What's new
Cooking Forum

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

What was your worse............

Mama Mangia

Super Moderator
We have all eaten out - either at a friends' house, community event, while shopping at the mall, or dining in a restaurant or diner.

What was your worse dining experience???

I have 2 that I wish I would never have experienced.

The first one was at a family restaurant (not fast food), with a semi-pricy menu. It was a Friday and it was during Lent and fish was what we had wanted. I like fish - but I don't want my fish served to me with his head on and eyes open! Sure 'nuff - we had eye-to-eye contact. All his fins in tact. Sure looked like "the fresh catch of the day" to me! Sorry to say - that was NOT my idea of a FISH FRY. I thought I was going to lose it right there - I stood up and walked right out the door - green behind the gills. After that - I had a hard time ordering fish for quite some time.

Another was at the mall - during the holidays when the whole world is out shopping as well. We were so hungry and we just had to grab something to eat. We ordered from Sbarro - calzone and soda. Sure as shooting - the lady at the next table - less than an arm lengths away - was eating Chinese food - she had just sat down a few moments before us. I placed the tray on the table and I'm taking off my jacket to eat - and this woman throws up all over the table. Once again - I stood up and walked out green behind the gills. Need I say - I didn't eat the rest of that day.

A baby can spitup on me - I don't care - but if you start to kiss the porcelain God - I'm right there with you - no stomach for it!

So tell - have you had any dining experiences that you would like to forget?:eek:

I don't know that I've had too many bad food experiences, but my worst dining experience had to do with the server. *ugh*

I love Mexican food and my husband and I had gone out to dinner at a nice sit down type place on a Saturday evening. The girl brought chips, salsa and our drinks, took our order and off she went. She came back ONCE and that was to bring our food. I'd ordered a salad and needed some dressing that they'd forgotten. So I just waited. I never unfolded my napkin, never touched my food, just waited thinking she'd at least stop by to see how everything was. Nope. There were 2 empty glasses and empty chips and salsa sitting on the egde of the table, and it still didn't get her attention.

Another table across the room from us had the same waitress and had complained to her about her horrible service, got up and refilled their own chips and drinks, and eventually called a manager over.

Well, being the pregnant grumpy person I was, sat in my seat with my arms crossed shooting death stares at this girl for 35 minutes before I'd had enough. My husband had totally finished his meal by this point (I didn't want his food to get cold, so I told him to just eat). I went and found a manager, complained, got my food boxed WITH the dressing, and got the meal for free.

I'm pretty sure the girl was fired that night and within a month the entire restaurant closed down.

I'm not a high maintanence diner, but jeez...check my drink once in a while and at least ask if the meal came out like it was ordered.

You can only blame the manager for what happened! That server did not belong on the floor - she was not properly trained. Either that or she had a bug up her hiney! I am one person that does not like to see anyone lose a job - but there are times it is warranted. The manager should have been fired with her. As far as the restaurant closing - it was probably best - if their customer service was that pathetic can you just imagine what was going on behind closed doors there!

Serving the public is one of the worse jobs there can be. Some customers are the rudest and most inconsiderate people ever. They can make any server want to quit or want to stay away from their table. There are so many "thankless" jobs out there and servers are right up there with cashiers, gas station attendants, etc. And it takes a very special person to be able to wait tables, keep a smile on their face and give everyone what they want when they want it.

From being in the restaurant business for so long - I know what it is like to work every position - from dishwashing to management - and I am like you - I am not a high maintenance diner either. Just check to make sure all is well and possibly get a refill on a drink, and ask if dessert is wanted. (preferably questions will be asked when my mouth isn't full or when I am chewing something that is chewable! LOL)

My experience ALWAYS depends on the waiter or waitress. It can make or break a good/not so good dinner. Being a waitress myself, I know what can and can't be done when you are busy or not and I try to be understanding to an extent. As long as I know they are trying, I don't get too worked up and it doesn't affect their tip much.

As far as worst dinners... OMG. I'm NOT a fan of seafood at all. When we went to Mexico (for the first time to meet my fiance, now husband, parents) I ended up getting some disgusting shrimp in a red sauce and you are supposed to eat them on tortillas. I actually gagged and had to go into the bathroom twice to throw up. Not a good first impression. lol. I was SOOOO HUNGRY too!! I choked down about 3 SMALL bites. My husband was going to order some pork dinner (changed his mind), and I was chatting it up with his parents and said "Ill take the same thing he's having"... lol, boy I'll never do that again!!!

LMAO - not at you mtmomj - but I made that mistake ONCE - never again will I take what he is having! It was a disaster, I got soooooo sick on it. There were 20 of us having dinner and I was so embarrassed. What a nightmare to remember!

The worst dining experience my husband and I had was at a new restaurant. Every time I set my utensils down the waiter was right over taking them away. They were so eager to be a good waiters they went way over board. I got up to go to the restroom and the waiter was right over trying to take my plate of food and utensils and my husband had to tell them that I was not done eating yet. The food was really good.

LMAO - not at you mtmomj - but I made that mistake ONCE - never again will I take what he is having! It was a disaster, I got soooooo sick on it. There were 20 of us having dinner and I was so embarrassed. What a nightmare to remember!

Lol, definitely a nightmare and one that I'll never live down! haha. It is something his parents still bring up and tell their family and friends about.

Ohhh, I still remember that look from his parents like SHE IS GOING TO THE BATHROOM AGAIN after already spending like 15 minutes in there and having to go back in there again. :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: Mortified. lol.

Back