What's new
Cooking Forum

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Pasta salad

R

rhoshoun

I had a aunt that made a pasta salad I know it had black olives and I think it was Italian dressing not sure has any one heard of one like this?

Yes -

Cook your pasta of choice al dente - in salted boiling water; drain; rinse under cold water.

Your dressing will be half Wishbone Zesty Italian and half vegetable or olive oil. No seasonings are needed.

To the pasta you can add: cubed ham, cubed salami, sliced pepperoni, pepperoncini, halved green olives, slice black oliver, drained pimentos, diced cheeses of choice, chopped tomatoes, sliced celery, chopped onion - anything you want!

I do almost the same for my pasta salad. I cook the pasta like mama said, then just add a whole bottle of italian dressing (zesty or wahtever you like). Then add in chopped olives, cucumber, bacon bits, parmasean, bell pepper, and anything else that looks good at the time.

It's best if you can refridgerate for at least a few hours - over night is even better. It gives the flavors all a chance to marry and develop.

I love this stuff! Medako, you definitely gave me more ideas! I always made mine pretty much like Mama Mangia. You are certainly right about letting it sit overnight - it is way better that way!

Yes -

Cook your pasta of choice al dente - in salted boiling water; drain; rinse under cold water.

Your dressing will be half Wishbone Zesty Italian and half vegetable or olive oil. No seasonings are needed.

To the pasta you can add: cubed ham, cubed salami, sliced pepperoni, pepperoncini, halved green olives, slice black oliver, drained pimentos, diced cheeses of choice, chopped tomatoes, sliced celery, chopped onion - anything you want!

I have never thought about putting all the ingredents that you stated Mama. However, the pepperoni and pepperoncinis sound good. Almost like an antipasta salad.

I have never thought about putting all the ingredents that you stated Mama. However, the pepperoni and pepperoncinis sound good. Almost like an antipasta salad.

But much heavier!!! You're substituting the lettuce and greens for pasta!!

I tried it and I will have to get my aunt to show me it didn't turn out o good for me.

I make a pasta salad with cucumbers, pasta, Italian dressing, chopped garlic, and cherry tomatoes, it is so good even my kids like it and I also put in fresh mozzarella from the cheese shop and fresh chopped basil leaves.

I have one that I like is easy and tasty

Chicken Pasta Primavera

Servings 4 Page 15

Ingredients

6 ounces (2 cups) dried rotini or bow tie pasta
2 boneless skinless chicken breast halves, cut into strips
1 cup sliced green or yellow sweet pepper
½ of medium onion, thinly sliced
1 tablespoon olive oil
1 can (14 ½ oz.) diced tomatoes with basil, garlic and oregano
1 can (2 ½ oz.) sliced pitted olives, drained

Directions

1. Cook pasta according to package directions; drain.

2. Meanwhile, season chicken with garlic powder, salt and pepper, if desired.

3. Cook chicken, sweet pepper and onion in oil in large skillet over medium high heat 5 minutes or until chicken is no longer pink, add undrained tomatoes; simmer, uncovered, 5 minutes or until slightly thickened. Add olives, if desired.

4. Toss with hot pasta. Serve with shredded Parmesan cheese, if desired.

Notes

Last edited by a moderator:
I never was much for cold pasta salads until I tried McCormick Salad Supreme seasoning. You can use whatever your favorite type of pasta is. Cook the pasta and then rinse pasta with cold water. This will remove the starch as well as cool the pasta. For 1/2 lb of pasta you will need 4oz Italian Salad Dressing (I prefer Wishbone brand) 2 tablespoons McCormick Salad Supreme seasoning mix. Mix those two ingredients together in a dish. Put cooled pasta in a large ziploc bag or large bowl. Pour the dressing mixture over the pasta and toss or stir to throughly coat the pasta. You can add any of your favorite cut up vegetables. You can also chop up some pepperoni and add that to the pasta salad.

Back