What's new
Cooking Forum

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Hey, All

K

KYHeirloomer

Just joined this forum and thought I'd say "hello."

I'm an avid foodie (some of you will know me from other sites) and cook from central Kentucky, where I live with my best friend (and bride of 40 years) on 13 acres. We raise many of our own vegetables; all heirlooms, as I refuse to put a hybrid in the ground.

I'm a freelance writer by trade, with gardening, food, and cookery among my specialties. And I'm the managing director of the Appalachian Heirloom Seed Conservancy---a not-for-profit organization dedicated to preserving the edible heritage of the mountain south.

And I'm the managing director of the Appalachian Heirloom Seed Conservancy---a not-for-profit organization dedicated to preserving the edible heritage of the mountain south.

What a cool thing to do for a living :)

I have some mint that my grandmother brought to the US from Lithuania around 1910. My mother had it in her garden and now I do. It has a wide leaf about 1 1/2" wide. Is this something you'd be interested in or are you working with local plants?

As both an individual and representative of AHSC, my concern is with local heirlooms; plants that have been grown in the mountain south and passed down, one generation to another.

The exception, for me, are medicinal herbs; herbalism is another of my things, and I don't care where they came from if they do the job I need them for.

I'm sure, though, that there are many heirlooms enthusiasts who would be interested in your grandmother's mint. Check out some of the seed-trading mail lists and herbal forums.

I've been meaning to contact someone since hearing a story on the local NPR station about heirloom seed keepers. I'll search for some of the lists you're talking about. It's really a unique mint.

HI AGAIN KYH,

I GOT TO WONDERING WHAT KIND OF HEIRLOOMS YOU WERE INTERESTED IN AND JUST READ YOUR BIO AND FIRST ENTRY ON SPICE PLACE. WHAT AN INTERESTING THING TO TRY AND HELP PRESERVE THE HERITAGE OF LOCAL CROPS ETC. I OFTEN SPY PLANTS THAT GROW OUTSIDE THAT RESEMBLE FOR INSTANCE: WILD TURNIPS, OR MUSTARD GREENS AND AM ALLWAYS TEMPTED TO PICK AND COOK SOME :eek: IT'S JUST THEY LOOK SO INVITING AND I JUST HAVE NEVER BEEN BRAVE ENOUGH (DON'T WANT TO POISION MYSELF). IS THERE NOT SOMETHING CALLED WILD PURSLANE? THAT IS EDIBLE? I AM VERY INTERESTED IN THIS CAN YOU HELP DIRECT ME WHERE TO BEGIN TO SEARCH? WE HAVE A MARVELOUS LIBRARY HERE IN ROME, GA AND I COULD PROBABLY CHECK OUT ANY BOOKS YOU MIGHT SUGGEST. WHEN I WAS A YOUNG WOMAN WE GARDENED EXTENSIVELY, AND I CANNED AND FROZE ALL OUR VEGGIES, AND JAMS, ETC. EVEN WON PRIZES AT THE COUNTY FAIR FOR MY CANNED GOODIES! THAT WAS MANY YRS. AGO, BUT I STILL LONG TO FIND A WAY TO EAT FRESH VEGGIES, AND WOULD THINK IT WONDERFUL IF I COULD JUST HARVEST OUT OF THE LOCAL WOODS!

THANK YOU, CCCATHY

PS: THE REASON I WAS WONDERING WHAT KIND OF HEIRLOOMS YOU WERE INTERESTED IN IS BECAUSE I FOUND AN ANTIQUE CHAIR LAST NIGHT! AND IT MADE ME START THINKING.....ANTIQUES ...HEIRLOOMS........KYHEIRLOOMER!

Last edited:
Cathy,

Purslane actually is a wild plant, that grows like a weed all over the south. It's almost as ubiquitous as chickweed.

There are a number of guides to edible wild plants. See, for instance, any of Eull (?) Gibbons' books (such as Stalking The Wild Aspargus). There is also at least one card deck you can carry around that identifies edible wildings.

I'm sure if you do a search under edible wild plants a lot will show up.

I would love to do that sort of foraging. Unfortunately I just don't have the time for it. So, other than a trip or two in the spring, for fernheads and mushrooms, I have to forego it.

Thank You KYH,

I am going to persue this and I just think that for instance wild greens would be loaded with vitamins and minerals esp. if growing wild where the ground has been untouched and lots of natural composting has taken place to nourish these plants.

I know folks that harvest morrell mushrooms in Michigan and brag on the terrific flavor. Myself I'd never even trust a wild mushroom of any description, but that's just me!

I grew up in Miami, Fl and as a child we ate just about anything we found, even wild flowers. Our & our neighbors yards were alive with fruit and veggie trees of all varieties. I still do not know why we never got sick, maybe our natural instincts were good and we just knew what not to eat. Some of my fondest memories were picking and eating wild mulberries from this huge tree and never once did we fall from that grand old tree :D Have you ever had loquats? (not kumquats) Loquats slightly resemble a small apricot, and are delicious!

Well cheers, Cathy

Last edited:
Back