What's new
Cooking Forum

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Pork Roast with Apple-Dijon Gravy

K

Keltin

Pork Loin Roast with Apple-Dijon Gravy

Ingredients:

Roast
3 lb boneless pork loin roast
1 1/2 cup chicken broth
1 cup apple juice
1/2 cup Dijon mustard

For Gravy
6 tablespoons cornstarch
6 tablespoons cold water

Coals: 20 = 8 on bottom, 12 on top
Dutch Oven: 10”
Cook Time = 1.5 hours

Preparation:

Place roast in the DO. Combine the broth, apple juice and mustard and pour over roast. Cover and use 12 coals on top of the DO and 8 coals under it. Cook for 1.5 hours or until a meat thermometer reads 160 degrees. You’ll need to add a fresh batch of coals after about 1 hour. At that time, you can also open the lid and check the meat’s internal temp.

Once the roast is done, remove it from the DO and cover in foil to keep warm. To make the gravy, strain the cooking juices and then skim the fat. Once defatted, pour the juices into a saucepan. Combine cornstarch and water and whisk together until smooth. Slowly stir the cornstarch slurry into the saucepan juices. Bring to a boil and stir for 2 minutes or until thickened.

Once the gravy is ready, carve the roast into 1/4 inch slices and plate. Spoon gravy over the slices. Mashed potatoes or rice are good side with this gravy as well.

Ummmmmmm. Sounds really good.

Do you know the rule of three for Dutch ovens?

Take the size # of the oven. Subtract 3 from that number for the bottom coals. Add three for the top. Doing so maintains the 350F temperature which is standard for Dutch oven cookery.

So, for this dish, I would go with 7 and 13, rather than the 8 and 12 specified.

I’ve heard of the three rule, but an old timer told me the “Diameter 222” rule.

Take the diameter and multiply it by two. That’s the total number of coals for 350 degrees.

Half for the bottom and half for the top – but subtract 2 from the bottom, and add 2 to the top.

I’m using a 10”, so 2 x 10 = 20 for 350 degrees. That’s 10 for the top and 10 for bottom. Subtract 2 from the bottom for 8 and add those to the top for 12. Works pretty good.

Also, two coals are worth about 25 degrees. So every 2 coals you add, you increase the temp by 25 degrees, and for every 2 you take away, you lower it by 25 degrees.

Yep, a crockpot works too! Granted, the cooking time is longer, but you knew that! :)

Yeah, but where I camp a crockpot would require a very long extension cord. ;)

Back