What's new
Cooking Forum

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Looking for Quick Snacks

I am looking for ideas for quick easy to prepare snacks for the 15 min. breaks at work. I never use the vending machine snacks, and like to bring my own from home. But I need some fresh ideas!

Some of mine include: Cherry tomatoes
Cheese wedges w/ crackers
Fruit

Feel free to share your favorites with me .
Thank you, Cathy

Is there a fridge and microwave in your break room?

They pretty much determine what is and is not feasible.

Oriental Ramen Noodle Salad

Hi Chatty,
I grabbed my "family" cookbook to find a special recipe or 2 for you.
(My grandma passed away in 1999 and I got my love of cooking/baking from her and my mom and aunts. Last year for Christmas, my aunt Karen made us all cookbooks from recipes submitted from all my Gram's 12 children and some of us grandkids. The book is very special to me...but anyway...)
This takes a little prep but seems easy enough and would be a quick, filling snack at work.

Dressing:
2/3 C oil
1/2 C sugar
1/4 C vinegar

Salad:
1 head cabbage (book says Napa but I don't know what that is...:eek:)
2 bunches green onions, chopped
1 C sliced almonds
1 C sunflower seeds
2 pkgs. chicken Ramen noodles (broken up, with seasoning)

Mix dressing ingredients and let sit overnight, do NOT refrigerate. The next day.....crush Ramen noodles in bag. Place on baking sheet with almonds. Sprinkle seasoning mix over it and bake for 5-10 mins. at 350. Mix salad ingredients. Add dressing and toss. Let stand a few hours (while you're waiting for break-time...LOL).

Hope you like it. I haven't tried it. If I find any more I'll post again.
roobee71 (chattyroo):D

Thanks ChattyRoo!!
This recipe sounds wonderful! I have 1 time before in my life had a similar salad that was delicious, and made with the ramen noodles, etc. now I have an opportunity to make it myself. And I like that it's a dish that's packed with nutrients, a real Power Snack!;)
Thank you, CCCathy
P.S. I like the "ChattyRoo"
also..Napa must mean some type Cabbage [for instance Napa Cabbage, grown in Napa Valley, CA]??? Just an educated guess on my part!

Last edited:
Napa is also known as Chinese Cabbage. It's the light-green, elongated, savoyed (crinkled) stuff next to the regular cabbage.

Here's a great snack that is said to keep in the fridge two days longer than forever. I dunno. It doesn't last long enough aound here to tell:

Stuffed Dates

Packaged dates
Gorgonzola Cheese

Deseed the dates by slitting them the long way on one side. Fill the cavity with gorgonzola cheese. Enjoy!

Filled won ton cups are great because the cups keep a long time, and the filling are varied only by your imagination.

For starters, using a 2 1/2" round cookie, convert won ton wrappers from squares to circles. Insert a wrapper into each cavity of a mini-muffin tin. A shot glass will help you get them started evenly.

Bake at 375 degress 4-5 minutes, until the cups just start to brown. Cool on a wire rack.

Store at room temperature in a zipper bag until needed.

Fill with fruit & veggie combinations of your choosing. For instance:

1. Gorgonzola and roast pears w/ginger.
2. Divided cherry tomatoes and tappanade.
3. Peanut butter (with or without jelly).
4. Candied sweet potatoes & mini-marshmallows.
5. Apple pie filling & whipped cream.
6. Ham, tuna, or chicken salad.
7. Etc., etc. etc.

A package of won ton wraps contains 40 of the things. So, even with two mini-muffin tins, you'll have to do this in batches to use up a package. Three filled cups makes a nice snack (or, for that matter, a first course for dinner).

We've also found that panna cotta keeps at least a week in the fridge, so long as you keep it covered with cling film. If you don't want to bother washing up, you can use cheap plastic cups as the molds, and eat the panna cotta right out of those. By ringing the changes on sweet and savory flavors, you could have panna cotta every week and never repeat yourself.

Give some thought to recylcling left-overs in novel ways. That way you use them up, have enjoyable snacks, but don't get that "oh, this again" feeling.

For instance, let's say you have a fish dinner of some kind. Mix fish flakes with mashed potatoes, an egg, and spices of your choice. Form into balls, roll in Panko crumbs, and deep fry. Reheat gently in the nuke and your're good to go. Great alone or with a sauce that meets your tastes.

Pudding cups are another way to creatively recycle. For instance, take that left over turkey and dice it small, along with cooked carrots, peas, onions, corn, etc. Make a thick bechamel and mix in with the meat/veggies. Fill the pudding cups with the mixture and top with either a pastry crust or piped mashed potatoes. Bake until crust is browned.

What you have is a mini-turkey pot pie (technically cottage pie if you use the spuds) that freezes readily. Pack one with your lunch and it will be mostly defrosted by break time. Put it in the nuke and you're good to go.

The trick to turning left-overs into snacks (or lunches for that matter) to learn the art of the miniature. Ask yourself, how can I miniturize this meal in a way that is 1. different, 2. tasty, 3. relatively simple, and 4. freezable so as to justify the extra work involved.

Don't discount that last. You are not going to make one mini-pot pie. But you could make a half dozen or more at one time, and keep them in the freezer until wanted.

Wow KYH!
I love these ides :D and the fried balls made with left-over fish, they sound like they would be "to-die for"!!!
Thanks a million! Cathy

Back