What's new
Cooking Forum

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

You got somethin' to say?

M

medako

Do you ever have those moments when you really want to say something to someone, but think you should probably just bite your lip? Well, let this be the place to let it all out! Tell your neighbors, family, friends, strangers on the street what you really want to say....

I'll start....

Dear Sister -

Yes, it was you who ruined Easter. Instead of having a nice dinner with family, DH and I stayed at home alone because we didn't want to be anywhere around you. And honestly, it was probably for your own safety. If you'd made one more rude comment about me, my child, my husband, or the way I parent or feed my child, I might've just ripped your head off.

So, thanks again for ruining yet another holiday. I'm tired of it....grow the f*@% up!

*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*​

Dear hubby,

I told you so. You were given crutches for a reason. Use them.

LOL - a "b&tch" thread!

Many times I have bit my tongue - and sometimes it is so hard to do - and after you have bit your tongue you may regret NOT opening up and letting someone have it! Yes there are times you need to do it.

As you all know - I am Italian - and we are known to "bury" someone before they are dead and never even think of them again - I guess we can hold a grudge and take it to our graves!

But as I get older - there are times that I will bite my tongue because I know my Italian temper. In all honesty - I am the nicest person who would do anything for anyone - even strangers - and I give with my heart. Just don't BLANK with me or someone I love. I go from Jekll to Hyde is less than a split second. And if I see someone abuse a child in public - I am in their face in an instant. I call a spade a spade. And I won't back down! Get under my skin and you wouldn't want to meet me in a dark alley - or anywhere else.

As I look back - there are a few times that I wish I would have kept my big mouth shut - but at the time I couldn't and I wouldn't.

It's especially hard with those you love - words hurt - and they cut deep - and it's best to think twice before you open up - think about it - do you really want to wound someone you love that bad?

Can you turn the other cheek and instead of lashing out - just tell them that when they are ready you'll talk to them about it and not in a debate issue either - without raising your voice - and calmly walking away and just letting it go?

Or try telling them - you are entitled to your opinion just like I am entitled to my opinion and I am not going to stoop to your level to prove anything to anyone. If you want to make a fool of yourself in front of everyone - go ahead - I don't have the time or interest in it. Then just turn and walk away.

It's bad enough saying something to someone and they interpret it differently than what you intended it to mean! That alone can cause BIG problems!

I know it's hard - and today it seems like too many are only thinking of themselves - and I swear as a nation - we've lost all our manners, grammar, etc. making our only defense the big "lash out and let them have it".

And the family member that has to put down a relative in my book is not worth a grain of salt. I've seen it in my family and I cannot stand it and I won't tolerate it. If there is a beef between anyone - don't include me - I don't have the time for it, I do not wish to get involved, I don't care who said what - just leave me out of it. Life is too short.

I had it out with a drunken slob attending a party a neighbor was having - he thought he could push me around - I told him right out - if you want to fight - go to Iraq and do it. Shut him up quick. And of course I had to get the last word in with this one - so I finished with - "oh - sorry - only a REAL man can fight a war" and I walked away.

Sure there are times to do it - but there are times (that are harder to deal with) when it really shouldn't be done. Depends on the situation.

I know it's hard - and today it seems like too many are only thinking of themselves - and I swear as a nation - we've lost all our manners, grammar, etc. making our only defense the big "lash out and let them have it".

We need to get back to manners. When driving, I stop for pedestrians no matter where they are or whether or not they are actually walking (and are just waiting there for a safe second to make a dash). I think that's just right to yield the way to those on foot. About 2 years ago, there was a string of accidents where pedestrians were killed. The government reacted by telling the pedestrians to be careful. My thought was, don't the pedestrians have the right away, so why aren't they telling drivers to yield to the people on foot?

Only after another year of bad things has the tide turned, but they're still not trying to change the culture so that everyone simply stops when someone is crossing the road or parking lot. That seems like the solution to me, since we're all in that same situation and need to walk *sometimes* :), why don't we treat each other with the same level of care and concern?

We need to get back to manners. When driving, I stop for pedestrians no matter where they are or whether or not they are actually walking (and are just waiting there for a safe second to make a dash). I think that's just right to yield the way to those on foot. About 2 years ago, there was a string of accidents where pedestrians were killed. The government reacted by telling the pedestrians to be careful. My thought was, don't the pedestrians have the right away, so why aren't they telling drivers to yield to the people on foot?

I agree with you on this one! Where I live if you stop for a person you have a good chance of getting rear-ended! No one wants to stop for anything - too much of a hurry. And for what - rush, rush, rush and get on with your life so that you can just rush it all away! They don't even want to stop at red lights and stop signs! Road rage is unbelievable here. They do 50 on side streets with kids playing outside - the showoffs do 80+.

They won't stop for people stepping off buses either! And I have seen so many pass a stopped school bus.

A woman pedestrian was hit by a car last year; another woman bent down to help her and took her rings, watch and purse before fleeing the scene. Nothing like being injured, needing medical attention and getting rolled all at once! And she was not the only victim - men have been rolled as well.

What have we become as a society? We certainly aren't acting like human beings. What happened to working for what you want instead of stealing it?

Look at these vidoes posted to sites like MySpace - teen age girls duking it out and no one breaking it up. It's sick. What is wrong with these internet sites that allow this to be posted? Are they that hard up for ratings??

What about daytime TV? Maury is busy telling everyone they are NOT the father while that same woman is having 18 men tested to see who the babies father is! And that talk show with Rosie O'Donnell - insults on top of insults. Then of course - dare I mention - Jerry Springer??? His show actually turns my stomach! And these judge shows - like Judge Judy, Alex, Mathis, etc. - they aren't much better. Who conned who out of what, who stole what from whom, who's lying about this and that, and just never stops.

Teachers are sleeping with students, priests are sexually abusing children, children are sexually abusing children, child molesters want to live in normal neighborhoods, you can buy a gun at the local mom and pop store as easy as buying a candy bar, the elderly are placed in nursing homes because they are a burden to their families so that they can be abused - the list never stops.

No manners, no considerations, no feelings - we've become a greedy, dog-eat-dog, self-centered society.

No wonder it seems like we're just going to h.el.l. in a hand-basket!

And another thing that really irks me -

GRAMMAR!

I am so sick of hearing me and him (or her or my brother, etc.) instead of my brother and I, or he and I, etc. Is it because English has become a second language??? Spanish is the #1 requirement all over. And everything you buy has to be written in English and Spanish. Don't get me wrong - BUT
ISN'T THAT A BIT DISCRIMINATORY! I'm Italian - why aren't the instructions, ingredients, etc. written in Italian for me???? A friend of mine is French. Why aren't ingredients, instructions, etc. written in French as well. The same goes for German, Swedish, Russian, Polish, Hungarian, Romanian, and every other nationality as well????????????????????????

grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr

But then again - how can we have manners? I've learned mine and exercise them daily in my life. We say "please," "yes please," "thank you," "no thank you" etc. constantly. We are not afraid to say thank you - excuse me - may I - would you please, etc. Try using them in public and people just look at you. I have had comments made to me about my manners. Especially when I am requesting help from someone, or I am being waited on in a store, restaurant, etc. So many times I have been told that no one says please or thank you. It's so sad. It also makes those that are helping us (you know - all those thankless jobs like cashiers, gas station attendants, etc.) feel like they are not important. Even a person working a minimum wage job is a human being who deserves to be treated properly. You don't need to be a CEO to get respect.

It's just like washing up before a meal, pushing your chair in when you are done, hanging up your clothes, picking up after yourself - things we did years ago and there are still a few of us that still do it today.

If the world ended today - I would know why! We really must be ticking off
"the guy upstairs!"

goodness... I'm glad I live in the midwest/south. People are still pretty friendly around this area. It's not uncommon to hear please and thank yous everywhere you go, I don't think I've ever seen a car pass a stopped school bus without being waved around, and life is just a little slower paced. Of course, that does nothing for grammer, which irks me to no end sometimes. The "me and John are going to ..." or "John and me are going to ..." drives me nuts too. I guess it has to do with my mom constantly pointing out just how incorrect it was while I was growing up. And, well, I don't even really want to start with the "slang" and improperly pronounced words (no one "axed" you a question!).

medako - everything is so fast-paced up here - I cannot stand it! It's me, me, me, me, and me with just about everyone. They won't do anything for anyone unless they get benefits out of it - they cannot do from the heart.

Not everyone is like that - but more and more are beginning to do it here. If one can speed and do road rage - the next one has to prove they can do it too.

I will remain the way I am - I won't change. I'm the type that if I won the lottery I would give most of it away to those that need it.

Even if they didn't "axe" me for it - grrrrrrrrrrrrr - I cannot stand that either!

Can the person who says AXE for ask say TASK or is it tax??? Just wondering............

I taught for years - but I would like to know what these teachers are teaching kids today - they can't read, write, fill out a job application and they cannot speak English! Manners and grammar are gone! Too many teacher unions and associations and school boards. Put the principal in charge of the school and not the politicians and pay a teacher by their job performance - start them with a low pay and make them WORK their way up.

Forget TENURE - it makes them lazy!

And make the teachers get rated by the students and parents and student performance! Stop passing kids because they outgrew the chairs and desks! If they can't read/comprehend or add, etc. - keep them in that class until they can!

We didn't have computers and all the fancy doo-dads they have today. We didn't have calculators and erasable pens and book bags. We didn't get early outs for any reason. We stayed in school all day with our Number 2 pencils, pink eraser, blue ink Bic pen, 12-inch ruler and 3-ring binder with subject dividers (if you were lucky you knew someone with a little pencil sharpener to keep your pencil sharp!) and carried home just about every book we had to do HOMEWORK. And our teachers didn't care what the other teachers had planned for us - you did the work. And if you didn't do your homework you never got out of the house alive! Your parents were in on it with your teachers!!!

Don't get me wrong - I do not believe in beating a child - but I am old-fashioned and a swat on the bottom when needed should work. Not a slap in the face or a punch in the head, etc. One swat (that they probably don't even feel) should do it- just enough to let them know they did wrong. And don't forget - THE LOOK! Step out of line and get THE LOOK from an adult and you would shake in your boots! No swat was needed. Lord help you if anyone told your parents!!!! OMG - an adult giving you THE LOOK! And if they corrected you on anything - you feared your parents, God and the world!

Give me the good ol' days anytime!

I'm sorry, I had to laugh about "the look" and a swat on the butt. I think I already have my "look" prefected and I'm not above showin' a firm hand when needed. I also expect my child to know that the same punishment will be there even if I'm not. Oh, and he better not ever see the day when the school has to call me for a problem.

Ya know, I majored in family relations and child development in college and it was repeated over and over that there is never any need for any sort of physical punishment for a child. Maybe that's what's wrong with kids these days. If they'd get their rear busted a few times like I (we?) did, then there probably wouldn't be nearly as many problems and parents wouldn't be feeling like they lost control.

*climbing off of my soapbox*

To my husband:

This balancing act with working at home and taking care of the house and family while you have been away for 5 weeks is really hard on me. You don't understand the full extent of how much pressure I have been under to meet the deadlines of my work on top of being mommy and daddy.

I am really stressed out lately and shouldn't even be working the hours I am for less than minimum wage with my MT career. I don't spend the amount of time with our daughter that I should be and it is showing.

No one will ever be debt free, so stop telling me that is what you are striving for!!!!

I'm sorry, I had to laugh about "the look" and a swat on the butt. I think I already have my "look" prefected and I'm not above showin' a firm hand when needed. I also expect my child to know that the same punishment will be there even if I'm not. Oh, and he better not ever see the day when the school has to call me for a problem.

Ya know, I majored in family relations and child development in college and it was repeated over and over that there is never any need for any sort of physical punishment for a child. Maybe that's what's wrong with kids these days. If they'd get their rear busted a few times like I (we?) did, then there probably wouldn't be nearly as many problems and parents wouldn't be feeling like they lost control.

*climbing off of my soapbox*

I agree with you 100%. Every smack on the butt that I ever got was well deserved. I didn't grow up wrong or a bad person because of it, and nor did I fear my parents. There's a huge difference between a smack on the butt and ***real*** physical child abuse. I think a lot of people lost touch with that assumption.

medako and mtmomj - a swat is needed - I don't care what the "experts" say and I do feel that is what is wrong with todays kids - and I am dead set against the parents that have it embedded n their childs mind that if the teacher corrects them in any way they will take the school board and administration to court and sue!

I don't feel a teacher should place a hand on a child - but a decent punishment is needed with some of these kids. You try to suspend a student for "bad" behavior and the parents scream discrimination and claim that their child has a right to an education - sorry - bring a gun or knife to school or act as school bully - and you should be OUT! School is for learning - and not that kind of learning!

Bring back the boys vocational and girls vocational schools for the trouble makers - they want to play rough - put them in one of those schools where they will meet with real toughies. If they would do that then they would not have to have cops patrolling the school halls in all the schools either! Put the learners in the school to learn and the troublemakers can do what they want - and if they don't learn - bounce them out - give the ones that were wrong a chance to learn and prove they can do it!

Heck - it worked in my day! And as you got older and started to date - if you met a guy from boys vocational - you stayed away from him! and vice versa for the girls.

It's a shame - I learned THE LOOK early in life - I was a good kid - never skipped school - never got into trouble - never had the cops bring me home - never got into a brawl - geez - what a dull like I had! LOL - but I also carried a 4.0 in accounting and a 4.0 in computers and a 4.0 for the few medical classes I took. And the very few swats I got - I learned from the first time I did what I should not have.

(one of the swats I got was for learning how to spell MISSISSIPPI from the older kids in the neighborhood - when I was about 4 or 5 -
M - I - S - S
I - S - S
and
I - PEE - PEE - IN YOUR EYE!

told mom and SWAT!)

LOL!

momentary vent - -

WHY can't the best surgeon in the nearest town with a hospital be an in-network doctor with our insurance? Honestly, the best care you can get and it's not covered as much as it should be!

medako- the insurance companies are running this country - they donte so much money to the political parties each year - MILLIONS - so that they can control our health and other insurance claims - with these heavy donation they are then allowed to play in the "gray" area all they want -

comp carriers will pay hundreds of thousands of dollars to prove that there is nothing wrong with you - to anyone who will catch you with a camera - then they can deny your money and not pay you a cent

auto insurance carriers do the same thing - for instance - any damage to a new car - you get old parts for repairs - they keep raising their rates and they want everyone to have high deductibles

home owners - beware - fire, flood, tornado, hurricane insurance - they have their ways of getting out of paying

i have seen medical insurance carriers refuse treatments to children born with disabilities because they were "pre-existing"

and what about doctors that have to bill insurance, medicaid and medicare??? they have to lie about what they did to treat you to collect their fees because the insurance companies only pay for certain things and only certain amounts - docs pad the bill just to get their money

now tell me - don't you feel that there is something wrong with this picture??

it's time for our politicians to stand up for the people and fight the insurance companies - but they won't - they are getting their pockets filled to the point that they are overflowing

and once someone becomes disabled - you are no longer wanted in society - since you cannot line the politicians pockets with your payroll taxes - you can't get any one to listen to you for anything - so they hire illegal immigrants to line their pockets with money - once they become disabled then they get tossed aside as well - and it just goes on and on

I HATE INSURANCE COMPANIES - I have had my own war with them for 5 years - grrrrrrrrrrrrrrr

oh, this is just another notch in the insurance fight.

When my son was born we called insurance the day before and let them know the hospital stay would be extended because he was going to be born c-section. We told them right then that we wanted to add him to the policy immediately (obviously). That was January 11 (2006). In April we started getting bills from the doctor's offices and hospital because insurance was saying he wasn't covered. I was livid! It took at least 2 months of constant compaints and threats to call insurance commissioners before they finally covered him from date of birth. Their excuse - a paper wasn't signed to add him to the policy and they only cover for 30 days or whatever without that form. Yet no one bothered to tell us there was any sort of form (HR or insurance).

Anyways, in this situation right now it's not a HUGE deal, I guess. We just pay a different percentage of the bill and the deductible is higher because the doctor was out of network. It just ****es me off that there's not a decent surgeon in-network and I wasn't going to have any less than the best possible care for my husband. I requested the surgeon by name while in the ER - not caring it we had to pay every bit out of pocket.

But like I tell him, I'd rather have a boatload of medical bills than a boatload of medical bills AND a funeral.

oh geez - don't think that! you guys got many more years together!!!

insurance is a ripoff - a complete ripoff! insurance companies are the lowest, maggot-ruled, deceitful, lying BAST*&$#s there are! I don't know how they can get up in the morning and look themselves in the face! they point the finger at everyone else - someday they will all get theirs! what you sow you reap!

even if we have to pay every dime out of pocket, it'd be worth the $16K or whatever just to still have him around. It's just beyond annoying that we carry medical insurance so we're not out of pocket a lot of money. And now that the doc is out of network, the deductible is DOUBLE.

At least we had a pleasant experience with the auto insurance people. (they valued the car at over $2000 more than we paid for it almost 2 years ago). After the lien was paid off, we still cleared a pretty nice chunk of change.

its a shame that even though you carry medical you still have to pay out of pocket! these insurance companies make money - hand over fist! you are right - it is worth the money to keep him around!

and I'm glad to hear that you made out well with the auto coverage!!

now think positive - and see more money flowing into your life!!

Dear medical insurance co -

it was an AMBULANCE transport *twice*. How in the hell can you not think it was an emergency? It's not like he broke a damn fingernail and called 911! PAY THE F***ING BILL ALREADY!

Ya know, while we're at it, why don't you quit denying all of the other claims too. The auto insurance medical coverage is exhausted. They paid the hospital already! Now, get off your asses and start payin' some bills!!

i have been going thru absolute H E L L with insurance companies for the past 5 years - both auto and comp carriers - and i have just about had it!

i think it would be best for me to put the whole story on MySpace or something so that everyone knows - too many don't know until they suffer and go through it -

all insurance companies should rot in H E L L for what they do to people - they are liars, cheats, cons, frauds, - you name it!

Back