What's new
Cooking Forum

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Between SuperBowl & SuperTuesday

K

KYHeirloomer

you may not have noticed. But today we laissez les bon temps roulez!

I'm doing a seafood gumbo, a crayfish ettoufe, and, of course, rice.

How about you others. Anyone else ready to let the good times roll?

HELLO AGAIN,

I MISSED THIS POST ON THE 5TH AND CAME ACROSS IT TODAY. I LOVE CRAWFISH ETTOUFE!!! ONE QUICK QUESTION CAN YOU SHARE YOUR RECIPE? AND SINCE MY PREVIOUS HOME PRIOR TO MOVING HERE WAS DOWN NEAR MOBILE, ALABAMA WE ATE LOTS OF GUMBO YUM-YUM (OF-COURSE I GREW MY OWN OKRA)!

ONE MORE QUICK QUESTION MY FRENCH IS VERY LIMITED CAN YOU INTERPRET: laissez les bon temps roulez! AND SADLY MY ANCESTORS NEVER TAUGHT ME THEIR MOTHER TONGUE, BUT THEN THEY WERE FRENCH CANADIANS SO I GUESS THAT DON'T COUNT.LOL

THANKS, CATHY

Last edited:
As French Canadians they should very much count; it was him that became Cajun, cher. Huguenots from Acadia, dontcha know.

Anyway, Laizzez les bon temp roulez is the unofficial slogan of Mardi Gras. It simply means, let the good times roll.

I have several etouffe recipes. This simple one comes from the Global Wildlife Center, in Baton Rouge:

1 lb crawfish tails (preferably with their fat)
1 stick butter
1 small onion, chopped
2 green onions, chopped
Creole seasoning to taste

Saute the onions in butter until wilted. Stir in crawfish. Do not cook crawfish more than 10-15 minutes.

Thank you that is quite different from the ettoufe I have had (mine came in a delightful white sauce seasoned with lots of garlic and wine, you use french bread to "sop" up the sauce). This recipe sounds more like Sauteed Crawfish, I will give this a try when I can get ahold of some fresh Crawfish, which here probably means going and getting my own. Fortunate for me we do live near a Creek loaded with them!:p

P.S. One of my ancestors has a statute in his honor right in the middle of Government Street in downtown Mobile, Alabama near the Bankhead Tunnel= the famous Admiral Semmes, my claim to fame! The French had a very strong influence in Mobile, just as much as New Orleans, of-course the two cities are only 3 hours apart (todays driving time). Personally I do not care for Mardi Gras, I guess the other 1/2 of my "genes" (Scotch-Irish) just snub our noses at such non-sence as parades and such ;). Just give me a good bag-piper & a tad o' Good Irish Whiskey and I'll do a jig and be a happy Las :D My French ancestors would roll over in their graves I am sure!

Thanks for sharing, Cathy

"Just give me a good bag-piper "

Do you mean a real piper? Or someone blowing on those silly Northumberland small pipes? :D

May I add:

How to Make Crayfish or Shrimp Etoufee

A Louisiana classic, this may make some a little squeamish when they see the crayfish (sometimes called a crawfish). But who cares. All the more for you. If it's really a problem, though, just make the Ãtoufee with shrimp, instead. Serves 4.

Ingredients:
3 garlic cloves (two crushed, one minced)
2 onions (one quartered, one minced)
hot cooked rice
1 bay leaves
2 tbsp. butter - cut into small pieces
1 tsp. fresh thyme
1 tbsp. fresh lemon juices
4 minced scallions
3 tbsp. peanut oil (or other oil)
3 lbs. crayfish or large shrimp in their shells
10 coriander seeds
3 tbsp. all-purpose flour
ground red pepper to taste
1 tsp. ground black pepper
salt and pepper to taste
1 seeded and finely minced jalapenos
1 small dried chile peppers
1 minced yellow bell peppers

Steps:
1. Combine 4 c. water, bay leaf, quartered onion, 2 crushed cloves garlic, thyme, black pepper, coriander seeds and chili pepper in a saucepan. Bring to a boil.

2. Add crayfish (or shrimp) and return to a boil.

3. Reduce heat to medium, cover and cook 1 minute.

4. Remove from heat and let stand 10 minutes.

5. Remove the crayfish (or shrimp) with a slotted spoon.

6. Strain the liquid into a clean saucepan. Boil until reduced to 2 cups.

7. While liquid boils, peel the shellfish.

8. Heat peanut oil in a medium saucepan over medium heat. Stir in flour.

9. Cook, stirring, until flour turns brown (about 10 minutes).

10. Add bell pepper, minced onion, jalapeno and 1 clove minced garlic and cook 1 minute.

11. Whisk in the reduced shellfish stock, gradually, and cook, stirring, over medium-low heat until mixture thickens.

12. Add peeled shellfish, scallions, butter, lemon juice, ground red pepper, salt and black pepper. Heat through, taste and adjust seasonings. Serve with hot cooked rice.

CRAWFISH ETOUFEE

2 lb. crawfish tails
1 c. onions, finely chopped
2 cloves garlic
1 c. celery
2 c. whole tomatoes, chopped
2 tbsp. Worcestershire sauce
Cooking oil, salt, and pepper
Cooked rice

Wilt onions in oil. Add everything else except crawfish.

Cook over low heat 1 to 1 1/2 hours. Add crawfish and simmer for about 20 minutes longer. Serve over cooked rice.

Shrimp Etoufee

Servings: 4 servings

Ingredients:
Seasoning Mix:
2 tsp. salt
2 tsp. cayenne pepper
1 tsp. white pepper
1 tsp. black pepper
1 tsp. dried basil leaves
1/2 tsp. dried thyme leaves

Other ingredients:
1/4 cup onions, chopped
1/4 cup celery, chopped
1/4 cup green peppers, chopped
7 tbsp. vegetable oil
3/4 cup all-purpose flour
3 cups seafood stock (or chicken broth)
1/2 lb. butter
2 lb. shrimp crawfish
1 cup green onion, finely chopped
4 cups rice, cooked

Directions:
Thoroughly combine the seasoning mix ingredients in a small bowl and set aside.

In a separate bowl combine the onions, celery, and bell peppers.

In a large skillet (preferably cast iron), heat the oil over high heat until it begins to smoke, about 4 minutes. With a long handled whisk, gradually mix in the flour, stirring until smooth (this mixture is called "roux"). Lower heat, continue cooking, whisking constantly, until roux is dark brown (this will take a while, be patient, and don't stop stirring (this is the secret to a good etouffee, the darker the "roux", the better. Don't let it burn, though).

Remove from heat and immediately stir in the vegetables and 1 tbsp. of the seasoning mix with a wooden spoon; continue stirring until cooked, about 5 minutes.

In a 2-qt. saucepan bring 2 cups of the stock to a boil over high heat. Gradually add the roux and whisk until thoroughly dissolved. Reduce heat to low and cook until flour taste is gone, about 2 minutes, whisking almost constantly. Remove from heat and set aside.

In a 4-qt. saucepan melt 1 stick of butter over medium heat. Stir in shrimp and the green onions; saute 1 minute, stirring constantly.

Add the remaining stick of butter, the stock mixture and the remaining 1 cup stock; cook until butter melts and is mixed into the sauce, about 4-6 minutes, constantly shaking the pan in a back and forth motion.

Add the remaining seasoning mix, stir well and remove from heat (if sauce starts to separate, add about 2 tbsp. more of butter or water and shake pan until it combines). Serve immediately, over cooked rice.

Crawfish Etoufee Pie

The tasty crustaceans make a delicious pie, pate' or etoufee. You will need four pie crusts for this first recipe. It makes two pies with top crusts.

Crawfish Etoufee Pie (8 Servings):
INGREDIENTS:
2 bunches green onions
1 stick margarine
½ cup flour
2 cloves garlic, minced
1 onion, chopped
1 green bell pepper, chopped
1 cup celery, chopped
3 tablespoons tomato sauce
2 teaspoons salt
1 teaspoon paprika
¼ teaspoon white pepper
1/4 teaspoon onion powder
¼ teaspoon garlic powder
¼ teaspoon dry mustard
1 teaspoon cayenne
¼ teaspoon black pepper
3 cups water
1 bunch parsley, chopped
3 pounds crawfish tails with fat

DIRECTIONS:

Chop green onions, separating tops and bottoms. In a saucepan, melt margarine. Add flour and brown lightly, stirring constantly. Add garlic, green onion bottoms, onion, green pepper, celery and tomato sauce. Cover and simmer about one hour, stirring frequently to keep from sticking. Add seasonings and water. Simmer for additional two to three hours.

If mixture thickens too much, add more water. Mixture should be creamy and as thick as a paste when tails and fat are added. Add tails and fat. Cook 15 minutes or until tails are tender. Add onion tops and parsley.

Pour filling into two pie shells. Cover with another layer of dough. Cut slits in top. Bake at 350 degrees for 35 minutes or until golden brown. When removed from oven., allow pies to cool for at least 20 minutes. Cooling time is important for the filling to set before serving. It is best to make the etoufee the day ahead and fill the pies the day you plan to serve them. The filling freezes well. It may also be served over fluffy white, steamy rice.

(Great recipes Mama, I have got to make the pie!)

And KYH I mean "REAL BAGPIPES" the type "REAL MEN in REAL KILTS" use! There is simply nothing that compares! I for some reason favor me bloody ole Irish roots! A real product o' me Father I suppose, he had 5 little bloakes and all 5 of us look like we are "chips off the ole block", his spittin' image ya might say!

I Love America! What a wonderful Blend of Cultures, Heritages, and especially Foods! CCCathy

Last edited:
IC here are some shared Crawfish Etouffee' recipes from an earlier thread!

These still seem different from the ones I had, I could imagine there are a million ways to prepare it!

I think that what you are describing with a nice white sauce sounds much more appealing Cathy. More to my taste any way, with lots of pepper.

Back