What's new
Cooking Forum

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Rice Pudding

This is my favorite Rice Pudding recipe and also a great way to use up left-over rice......

1 cup cooked cold white rice
2 1/2 cups milk
3 eggs well beaten
3/4 cup of white sugar
2 tsp. of vanilla extract
OPTIONAL: 1/2 cup raisins
a sprinkling of gr. nutmeg and cinnamon powder

Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
Spray the bottom of a 10x11 2 quart glass baking dish with pam. Place rice into the baking dish and break rice apart with a fork, then beat the milk, eggs, sugar and vanilla together pour over rice & stir. If using raisins add now and stir in. Sprinkle top very lightly with a pinch of nutmeg & cinnamon. Place a 3 quart glass baking dish into oven fill the bottom 1/4 in. with boiling water, carefully place the 2 quart dish into the 3 quart dish.
Bake until you can insert a knife into the center and it comes out clean [about 45 - 50 min's approximate cooking time]
If you use raisins you can cut down on the amount of sugar to 1/2 cup.
This has a beautiful custard top and the rice and raisins are settled on the bottom. That is how we eat it.

Hey Kev,

This is my recipe, as far as I can tell these are approx. measurements as I never measure the milk and eggs exactly! It just always comes out perfect. Last night for instance I believe I used more like 4 cups milk and 4 eggs and cooked it for 1 hr. 20 min.'s to get it done. And it turned out perfect. But I do not stir it at all during baking, I really love the custard that forms on top and it is delicious, so if I have plenty of milk and eggs in the fridge I use more to get more custard! Give it a try next time you have left-over rice on hand! And any questions just holler!

Cheers, Cathy

Thanks Cathy! I have to make this! I love rice pudding and I miss my Mom's and Art's. I have some golden raisins on hand right now- I may make up a batch! Thank you!

Last edited:
Good on ya'! I believe the golden raisins will not be as good as the dark raisins so adjust sugar accordingly, I taste my "eggnog" to make sure it is sweet, but not too sweet as the raisins do add a fair amount of sweetness. And I find the golden raisins to be very mildly sweet. In any instance go for it! I hope it turns out good for you!

Back