What's new
Cooking Forum

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Pet Birds

L

loubear

Does anyone out there have any pet birds? We just purchased a Senagal parrot and this bird loves to eat. If you have a pet bird what kind of human food do you feed it and how do you prepare it.

I do not not have any birds but was curious as to whether the Senagal Parrot talks? I know some Parrots are talkers.

Senagal Parrot

This parrot is only 8 months old and we are working with her on talking.

From my talking with folks that owned parrots, you are in for the time of your life. An interesting voyage into how other creatures live and have their own families. I think I would try to feed a parrot anything except it's normal diet of nuts and seeds (and what ever else is normal). Watch our for the parrot's teen years :)

Well everyday this bird cracks me up the way this bird is like a dog. If anyone has food she will practically break her neck to get to them. Senegals personalities are very calm compared to macaws or larger birds though. Senagals are very quiet birds and are very sweet and cuddley, although she can be a bit nippy at times when she is tired or hungry.

We had an African Grey for years. They are very finicky birds but really smart and great talkers, he basically came to be like an obnoxious little brother to me. He ate all sorts of fruits and nuts, but he also loved peanut M&Ms, hard candy suckers so that he could hold the stick, and loved soda if you held the bottom a straw with soda in it! Awww, now I miss the little guy. :(

Hi Loubear

Hi Loubear,

You and I have not met yet, but I wanted to reply to your post when I found it! I know you placed this post quite a while back. But I just came across it today and I simply must communicate with you on this darling pet you have. I worked about 2yrs at an Animal Hospital and we specialized in Avian & Exotics. There were many bird clients, so I learned alot to say the least, and I remember a little although it has been a few years back! I also worked in a pet shop that sold EVERYTHING - I was the "reptile spe******t" yes I handled snakes :eek:!

Now about your parrot....tell me.. how are you enjoying your "little one"? And what's it's name? I love all bird species! And it seems the feeling is mutual, as they seem to gravitate to me :confused: I think it's my voice, but really do not know for sure! Since they have never told me why (at least the ones that do talk :D)

Anyway your question here was about feeding your "little one" I am sure since you 1st posted this you have consulted a good many resources and have learned alot. The best advice that I can give is aviod letting your baby have anything with butter or margarine it's not too healthy for them to have all the extra fat. Do you have a veterinarian in your area that handles avians just in case of a sickness? Birds live long lives in general with good care, handling and nutrition. I recommend that you make sure your parrot was tested for "psittacosis" and was deemed free of the disease, it is not something you want floating around in your home, as it is unhealthy for you & yours. Just for safety's sake. Many people do not know about this.

Other that that for an introduction - I just wanted to say hi and see how you are liking your "baby"? And maybe you can post a photo of this "little one"?

Nice meeting you, CCCathy

Back