What's new
Cooking Forum

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Hamburger Seasoning Mix

L

lizgirl

Hamburger Seasoning Mix

1 tab. sweet basil-dried
1 tab. dried tarragon
1 teasp. dried marjoram
1/2 tsp. dried thyme
1/2 tsp dried rosemary

Crush & mix well together. Store away. Use about 1 tablespoon to 1 1/2 pounds of ground beef to make Hamburger patties.

Note: I like to grind my seasoning.

Sounds interesting, Lizgirl.

If you also grind your own meat, a good trick is to cut the meat into small pieces, then spread the seasoning over those. Then grind the meat. This assures even distribution of the herbs & spices throughout the ground meat.

An old sausage maker taught me that trick, and it can really make a difference. Not only do you get even distribution, but you avoid overworking the meat, which can happen when you mix flavorings into already ground meat.

kY, I was thinking of getting an old meat grinder and start grinding my own meat. Is there anything more to it other than just putting the meat in and grinding it? I mean, do you have to add fat to some cuts, etc.?

Hi Jafo,

I know you addressed your question to KYH, I hope you don't mind me sharing my experience of using my meat grinder. I had a meat grinder attachment for my old Oster Kitchen Center. I used it the most for grinding venison for sausage, and in answer to your quetion I had to see the butcher and buy scarps of pork fat to add to the lean venison. As KYH stated I would sprinkle my seasonings onto my meat before grinding, so the seasonings were evenly distributed evenly throughout.

I also used it an awful lot after the holidays for grinding leftover Ham and Turkey to use for Ham or Turkey salad spreads for sandwiches and crackers. I truly loved my grinder.

I occassionally ground fresh beef for such uses as lean ground beef for various dishes (chili, chopped beef steak patties, etc.). I really always felt the meat to be really much more lean that store bought! So I assume you would have to add fat for some cuts of meat that you would want to grind, I added mine at cooking time! I will let KYH answer your questions in regard to those matters as I am only speaking on the way I used mine and I am positive KYH can give you much more detailed explainations on grinding and the technicalities involved.

I did have access to lots of fresh beef as we used to raise our own cows and have them butchered, but I honestly had almost all my ground beef pre-packed from the butcher shop. With the price of meat these days, you may save a few dollars and have a better tasting quality meat if you could for instance buy some inexspensive large cuts and grind them yourself!

Hope this helps a little, CCCathy

Jafo,

I had gotten my electric grinder primarily for making sausages. But found all sorts of uses for it. And it's much more efficient, I've found, than hand machines---which are what I grew up using. But either one does the job.

Anyway, you will, on rare occasion, have to add fat to the meat you are grinding. It really depends on what your main meat is, and the end purpose. As Cathy notes, venison (all game, in fact) benefits from the addition of some beef or pork fat. Most beef really doesn't (unless you're going with top cuts, such as sirloin for hamburgers).

I do not, btw, stock up on ground meat. For me it makes more sense to keep the big cuts in the freezer, and grind them as needed. But we don't do a lot of meatloafs and burgers, per se. So stocking ground meat doesn't make a lot of sense for us, because it wouldn't get used up fast enough.

Now then, as to physical grinding, there are several things to consider.

1. It's better to have the meats cold than not. I have no idea why this is so, but, pragmatically, it's true. Cold meats just grind better.

2. Your initial instinct will be to use the small plate. Don't do it! The small plate makes meat almost paste like; which is alright for forcemeat, but not for burgers, sausage, and the like. Use the medium plate. And don't double grind. In some cases, the large plate actually makes the most sense---try it for chili, for instance. But by and large it's a specialty tool, rarely used.

3. Trim away the connective tissue. Again, you'll initially think this isn't necessary because it all get ground up. But that's not true. Much of it will not grind, and merely clogs the machine. And the connective tissue can add off flavors to the meat.

4. Cut the meat into chuncks just big enough to fit in the hopper. Season the chunks as evenly as possible. Then grind the meat.

My I add my two cents?

I've been grinding my own meat forever. From the old hand-crank to the electric to the food processor. For some meats I add some fat - for others I don't and for others I remove the fat.

Regarding connective tissue - would you really want to eat it?? It's not going to grind anyway.

Always remember the number one rule - use the freshest meats - not something that is old, sticky and on it's last leg. Too bad supermarkets didn't adhere to that rule - I've seen it all - that is why our family has always ground our own meats.

MM

Mama,

How do you control the grind in the food processor?

The few times I've tried it I wound up more with a mince than a grind. Terrific for forcemeat balls, for instance, but not for, say, hamburgers.

And I find the FP heats up the meat too much.

So I must be doing something wrong; just can't figure out what. So stick with the electric grinder.

Thanks, I think I will look into an electric grinder. We eat meatloaf quite a bit and I am tired of the store bought ground beef. First of all, you can never get the amount you want. They always either package 3-4 pounds of it, or little packages just under a pound. You can never seem to get just a pound of ground beef.

Second, other than a extremely high priced butcher in are area, there is absolutely no ground lamb to be found within a 40 mile radius.

Thanks for everyones feedback.

The only other question I would have is, could you substitute an oil instead of an animal fat when you think the meat needs it?

Oil might work for moistness, Jafo. But I would think there'd be a textural and mouthfeel issue, oil compared to fat.

Once you get your grinder you're going to find the real value goes way beyond beef. How about, for instance, ground chicken or turkey that's all meat instead of skin, fat, and other stuff? Or ground pork in which you control the content and texture? Or, as you note, ground lamb---which either isn't available, most times, or is incredibly expensive.

And if you should decide to make your own sausages, well, Kattie bar the door.

Mama,

How do you control the grind in the food processor?

The few times I've tried it I wound up more with a mince than a grind. Terrific for forcemeat balls, for instance, but not for, say, hamburgers.

And I find the FP heats up the meat too much.

So I must be doing something wrong; just can't figure out what. So stick with the electric grinder.

I use a food processor grinder and haven't had any of the problems you are talking about. What I typically do is first cut the meat into about 1" cubes, then grind it with the largest plate first, add season (if making hamburgers or sausages) and then grind twice through the smaller plate....seems to work out pretty good for me.

George, I'm a little confused. What do you mean by "plates" with a food processor?

Plates are usually associated with meat grinders. Whether manual or powered they work the same. A screw forces the meat past a rotating blade, and into an extrusion plate. Most grinders come with three such plates: course, medium, and fine.

Food processors, at those I'm familiar with, merely have a rotating blade. Unless you just pulse it, using small amounts of meat at a time, there's a danger of over-grinding (basically, turning the meat into mush) and overheating the meat.

George, I'm a little confused. What do you mean by "plates" with a food processor?

Plates are usually associated with meat grinders. Whether manual or powered they work the same. A screw forces the meat past a rotating blade, and into an extrusion plate. Most grinders come with three such plates: course, medium, and fine.

Food processors, at those I'm familiar with, merely have a rotating blade. Unless you just pulse it, using small amounts of meat at a time, there's a danger of over-grinding (basically, turning the meat into mush) and overheating the meat.

I'm sorry....I might have just assumed you were talking about using a meat grinder attachment for a food processor......that's what I was talking about at least

:)

Ahhh, now I understand.

You're talking about a grinder that goes on something like the Oster Kitchen Center. I used to have one of those.

So, basically, we're talking about the same thing, you with an attachment and me with a descrete grinder.

When most folks say they use the food processor to grind things they mean just that; the actual food processor. And that's the one that overgrinds and overheats.

Something you might want to try: Add the seasonings to the cubes of meat. Then grind. This helps distribute them more evenly through the mix. I was taught that by an old-time sausage maker, and it works like a charm.

Yeah....I should have realized what you were talking about! lol.

Yeah, I may have to give your trick a try. I have found that you get a much better distribution already by adding it to the meat that has been ground and then running it through a couple more times, but your method probably does work better. I use a kitchen aid stand mixer with the meat grinder attachment....works amazingly well and I have most certainly gotten my money's worth out of it.

Back