What's new
Cooking Forum

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Stuffed Broccoli

Roxanne

Stuffed Broccoli:

2 pkgs. (10 oz.s each) frozen chopped broccoli
4 T. butter
1/4 cup flour
2 chicken bouillon cubes
2 cups milk

Cook broccoli according to package directions. Drain and set aside. Melt butter. Add flour and mix. Add bouillon cubes and milk. Cook until sauce thickens. Grease 2-quart baking dish and place broccoli in it. Pour sauce over.

Topping

2 cups seasoned stuffing mix
6 tablespoons butter
2/3 cup water
2/3 chopped walnuts

Combine stuffing mix wih butter, water, and walnuts. Place on top of sauce, and bake at 350 F. for 20-30 minutes.

This sounds really tasty and so easy. I think I need to make this now because with all the Thanksgiving talk, I've been dreaming about stuffing. I think it would be great with some cranberry sauce on the side, too. Thanks, Roxanne!

Shouldn't this be titled Broccoli stuffing instead of stuffed broccoli? I mean, your not actually stuffing the broccoli?

This is an interesting thread. When I lived in MA, I people called any dish that had bread crumbs or stuffing in it "stuffed". But, apparently that isn't the case everywhere. There are other areas of the country where it's only called stuffed if stuffing is inserted into something else. Here in Texas, it seems that you have to put the stuffing into something else to call it stuffed. What's it called in your neck of the woods, Spice people

Cook Chatty Cathy

Hi Roxanne,
I am going to give this a try, and since I have a family member who can not eat nuts I am goint to substitute waterchestnuts for the walnuts! Thanks, Cathy

Down here in the South, we call it stuffing if it goes into a thing. But I have seen many recipes where they call it stuffing if it is baked around it. I saw an awesome “Stuffed Scallops” recipe not too long ago that just mixed the stuffing/dressing with the scallops (not inside the scallop, but around them) and baked it. So, I’d say it is definitely a geographical thing depends on what you grew-up hearing.

I don’t care what it’s called as long as I get to eat! LOL!

...it's all about the taste! What's in a name anyway...you could call it Broccoli Casserole, Broccoli Surprise...whatever....just call me at dinner time!!! I know it will smell terrific and probably taste great!!! But I am southern and have always thought of "stuffed" as meaning
stuffing goes inside, but now that I am a more mature person I guess it would only stand to reason that you could not stuff everything...it would be kind of hard! LOL

Don't let Keltin and Cathy fool you, folks.

The fact is, in the south we call it "dressing" as in turkey and dressing for Thanksgiving. Stuffing, in the south, is stuff like the horsehair that went into sofas. "Stuffing" as a bread-based side is a northern term.

From a culinary viewpoint it gets difficult. As a general rule, anything with a major bread component is referred to as stuffed, whether the bread goes into it or around it. Thus, Keltin's scallop recipe would be presented as stuffed. I used to make a shrimp dish that was similar, and had no problems referring to it as stuffed shrimp.

The real question is, at what point is the bread component considered major? If you just sprinkle some bread crumps on the top it's usually called a gratin, for instance. So there has to be a fair proportion of breadstuff. I just don't know if that's ever been actually defined.

Another related question. If the filling does not contain a major bread component, what then. For instance, stuffed acorn squash, filled with a rice/fruit mixture would be called stuffed squash. But what if the rice mixture formed a layer in the bottom of the pan, and the squash just sat on that. Is it still stuffed squash?

Omigod! I think I'm giving myself a headache.

Nice post KYH! Let me add to your headache....what about a duxelles? :)

Hello Keltin,

We gotta stick together on this stuffing thing :) but it would help if I knew what duxelles are? Can you let me know please. And thank you for the nice welcome aboard you gave me when I 1st signed on. By the way in a world of many spices and flavorings, what is your all time favorite? Mine is cinnamon...then pure vanilla extract..for sweet dishes. Garlic for anything else not sweet!!! Of couse they are all good, I not too long ago learned of a mix called "adobo" used by my many Mexican and Latino friends...LOVE IT!
I guess it is a seasoned salt, but is available just about everywhere.

Happy Cooking, Cathy

I just Looked up duxelles, I never knew the term for that concoction. If you saute it in wine I imagine it would be very tasty in stuffings for seafood especially!

I’m with you Cathy, we must unite and stick together to protect our glorious Southern Stuffing! LOL!

A duxelles is a mixture of finely chopped mushrooms, shallots, onions, and herbs sautéed in wine or butter (or both). It’s the base for many stuffing’s and sauces. Depending on the recipe, this might all that is used for stuffing.

As for my favorite spices? I loved seasoned salt, garlic powder, and onion powder. Those three make up my “Essence”.

Then of course sea salt, fresh ground pepper (it does make a difference to freshly grind it!).

Vanilla Extract is amazing. It smells so good, I want to drink it straight. In fact, I tried once......I don’t recommend doing that! LOL!

You beat me to it! LOL! It's amazing that even simple mixtures like that get their own names. Good stuff!

Yes indeed very good! And thank you for the definition!
I might make mention of this new way of preparing chicken thighs that I have; after washing thighs I remove skin and excess fat with kitchen shears, then I sprinkle with Adobo & garlic powder and place in crockpot, cover thighs with Bottled Hot Wing sauce [I use one put out by:Louisiana costs $1. per bottle @ Big Lots] and cook on slow all day. This was my answer to Hot Wings costing a bit more that I like to pay and the thighs you can catch on sale, and you get more meat and the taste is wonderful,,, I sometimes serve w/ a plate of sliced avacado, diced tomato, shredded cheese and warm tortillas to wrap the meat in and YUMMY! Easy & quick meal after getting home from work!

Back