What's new
Cooking Forum

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Gingerbread muffins?

T

tcinsa

Does anyone have a recipe for gingerbread muffins? I'm not even sure they are called this but I've had them at Jason's Deli and also Souper Salad. They are really small little muffins that are very very moist. I've tried making a few gingerbread recipes, but with zero success. (I mean the results were inedible - don't know what happened.)

I don't know if these are like Jason's...never had them but this recipe is one of my favorites. I take my muffins out a couple of min. early so they are moister. I have never made mini muffins with this recipe but I'm sure they would be fine just adjust baking time....I'd say check them in 10 min and go from there.

Brigg's House gingerbread muffins

Makes 12 muffins-
This recipe, from Jeanne Kammerer of Fair Oaks, was in The Bee in 1989.

Ingredients

1/2 cup sugar

2 1/2 cups all-purpose flour

1 1/2 teaspoons baking soda

1 teaspoon cinnamon

1 teaspoon ginger

1/2 teaspoon salt

1/4 teaspoon nutmeg

1 cup molasses

1 egg

1 cup buttermilk

1/2 cup (1 stick) butter, melted

Instructions

Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Butter muffin tins. Combine sugar, flour, baking soda, cinnamon, ginger, salt and nutmeg.

In another bowl, mix molasses, egg, buttermilk and melted butter. Add to dry ingredients. Stir until just blended. Spoon into muffin tins.

Bake for 20 to 25 minutes. Muffins are done when pick comes out clean.

Thank so much Karen! I've copied this and I'm pretty sure I have all the necessaries so I'll be trying this tonight. I'll let you know how I managed.

Cool..let me know. I think I am going to go shopping tomorrow and get what I need to make them myself...after digging up the recipe I got a craving for them.:D

Gingerbread Muffins

3 eggs
1 cup molasses
1 cup brown sugar
3 1/2 cups flour
1 tablespoon baking soda
1 tablespoon ground cloves
1 tablespoon ground ginger
1/2 lb butter, melted
1 cup hot water

Combine all ingredients in a large bowl and refrigerate until ready to use.
Bake in paper lined muffin tins at 350 degrees for 20 to 25 minutes.
Batter will keep for 2 weeks in refrigerator

I ate at Jason's deli yesterday and enjoy the gingerbread muffins, and came upon theis site when I scanned. I look forward to trying the above recipes. Thanks.

You might want to skip the one I posted.
I had the chance to make it tonight myself and I thought they were dry.
I made a vanilla glaze and covered them in it which helped some.

JG a little hint that may help you have a moist gingerbread muffin is add about 1/4 to 1/2 c. applesauce to your batter, and see if that helps! I love raisins and so I would soak some in warm water and add them too:) Then you could call them gingerbread apple/raisin muffins;)

jglass - don't give up on that recipe - add 1/2 c. sour cream and see if that works. Also - you could have overbaked them (even a few minutes would dry it out), overmixing will make them tough, too much flour will also do it - measure accurately.

or you could try this:

* 1/2 cup butter, softened
* 1/2 cup sugar
* 2 eggs
* 1/2 cup sour cream
* 1/2 cup molasses
* 2 cups plus 1 tablespoon all-purpose flour, divided
* 1 teaspoon baking soda
* 1 teaspoon ground ginger
* 1/4 teaspoon ground allspice
* 1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
* 1/2 cup golden raisins

In a large mixing bowl, cream butter and sugar. Add eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition. Beat in sour cream and molasses. Combine 2 cups flour, baking soda, ginger, allspice and cinnamon; add to creamed mixture just until moistened. Toss the raisins with the remaining flour; stir into batter.
Fill paper-lined muffin cups three-fourths full. Bake at 375° for 18-20 minutes or until a toothpick comes out clean. Cool for 5 minutes before removing from pans to wire racks. Yield: About 1 dozen.

hope this helps.

Back