What's new
Cooking Forum

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Spaghetti

Jafo232

Ok, so I was watching Lidia the other day make her own pasta and run it through a meat grinder (no blade) to make spaghetti.

So I gave it a shot. It came out ok, but a bit "fuzzy", not sleek like I am used to having it. I kinda think I put too many eggs in the dough or something. Searching around the net, I found no decent spaghetti recipes, and since this is rather new for me, I figure I will see what you guys have?

A recipe for spaghetti for four servings would be great and any technique tips you might have. What are the cooking time differences between fresh and dried pasta?

:)

jafo -

Your homemade spaghetti came out "fuzzy" because you used a meat grinder. Using a meat grinder will not give you the commercial look of smooth strands. It wasn't made for that - but it can be used for it.

Eggs, flour, salt (flour can be all semolina or a combination of semolina and all-purpose) is your basic recipe for pasta.

Cook time - well if I'm working with raw eggs and raw flour when making my pasta I make sure I cook it until it is done - at least 10 minutes. Some say it's done when it floats - I say it's done when it's done.

I'm sorry if I cannot give you "measurements" - I've been making it for so long that I just do it by look, feel and touch. Some will say 1 cup flour for each large egg - but as you start making pasta you will get to know the feel of the dough and make adjustments as needed.

I hope this helps in some way.

Mama

Jafo, commercial pasta is extruded through bronze dies. This polishes the surface as well as forming the shape.

The dies on your meat grinder are iron, and do not polish the strands. Plus the holes (even on the small die) are larger than those used for spaghetti, which contributes to the fuzziness.

I don't imagine that the flavor was effected, though. And, in fact, the fuzziness might be beneficial, in that sauce is more likely to cling to the pasta.

Making pasta is very easy! I can't believe how many people shy away from it. The dough is not as soft as bread dough. But it should feel firm - not hard.

Even though I have a couple different pasta making machines - I still steer towards the knife for cutting.

Thanks for the tips. I think for now, I already have enough on my plate (no pun intended) than to whittle down dough into individual spaghetti without a machine. :) I do have a full time job ya know. :)

I wonder if you can buy the bronze plates for smoother pasta?

Jafo - take a look at some of the pasta machines out there - you'd be surprised! It would most likely be cheaper and less time-consuming than looking for bronze plates!

Besides which they wouldn't fit on any machine you have, as they are made to work with rather large (compared to your meat grinder) extruders.

I'd listen to Mama. If you want to make your own pasta, and figure to do a lot of it, get one of the pasta machines and the appropriate cutters to go with it. Or, if you have a KA stand mixer, I hear good things about their pasta making attachment.

Easy!

Pasta making is fun and not that hard to do if you know how to do it well.

Make the authentic recipie with just flour and eggs..

It's explained step by step on MakeFreshPasta.com and Jamie olivers website..

And dont use the grinder.. just fold it togheter and slice it very thin, or use a proper
pasta maker.. alot of fun!

My Italian Grandma made all her own pasta & ravioli, it was so Good! I never attempted to make my own, Good for u for trying. Cookie :)

Back