What's new
Cooking Forum

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Deviled Eggs

Roxanne

Deviled Eggs:

6 hard-cooked eggs
3 tablespoons mayonnaise, salad dressing or half-and half
1/2 teaspoon dry mustard
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon pepper
Paprika

Cut peeled eggs lengthwise into halves. Slip out yolks; mash with fork. Mix in mayonnaise, mustard, salt and pepper. Fill whites with egg yolk mixture; heaping it lightly. Sprinkle top of eggs with paprika. Arrange eggs on large serving plate. Cover and refrigerate up to 24 hours.

Hi Roxanne,
Thanks for sharing your recipe. I usually also sprinkle on a little chopped dried parsley and place slice of green olive w/red pimento center on top of each deviled egg for added color and flavor. These usually go like hot potatoes. Folks just tend to eat with their eyes too! Also if you haven't got dry mustard you can use regular old mustard that you use to squeeze on your hotdogs, it tastes good too.
In my opinion Deviled Eggs are the "comfort food" of all "comfort foods"!
:) Cathy

To kick these up a notch, mash some skinless/boneless sardines and mix with the yolks. This is a poor-man's version of Eggs A La Russe. True Eggs A La Russe use caviar.

I also have a cute little device that lets me make square hard-boiled eggs. For parties etc. I use it whenever making stuffed eggs, cuz it really gets the conversation going. Even more so if I first cube the eggs, turn them into Amish-style red beet eggs, then divide and fill.

Very interesting KYHeirloomer

To kick these up a notch, mash some skinless/boneless sardines and mix with the yolks. This is a poor-man's version of Eggs A La Russe. True Eggs A La Russe use caviar.

I also have a cute little device that lets me make square hard-boiled eggs. For parties etc. I use it whenever making stuffed eggs, cuz it really gets the conversation going. Even more so if I first cube the eggs, turn them into Amish-style red beet eggs, then divide and fill.

Please give me more info on the cubing of eggs, how is it done, by chopping them or putting them into a special device? What is a Amish style egg?
I am very interested in trying new things. Where did you get this device that lets you make square deviled eggs? How exactly do you make stuffed eggs? Is it just like making deviled eggs?

Last edited:
Hey, Loubear,

Good to see you back. What you been up to?

The egg cuber (try googling under that name) is a molding device. You peel a still-warm hard-boiled egg and put it in the mold. Eggs, while hot, are very plastic, and it soon takes the cubical shape of the mold. You then chill it, and it holds it's shape.

Stuffed eggs is just a more generic phrasing for deviled eggs, and encompasses all the variations on that theme. Eggs a la Russe, as referred to below, is just one version.

Red beet eggs are a way the Amish produce a lightly pickled & colored egg. Here's a basic recipe:

Hard boil a dozen eggs. Cool and peel.

Combine 1/2 cup brown sugar, 1/2 cup granulated sugar, 1/2 tsp salt, 1/4 cup water, 1/4 cup vinegar in a saucepan, and heat until sugars are dissolved. Add 1 quart canned beets with their juice. Pour this mixture over the eggs. Refrigerate at least 12 hours.

The longer the eggs stay in the mixture the darker they turn, and the deeper the color extends into the whites.

Merry Christmas KYH,

Those Red Beet Eggs are the best, my grandmother used to grow her own beets to pickle and she never let that time go without doing some of her pickled beet eggs as she called them! I learned so much about good eating from that humble little woman who grew up on a farm! Her cooking skills were the best! Warm apple and banana fritters sprinkled w/ powdered sugar, fresh fig or pear turnovers, and homemade fig newtons! We never went a day without fresh fruit salad! And her homemade guacamole was a given at every Christmas gathering! She was a health food nut long before it was the thing!

I would love to thank you and everyone for sharing!

CCCathy

Here's another pickled eggs recipe -

1 pint (16 oz.) red beets (you can use canned if you do not have homemade)
2 T. pickling spice
1 med. Onion, cut into rings
1 doz. hard cooked eggs
2 c. vinegar
4 c. water

Put hard cooked eggs in with rest of ingredients and refrigerate overnight so flavors can meld.

thanks for sharing

Hey, Loubear,

Good to see you back. What you been up to?

The egg cuber (try googling under that name) is a molding device. You peel a still-warm hard-boiled egg and put it in the mold. Eggs, while hot, are very plastic, and it soon takes the cubical shape of the mold. You then chill it, and it holds it's shape.

Stuffed eggs is just a more generic phrasing for deviled eggs, and encompasses all the variations on that theme. Eggs a la Russe, as referred to below, is just one version.

Red beet eggs are a way the Amish produce a lightly pickled & colored egg. Here's a basic recipe:

Hard boil a dozen eggs. Cool and peel.

Combine 1/2 cup brown sugar, 1/2 cup granulated sugar, 1/2 tsp salt, 1/4 cup water, 1/4 cup vinegar in a saucepan, and heat until sugars are dissolved. Add 1 quart canned beets with their juice. Pour this mixture over the eggs. Refrigerate at least 12 hours.

The longer the eggs stay in the mixture the darker they turn, and the deeper the color extends into the whites.

Thank you, I will have to try this, I can't wait for New Year's Day.

Just for the record, George, using the sardines is an alternate to Eggs A La Russe, in which caviar is mixed in.

IIRC, it was first suggested by Duncan Hines, and I've remembered it all these years.

Oh, don't use canned beets. Take time cook fresh beets up. So much better! And pickle them both. Yum!

Lizgirl,

Note that we're talking about an Amish recipe. Those are home-canned beats. And the solution is a pickling brine, so there's no need to doulble dip on the pickling.

When I make these I slice the beets and they remain in the liquid along with the eggs. I snack on both.

I never ate homemade canned red beets but I would imagine they would loose their texture like the store bought canned beets.

Hellmann's Mayo is my FAV (on the west coast and in Alaska it's called "Best Foods") but I was raised in the mid-west on Miracle Whip. Today I mostly hate the stuff and I tease my family to no end for it's severe sweetness (I jokingly tell them I could never slather my bologna sandwich with anything that could double as pancake syrup!) but there are a couple of things that I enjoy more when made w/ Miracle Whip, and deviled eggs is one of them. Anyone else?

I never could develop a taste for Miracle Whip. I grew up on Hellman's, and the other stuff just tastes off to me.

I am in agreement, KYH. It's not just the sweetness- it's the weird tang it has too. But as I said- I do prefer it in a couple of things. As much as I love Hellmann's, it just doesn't add enough taste to Ganny's macaroni salad- or to deviled eggs, for my taste.

Up north in the camps as you might imagine, we fed workers from all regions, the deep south & the gulf, the east, Plains folk-Okies/Texans, Idahoans, etc. The southerners always DEMANDED Miracle Whip be stocked in the galleys... also a brand of coffee I had never heard of before called "Neighbors Coffee".

Back