What's new
Cooking Forum

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Frosting?? Need help asap

A

Ashworth3715

Hi I am trying to figure out a way to make a fluffy frosting for my daughters birthday cake. Problem is she has severe food allergies. Anyone know any allergen free frosting recipes? I'm looking for a white frosting.

RECIPE MUST BE FREE OF MILK, SOY, EGGS, AND NUTS. Which means no shortening, and no butter. But rice milk is ok.

Thanks for any help.

How about confectioners sugar whipped with rice milk? Can you use anything like cool whip non dairy topping??? Or mix a box of pudding with rice milk for a quick frosting??

can you use rice milk for this?

Chocolate Blender Frosting

Put 1 cup of granulated sugar in a blender. Cover and blend on high speed for a minute. (It will start to look much like powdered sugar).

Add 3 - 1oz. squares of unsweetened chocolate - cut in small pieces - 2/3 cup of evaporated milk - 1 tsp. vanilla and a dash of salt.

Blend on high speed about 3 minutes or until spreading consistency. The blender will change sounds and you will be able to tell it is ready.

It stays very soft and delicious even after 3 - 4 days. Be sure to cover as any other cake you want to keep fresh. I spray a piece of foil lightly with a non-stick spray to keep the foil from attaching to the frosting.

Both of those sound really yummy one problem I have is rice milk doesn't contain the same thing regular milk does that makes the pudding set up. (I tried making chocolate pudding once and found this out; it was basically chocolate milk.)

And i've tried just adding powdered sugar in with vanilla flavored rice milk and same problem it never thickens up the way frosting should. Ugh i'm probably S.O.L. hu?

Oh and I once considered gelatin but sadly anything that comes from a cow is off limits to my daughter as well.

*I just love food allergies*

Mint Chocolate Cake
Makes 1 9- × 13-inch cake

For the cake

* 2 1/4 cups flour
* 4 1/2 tablespoons cocoa powder
* 1 1/2 cups sugar
* 1/2 cup vegetable oil
* 1 1/2 teaspoons baking soda
* 1 1/2 tablespoons white vinegar
* 1 1/2 teaspoons vanilla extract
* 1 1/2 cups cold water

Preheat the oven to 350°F.

Lightly oil a 9- × 13-inch nonstick baking pan.

Combine and mix the dry ingredients until blended well. Add the wet ingredients and stir quickly. Once smooth, pour the batter into the pan and bake for 25 to 30 minutes. (Note: As each oven is different, after 20 minutes, check the cake by inserting a fork or knife into it. If the utensil comes out clean, it?s done!)

Let the cake cool completely before frosting with icing (recipe below).

For the icing

* 1 12-ounce bag dairy-free chocolate chips
* 1/4 cup soy or rice milk
* 1 tablespoon peppermint extract

Melt the chips in a saucepan over very low heat. Add the vegan milk and peppermint extract. Stir continuously, adding more vegan milk or mint extract, until reaching the desired consistency and taste.

Let icing cool completely before frosting the cake.

Carrot Muffins
Serves 6 to 8

* 1 cup whole-wheat flour
* 1 cup oat bran
* 1 tablespoon cornstarch
* 1 teaspoon baking soda
* 1 teaspoon baking powder
* 1 teaspoon all-spice
* 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
* 2/3 cup grated carrots
* 1/3 cup maple syrup
* 1 cup water
* 1/4 cup canola oil

Preheat the oven to 375oF.

In a large mixing bowl, combine all of the dry ingredients (flour through cinnamon) and the grated carrots. Add all of the wet ingredients, maple syrup through oil. Mix well.

Pour the batter into a lightly oiled muffin pan and bake for 25 to 30 minutes, or until an inserted toothpick comes out clean.

Fluffy Pancakes
Serves 4

* 1 1/2 cups flour
* 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
* 1 teaspoon baking powder
* 1 tablespoon sugar
* 1 1/2 cups soymilk or water
* 2 tablespoons vegetable oil

Mix together the dry ingredients and then stir in the wet ingredients. If the batter is too thick, add 1 tablespoon of water at a time until reaching the desired consistency.

Pour onto a pan with a nonstick surface and cook over medium heat, turning once when the edges begin to bubble and brown.

Here is a recipe for chocolate cake with chocolate frosting that is absolutely delicious!!

1/3 cup canola oil
1/2 cup rice milk
2 t vanilla extract
1 egg substitute (Ener-G Egg Replacer). This is 2 t of the egg replacer
mix the above in a mixer
1 cup brown sugar
3/4 t salt
1 1/4 t baking soda
1 t xanthan gum (available at Health food stores. Very expensive, but goes a long way)
1/2 cup unsweetened cocoa
1/4 cup tapioca flour
1/2 cup potato starch
1/2 cup brown rice flour
mix the above
3/4 cup HOT water

oil a 9 inch pan and pour in. Bake at 350 for app. 30 minutes.
cool and frost
Mix cocoa, powdered sugar, enough oil just to moisten a tiny bit. Add water VERY SLOWLY. It takes a lot of stirring to initially mix it. If you want a thin consitency, add a lot of water, if you want a thicker frosting, add a little bit of water. I usually just add the cocoa and powdered sugar and then I taste to see if it's too sweet or too bitter.

Sorry I haven't been around for a couple days - a family friend passed away. But I am still looking for recipes for you.

Buttercream Frosting

1/4 cup dairy-free butter, softened

1 cup organic powdered sugar

1 tsp gluten-free vanilla

1 tbl rice or almond milk (Rice Dream brand has a tiny bit of gluten-so avoid that brand if you are sensitive)

2 tbl raspberry or strawberry juice for the pink color (I had some frozen berries in the freezer, just defrosted and squeezed the juice out)

Cream butter-mix in powdered sugar, vanilla, and rice milk. Beat until smooth. Add more milk to reach desired consistency. Refridgerate to harden. Spread on cookies and refridgerate again.

Back