your flour and cold water so that it is lump-free before adding.

**For thicker gravy you can add a bit of mashed potato flakes.

Thanks Mama! Like always you have another post to help me out.
Will surely try these out and freeze them the way you asked me to. :)

You're welcomed foodlover! I like to freeze "basic" gravy - without mushrooms and onions - then I can always add them later if I want. There are times I have made too much gravy with onions and/or mushrooms and I have frozen it - but basic gravies can be eaten by everyone. I have a non-mushroom eater!

Back