What's new
Cooking Forum

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

English Muffins

O

oldbay

English Muffins are "baked" on a cast iron griddle.

Ingredients:
  • one envelope of yeast
  • one quarter cup lukewarm water
  • one cup scalded milk
  • two tablespoon sugar
  • 1 1/2 teaspoon salt
  • three tablespoons butter
  • four cups flour
  • cornmeal

Scald 1 cup milk and mix in 2 tablespoons sugar, 1 1/2 teaspoon salt and 3 tablespoons butter. Let the milk cool. Meanwhile, soften one envelope of yeast in one quarter cup lukewarm water mixed with with 1/2 tsp sugar. When milk is cool, add the softened yeast and 2 cups flour and beat thoroughly. Add 2 more cups flour or enough to make a moderately soft dough.

Turn the dough out onto a lightly floured board and knead until smooth and satiny. Place the dough in a buttered bowl, butter the top suface lightly cover and let rise any warm place until doubled in bulk (for about 1 1/2 hours). Punch down the dough let rest and rise for 10 minutes.

Sprinkle white cornmeal on a board and roll the muffin dough out 1/4" thick. Cut dough into 3 inch rounds; sprinkle top with white cornmeal. Cover and let them rise for about 45 minutes or until doubled in bulk. Bake the English Muffins on the ungreased griddle. Have a griddle hot at first and then reduce the heat to the muffins will cook slowly. Bake the Engilish Muffins for about seven minutes on each side.

I love English muffins -----------------and bagels, and certain breads - I just cannot live without them - I am such a carb-hound! LOL

You can probably make a more carb friendly by substituting one half to one half cups of whole wheat flour for the plain white flour.

I love English muffins -----------------and bagels, and certain breads - I just cannot live without them - I am such a carb-hound! LOL

Me too.....why the Atkins diet would never, ever be an option for me.

Back