What's new
Cooking Forum

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Chopping onion without tears

C

chefdiva

There are many tips on how to chop onions without crying but I never found one that really works. Lately I read this one on Reader's Digest magazine. Freeze the onion for 30 minutes before chopping it. I can not always freeze an onion and wait 30 minutes before I chop it so this one also doesn't work for me.

I heard running it under cold water as you chop will help. But how do you chop while holding the onion under water in the sink? I like your suggestion better.

I use two tactics and considering I have to chop LOTS of onions. I find they work pretty well together.
1st. Put the onion in the refrigerator and get it good and cold. or in the freezer until it is good and cold either one
2nd. use a small tabletop fan and blow it straight across the cutting board and onion away from you. it works pretty well.

I find the easiest way to avoid tears while chopping onions is to use only sweet onions such as Vidalias I have chopped quite a few sweet onions and have never cried while chopping them. I like the idea about using a fan while chopping the onions. Of course the fool proof way is to throw the onions into a food processor and let it do the chopping for you.

Food processor is good too! But beware when opening the top the fumes are caustic. LOL

Some onions just want to make you weep.

But not Videlia Onions! Too bad they're only available in the spring and early summer.

I've also had good luck with the Mayan Sweet onions.

It's also helpful to have an open kitchen that lets the onion vapors float somewhere else.

How about the Walla Walla Sweets? Are they as easy on the eyes as the Vidalias are?

I am always slicing and chopping onions and at times I think I am immune from it!

I do have one of those old choppers - the glass mug-type thingie with the crisscross blades that you pound on the knobbie thingie to chop. (how's that for a description!) Just pound away and it's done.

Plus I find that when I have a lot of onions to chop - I just clean, peel and wash and if I leave them to sit for 5 to 10 minutes the chopping brings no tears.

Back