What's new
Cooking Forum

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Garlic Mashed Potatoes

Roxanne

I made this the other night and it was really good.

Peel and boil russet potatoes..I am guessing that I used 8 potatoes. Use more or less potatoes, butter and garlic according to how much you need to feed your household. Mince 1 large garlic clove in a food processor. I used 3 cloves. When the potatoes are almost done, melt 3 tablespoons butter in a medium saucepan over medium-low heat; add garlic and saute until tender. I am guessing that I cooked this mixture for about 10 minutes. Using your mixer, mash the potatoes with milk. I like to use whipping cream if I have it on hand. Add the garlic and butter mixture and mix on low. Salt and pepper potatoes to taste.

Say It Isn't So

Roxanne, did you really break out your food processor, and use it, just for 3 garlic cloves. And then wash, dry, and reassemble it?

Omigod!

Here's a quick way of handling garlic. Lay the peeled clove on your work surface. Cover with the flat side of your chef's knife. Pound the blade, hitting it right over the clove. If necessary, after smashing it, a quick chop or two will mince it up just fine.

I don't even peel the cloves of garlic. Just lay them flat, hit them with the blade and pull off the skin. Then chop. It's like magic!

Thank you for the tip, but, I like using my food processor. I use it alot and I don't mind cleaning it. Maybe I will get brave and do it the way you suggested someday.

If you chop the garlic by hand like I do, keep some coffee grinds around to wipe over your hands to remove the garlic smell. Works like magic except now your hands smell like coffee until you wash them. :)

Hey Old Bay I have heard that you are suppose to take a lemon and cut it in half and then rub that on your hands to remove the garlic or onion smell from your hands. Of course make sure to wash your hands after putting the lemon on your hands otherwise you will walk around sticking to everything when they dry.

Back