What's new
Cooking Forum

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

buttery good pie crust?

P

peacherina

Hello everyone. Does anyone have a good , good recipe for a pie crust. I would like to make a nice buttery flaky pie crust. I have tried in the past and it came out ok when I was able to get it rolled out right. Thank you.

have you tried this recipe yet?

Butter Pie Crust

1/4 c powdered sugar
1 c all-purpose flour
6 tb cold butter or margarine
3 tb ice water
2 c dried beans (for weight)

Makes one 8- or 9-inch crust

Combine sugar, flour and salt in bowl. Add butter and mix with pastry blender or fingertips until mixture resembles coarse meal. Add water. Gather pastry into a ball and pat into flat round. Wrap in plastic wrap and chill 1 hour.

On a lightly floured surface, roll pastry into a circle 1/8-inch thick and fit into a lightly greased pie pan. Trim edges evenly, then flute or crimp decoratively. Place in freezer at least 15 minutes while preheating oven to 425 F.

Line piecrust with greased waxed paper or parchment and fill with dried beans (to weigh down crust). Bake 15 minutes, until edges brown and crust is firm enough to support it. Remove paper and beans. Prick bottom of crust with a fork. For a partially baked crust, bake 5 minutes longer, until lightly browned. For a fully baked crust, bake 10 minutes longer, until completely browned.

If you're having trouble rolling - would you like to try pressing??

Stir-in (baked) Pastry Shell

1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
1 1/2 tsp. sugar
1 tsp. salt
1/2 cup salad oil
2 Tbsp. very cold milk

Into an 8 inch pie plate, sift the flour, sugar, and the salt. In a measuring cup, combine the oil and milk, beating well with a fork then pour it over the flour mixture. Mix with the fork until the flour is completely dampened. Using your fingers, press out evenly to cover the bottom, sides and the rim of the pie plate. Press the fork evenly around the rim to insure a good seal to the plate and then prick the sides and bottom thoroughly. Bake the shell at 425 for 12 to 15 mins. or until golden brown.

and here's one more -

Butter Pastry

2-1/2 cups all-purpose flour
1 teaspoon salt (scant)
1 teaspoon sugar
1 cup cold butter (2 sticks, cut into small pieces)
1/3 to 1/2 cup ice water

Put the flour, salt and sugar in a food processor. Pulse a few times to mix.
Add the butter pieces to flour mixture, and process about 10 seconds until mixture is consistency of coarse meal.
With the food processor running, slowly add ice water in a thin stream just until the dough holds together. Do not process the dough for more than half a minute.
(To hand-mix the dough, mix the flour, salt and sugar in a large bowl. Add the butter pieces, and cut in with a pastry blender until mixture is consistency of coarse meal. Then mix dough, sprinkling ice water until dough holds together.)
Turn dough out and wrap securely in plastic wrap. Refrigerate for 1 hour before rolling out. Makes enough pastry for a 9-inch, double-crust pie. May be frozen for 3 months.

Mama Mangia, you truly are an executive chef!! Thanks so much.

I forgot to put that yes I do have trouble rolling. so this will definitely help me out.

Back