What's new
Cooking Forum

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Smelly drains

M

medako

Lately I've noticed that my kitchen sink drains smell. I run plenty of soapy dishwater down, and I run the gargabe disposal pretty often (even though I don't normally put food scraps down it).

How do I get rid of the smell? Is there a magic potion that will make it smell like fresh flowers or something yummy? :)

I don't have that problem - maybe it is because I soak my sink constantly with hot water and bleach - and of course it goes right down the drain.

You can try that - then you can pour a box of baking soda down the drain and in the garbage disposal - or use lemon juice in both.

Lemon juice will make your kitchen smell nice - bleach makes it smell antiseptic - and baking soda - well - what can I say - LOL

but I am a firm believer of filling the sink with hot water and pouring bleach in it - let it sit until you can pull the plug without par-boiling your arm and hand!

I do it a few times a week - maybe I am OCG??? LOL!

and if you put your dishrag in and soak it - it comes out perfectly clean - works great after cleaning dishes and pots and pans from sauce-type meals like spaghetti, etc. - no stains left! just rinse in clean cold water and its good to go!

maybe I'll try soaking it in bleach. I don't mind the bleachy smell.

I don't know what's causing it and it's driving me crazy. It's not usually like this. I'm wondering if maybe the water isn't draining out into the septic as fast right now because of all the rain we've been getting and so maybe it's going a little stale while it's still in the pipes?

it could be something to do with your septic - we don't have septic but i have seen ads on TV for rid-x for septic systems - would using that help in anyway?? just a thought -

so far, so good. I ran down some soda and vinegar and a little drain-o type stuff (just in case there was a clog). I haven't noticed a smell since.

I usually put a lemon or a lime down in the sink where the garbage disposor is and turn it on every now and then. We never put food scraps down the sink cause we need new pipes and all that. However, the lemon does freshing it up. I will have to try the soda and vinegar.

I just put in a new garbage disposal and I noticed a smell not long after so I started doing the bleach thing, too, and it works. I also dump a box of baking soda down there every couple of weeks and let it sit for a while. But I've also started grinding up my orange peels and lemon peels in there and it makes the kitchen smell fabulous. Hint: Cut the orange peels is smallish pieces as you put them down the disposal. Sometimes the bigger pieces jam and you have to reach down in there to get them loose - yuck!

DW is a cleaning freak. It's a hobby of hers, and actually was part of her career at one time. Her TNT is bleach for sure, but also Baking Soda followed with white vinegar. The foam will drift down and touch all the walls of the pipe. The vinegar is acidic and cleans, and the baking soda cleans and scours as well.

For a new run, she likes hot water and bleach, and for maintenance, she likes the foaming power of baking soda and vinegar. Use a trickle of hot water to push the foam down, and once done, lots of hot water to flush.

Perhaps I should relate a story here that happened to me a while back so you can check, especially if you recently had work done on your sinks plumbing:

Make sure the trap is still there! My Aunt had a friend do some pipe work for her and he basically made the drain pipes go straight (he took out that little U shape in the pipe). The trap keeps some water in the pipe, which in turn creates a seal between your air, and the pipe/septic. If there is no water there, you could get gas coming back from your sewer/septic.

If you do have a trap, make sure it isn't leaking all the water out too as this could also lead to gases coming back up.

I used to have a septic tank and about once a month I would flush about 2 tsp. of yeast down the toilet to keep it working down there!
I like eveyone's ideas and esp. running the orange and lemon peels thru the garbage disposal, it works~~~and I love good ole' bleach in the sink, toilet etc. just do not let it sit full strength too long in metal pipes (pvc is OK) it will eat away at the metal and cause minute leaks in the U-pipe and that can be a bummer under your kitchen sink!

Perhaps I should relate a story here that happened to me a while back so you can check, especially if you recently had work done on your sinks plumbing:

Make sure the trap is still there! My Aunt had a friend do some pipe work for her and he basically made the drain pipes go straight (he took out that little U shape in the pipe). The trap keeps some water in the pipe, which in turn creates a seal between your air, and the pipe/septic. If there is no water there, you could get gas coming back from your sewer/septic.

If you do have a trap, make sure it isn't leaking all the water out too as this could also lead to gases coming back up.
YOU are right Jafo, sometimes this happens due to the faulty drainage system.water stored in the U shaped pipe also cause the same smell .The reversal of the gas also cause the same thing .

Hello friend,
I think you can use hot water with bleach or lemon, it can minimize the smell or you can use some sort of scented fluids which are available in market in many flavors.But I will suggest you to first consult to some plumber because without inspecting the situation we can't say what exactly is a problem because it doesn't smells more normally so check it from some good plumber of your near area.:eek:

Regards,
Nelson
a1plumbers.com/

I also use baking soda with hot white vinegar. Works like a charm. Sometimes I squeeze some lemon juice in the vinegar so it smells better.

I would go about it two ways!

1.Vinegar and Baking soda down the hatch and when the foam stops hot water rinse.
2. Cut a lemon in half and disposal it completely

Keep in mind too that when it comes to a sink's garbage disposal- pouring frozen ice cubes down it weekly (while its running) helps keep the blades sharp.

If your elbow is intack it shouldn't be any smell from the sewer or septic tank. So your smell might be coming from the elbow itself. Does it drain very slow?

Back