What's new
Cooking Forum

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Hello from Southeast Texas

T

texas lady

Hello All from Southeast Texas!

I really enjoy cooking, among other things, and I am glad to be part of this site. It will be fun hearing new ideas as well as participating in discussions.
Have a nice day:).

Welcome to the boards, Texas Lady.

Don't be shy about joining a discussion, or starting a new one.

Thanks

Thanks for the welcome. I won't be shy and will look forward to the discussions.

Hello Texas Lady,

Welcome aboard, I hope you will enjoy this forum as much as I have! I'm learning so much in the process as well. What are some of your favorite cooking styles, foods, and spices?

Hope you're not expeiencing too much of this cold weather in S. Texas. Today is not too bad here in N. Georgia, but tomorrow may be a different story, so I am cooking meals that really take the chill off. Tonight will be blackbeans & sausage with yellow rice. I use alot of onion, bellpepper, garlic, and celery in preparing my beans and use only Mahatma yellow rice it is the best in my opinion! This is one of the dishes our Cuban neighbors introduced us to in Miami, Florida growing up, and to this day still a favorite!

We look forward to having you join us! CCCathy

Hello Chatty Cathy,

I like your name. The style of cooking we like best is mexican. I guess you could say tex-mex. We also like many other types of foods also.

Tonight I am thinking about fixing a recipe that I found this morning. It is a Buffalo Chicken soup. It looks like something that my husband would love. I will have to go buy a deli roasted chicken this afternoon to use in the recipe. It was in the Better Homes and Garden newsletter that I recieved this morning. I like Comet rice. I have not tried the Mahatma. I will have to do that. We live down here where there are rice fields all over.

It started getting cold here yesterday. It is also been raining a lot.
Nice to talk to you.

Hi Again Texas Lady,

I also like your name as well, it sounds so lady like ;) And ladies "true ladies" are beautiful!!!

Your soup sounds delicious, you must post the recipe!
I love Mexican food and especially tamales, I was just reading about a new cookbook called "Tamales 101: A Beginner's Guide to Making Traditional Tamales" By: Alice Guadalupe Tapp. Guess that will wind up on my must have book list!

I go into a serious withdrawl mode if I do not have at least 2 meals a week that are Mexican cuisine! It's just like I develop a certain moodiness I just can't seem to shake, one bite of a burrito and I'm back to my normal self again:p:p;) Fortunate for me I live in an area that has a healthy Mexican population and we can aquire much of the desired foods easily! Between my girlfriends here at work and I we go thru vast quantities of hot sauce per week.

This Christmas I had the Puerto Rican equivalent of a tamale: it is called a Pastelle and instead of being wrapped in a corn husk the pastelle is wrapped in a banana leaf than boiled. The masa is made from finely grated Yucca and Plantain Green Bananas. They have a very unique flavor and seem an awful lot of trouble to make :eek:, but I have observed that many of the authentic Puerto Rican dishes involve quite a bit of labor intensive prep work! I do love being in the kitchen, but only to a point :eek: LOL

Now have you ever eaten much Middle Eastern Cusine? I am here to tell you I for one love it! If you ever get a chance visit a restaurant that specializes in it and try an appetizer plate of Baba-Ganouji (pronounced bubba ganu), Hummus, fried flaffel, and fresh pita bread with tabouli salad. You will be in for a taste bud explosion!

Ther are so many wonderful foods the world over, and we are so fortunate to be able to enjoy that all!

I have never heard of comet rice. It must be a rice local to your area? I enjoy so many rice varieties, basamati being my all time favorite in the line of white rice. The yellow rice I mentioned earlier is simply a white rice flavored with saffron giving it a delicious flavor and yellow color. It goes well with seafood dishes, especially shrimp. Do you live near an area where you can get fresh Gulf Shrimp? There is no shrimp that tastes better in my opinion!

Cheers, CCCathy

Chatty Cathy,

I just wanted to let you know that the Buffalo chicken soup came out great. We had that and cornbread. The recipe is on the Better Homes and Garden website.

I bought some Mahatma yellow rice yesterday. I am going to try it soon.

I have never had Middle Eastern cuisine. I will have to try it one of these days. I do love Chinese food. We are going to a local Chinese restaurant tonight. My favorite thing is the mayonnaise shrimp. If anyone knows of a recipe for them please let me know.

We live very close to the gulf and have a place about a mile and a half away that sells fresh shrimp and fish. We are 40 miles east of Houston.

Have a great day! texas lady

Last edited:
Hi Texas Lady,

I looked up your soup recipe and going to give it a try, next time we have left over baked chicken! The recipe looks awesome and the cheeses sound like they'd make it great!

Can you go into a little detail about these Mayonnaise Shrimp you get at the Chinese restaurant, I looked up recipes but that just made me more uncertain. Also sometimes cooks at restaurants will share their recipe with you if you ask real nice;). I am not shy and have always had wonderful servers who will actually "go check" with the cook and come right back and tell me the ingredients.

How wonderful you live where you can get fresh seafood, I used to live in South Alabama and got spoiled while living there on the abundance of shrimp and seafood from the Gulf. I also fell in love with crawfish they were popular there as well, we were located close to Louisiana and crawfish are a favorite in that region!

So you sew aprons? How neat. My sister made me one that was a red-hot chili pepper fabric and it was the type you put on around the neck and also tie in the back around your waist. Unfortunately I never remember to wear it.

Best Regards, CCCathy

hello out there this may this may sound like bull this is my first computer and im having a hard time with this typing im a 45 year old const. worker that likes to cook so cut me a break i think i need a new nickname how do i do that HELP

Jeff - since you have only made one post so far - just re-register using a different name. Believe me - it's much easier!

(aren't computers fun?? - it's very easy to save recipes to your computer - easier than handwriting them all)

Welcome Texas Lady. I was actually raised in Beaumont so I'm quite familiar with southeast Texas.

Welcome too Jeff. Like Mama said just re-register under whatever name you want to be.

Back