What's new
Cooking Forum

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Easy Meatballs in Mushroom Gravy

Mama Mangia

Super Moderator
Easy Meatballs in Mushroom Gravy

2 lbs hamburger
5 Tbsp chopped onion
2 cups soft bread crumbs
1 tsp salt
1/2 tsp pepper
2 eggs, beaten

Mix all ingredients and form into 1 inch meatballs. Roll in flour and brown in hot oil. Cover meatballs with one can cream of mushroom soup diluted with 1/2 cup of water. Cover and simmer for 30 minutes.

Another great one. I will have to try that. Looks easy too.

I have made meatballs a few times but it seems to take so long to shape and brown them! I'm not usually one for using pre-prepared things like this but I'll confess that when I need meatballs I get a bag of frozen ones from Sam's Club. I like to make them from scratch but I just do not have the patience.

I love meatballs in gravy though. This sounds very tasty.

TexasRose - a friend of mine has no interest in shaping and frying meatballs - so she pats the meatball mixture in a pan and bakes till done, cuts in squares and calls them meatballs. She uses the "scraps" from cutting to make gravy.

That's a great idea. I actually have the same problem with shaping meatballs so I may try that myself.

Surely there's a kitchen gadget somewhere to automate this. I mean, there's a gadget for everything else. Must look into this...

That's a great idea. I actually have the same problem with shaping meatballs so I may try that myself.

Surely there's a kitchen gadget somewhere to automate this. I mean, there's a gadget for everything else. Must look into this...

OMG! I have on of those meatballers! The little gizmo that looks like a pair of scissors or something with a half circle "thingie" on each end. You're supposed to scoop the meat and it shapes it - YEAH RIGHT!!!! Takes more time to dig the meat out of the two halves and you have to shape them anyway after you put the halves together!

Anyone else stupid enough to have one of those????

I have never tried the meatballer gadget, but it certainly seems like it's more trouble than it's worth. Maybe I will pass that one by.

I would suggest that someone talk to a potter. I think I remember seeing a potter using something like a pharmacists piller to shape clay balls.

I had one of those meatballers years ago. Probably the only kitchen gadget I ever tossed as worthless.

I use an appropriately sized disher for meatballs. Dishers are great for portion control, as well as shaping anything that has to be round or patty-shaped. For meatballs the one I use is about 2 tbls capacity.

For something like meatballs, where I'm making a lot of them, I start by scooping the meat and dropping it on a sheetpan. Once all the meat is used up I go back and round the balls with a quick roll between my palms. Then continue from there.

I've tried the pre-frozen balls. To me it seems as though the meat was overworked, and the balls are tough. Once down that road was enough.

I don't make them very often, but my biggest problem is keeping them round, and sometimes, intact while cooking. It gets to the point I just deep fry them lol..

I've made meatballs all my life - I measure like my ancestors - use my hand! Scoop and shape; place in frying pan and go on to the next. When I make meatballs for the freezer - its 10 - 20 pounds of meat - scoop, shape and drop in the pan (s). Four burners with cast iron skillets going at once! Mix 5 lbs. meat at a time - too old for doing 20 pounds at once any more! They are all uniform and the same size. Works for me!

Back