What's new
Cooking Forum

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

New here

H

hektor

Just wanted to say hi. I stumbled onto this forum and it looks great! About me: I'm 26 and have been cooking for about 20 years. Was also a chef in the Air Force. I'd like to say thanks to whoever put the time and effort into this site.

Chris

Hi Chris! So glad you found us. I'm new here, too, but it's a very friendly place. I'd love to hear some stories about feeding the Air Force.
Terry

Hey, Hector,

Welcome to the forum.

Sure hope you'll do more than just say "hi." We want as many active members as possible.

What are some of the things you cook?

Hello Hektor, welcome to SpicePlace. It's a very friendly place with lots of great info. Glad you found us, so jump right in! :)

Thanks for the warm welcome. Coming from the Air Force hopefully I'll be able to contribute to the forum as well.

As far as the military is concerned, the bulk of it is banquets. However, being stationed in Wyoming I had the priveledge of working in the missle field. Three days in my own industrial kitchen cooking for 25 people and six days off. Though I made most of my leaps and bounds in culinary skill there (as I was able to bring my own stuff out there to prepare), my heart is still in banquets and catering.

Baking for me has been difficult, so any help anyone can give me would be greatly appreciated. Granted, I picked up a part time job in an artisian bread bakery. It's my pastry skills that are lacking.

Things I enjoy preparing? Most breakfasts and dinners. There's few things I enjoy more than putting out a great meal for friends and family. Things like beef wellington, racks of lamb, fresh veggies, and appitizers to die for.

Again, thanks for the warm welcome.

Chris

Cook Chatty Cathy

Hi Chris,
Welcome, and 26 and a great Chef already! Very Impressive!!! USAF probably still mourning your departure from their ranks!
Okay first of all. I am going to ask for your favorite Rack of Lamb recipe if you do not mind sharing. I have only prepared Lamb Chops and am totally wondering how to marinade a rack and what are some excellent spices for a Rack of Lamb? I have many spices I enjoy and one that I really love is a Cavender's Greek Seasoning, I have used it on the chops, maybe you can steer me in a new direction?
Thank You, Cathy

cook Chatty Cathy

P.S. Re: Pastry are you refering to pie crust as well.. the real secret to a flaky crust is keep everything Very COLD, wouldn't hurt to even chill the mixing utensils, and keep it SHORT and sweet ie: handle the dough as little as possible just be FAST! I find this works the best for pie shells and also homemade biscuits! I have a reputation as the pie shell and biscuit expert among my family and friends, sadly they don't like to cook these items themselves SO I Continue to HOLD the Chamionship title by forfeiture! LOL
Cathy

Just A Suggestion

Been some nice topics brought up here that should be on their own threads.

F'rinstance, Cathy might want a pie-crust-making thread over with the baking stuff. And if Chris follows up with his rack of lamb recipes I would like to see them in the appropriate forum.

Otherwise we just stard getting this one all confused. And then, when somebody goes looking for, say, a great pie-crust recipe, they can't find it.

And, btw, I second the nomination for Chris's rack of lamb recipes and techniques.

Back