What's new
Cooking Forum

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

what are you having for Easter dinner??

Mama Mangia

Super Moderator
This year it's ham, potatoes, sweet potatoes, veggies, salad, homemade bread, homemade pasta with meatballs.

Desserts: Italian Cream Cake, cookies, pies.

what are you having???

I've been so stressed and scattered lately that I didn't even bother to ask my mom what was on the menu this year.

Of course, the way things stand right now, we might not be going anywhere tomorrow. Hubby managed another injury today and is pretty immobile right now, so there's a good chance we'll be staying at home this year...and since I hadn't planned on making an Easter dinner, it won't be anything special. :(

awww - Medako - sorry to hear about hubbie! And the good Lord knows that when a man gets sick or is injured - we all suffer!!!!!

You can always make a special meal during the week or next weekend. At least you will be together this year - and that is more important!

I hope you have a good day in spite of it all!

We have "city chicken" which is basically breaded pork on a stick. That is great stuff and a huge hit at our Aunt's! Then we have the usual mashed potatoes, stuffing, green beans, pasta salads, Easter bread, and cookies/pies.

we ended up having chicken enchiladas...just me and the hubby. :)

mtmomj you really must tell me how a dish of breaded pork on a stick got the name "city chicken"? I expected you to say it was a dish made with chicken.

City Chicken is also known as Mock Chicken Legs - back in the 1930's chicken was too expensive (believe it or not it was an expensive meat then) and many could not afford it. They would skewer veal or pork meat cubes on wooden skewer, roll in a seasoned flour mixture and skillet fry until done. In the 1950's many butchers started to grind pork and veal, shape into the shape of a chicken leg and skewer on a wooden skewer and bread in seasoned flour - mock chicken legs.

Sometimes these were browned in a skillet then transferred to a Dutch oven and oven roasted until done.

When I make them myself I grind, season, form into "drumsticks", skewer, dip in egg and coat with seasoned flour and slowly brown in a bit of oil (so they don't stick).

I still enjoy having these from time to time - it brings back many memories!

Last edited:
City Chicken is also known as Mock Chicken Legs - back in the 1930's chicken was too expensive (believe it or not it was an expensive meat then) and many could not afford it. They would skewer veal or pork meat cubes on wooden skewer, roll in a seasoned flour mixture and skillet fry until done. In the 1950's many butchers started to grind pork and veal, shape into the shape of a chicken leg and skewer on a wooden skewer and bread in seasoned flour - mock chicken legs.

Sometimes these were browned in a skillet then transferred to a Dutch oven and oven roasted until done.

When I make them myself I grind, season, form into "drumsticks", skewer, dip in egg and coat with seasoned flour and slowly brown in a bit of oil (so they don't stick).

I still enjoy having these from time to time - it brings back many memories!

Wow, I didn't know all of that! We only usually have them once a year, every Easter since I can remember, and they certainly bring back memories for us too. :)

Back