What's new
Cooking Forum

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

countrywoman

C

countrywoman

Greetings from Ontario Canada...looking forward to trying new recipies, interested in low sodium , low fat, and recipies for those trying to control weight.
Do you have ideas? Love to hear from you
:);):D

Welcome, Countrywoman.

While low fat etc. isn't something that I pay much attention to I'm sure you'll get lots of input from others on the list.

Don't be shy about posting, yourself, though. Nothing gets a conversation started like starting one. :D

Hi there! You sound very much like me but I have been failing in finding the low calorie kinds of recipes, even when looking for low fat. Seems with cooking with low fat you use substitutes. Not all work and I don't go for it. Plus they use soy in a lot of the substitutes and I can't eat soy. Like it or not I wind up eating my whole fat versions but less of it and less often.
Low sodium isn't too hard. You have to make your own stuff sometimes, and I never salted my food unless it was on my plate. There are a few dishes I think salt has to be included and I don't know how to change it. Cooking with seasonings and giving food some kind of flavor is helpful. I am still looking for the same kind of recipes as you asked but have been having digestive troubles and trying to find out what is killing me. So far what is new, I found I can't eat wheat also. Lately I have been doing a switch and including wheat free recipes in my list as well. Trying to lean toward rice.
One thing I found helpful in eliminating salt in frying hamberger. I used to use Season All to flavor my ground beef and without it the meat tasted so like cardboard. I fry into it 1/2 tsp cumin. It takes that flat taste out and you can't taste the cumin at all! You can use it for any recipe. And while you are at it add any other seasoning you like. Alert! Just recently I noticed all the frozen french fries in the freezer section is seasoned with salt. I can find only one brand that is regular potato fries. And I love fries.

Lizgirl, if you have dietary restrictions the one thing you have to do is stay away from the convenience and pre-prepared foods. All of them are loaded wth things those on restricted diets shouldn't have.

Sodium and sugar being the two biggies.

As you noticed, even frozen fries are loaded with salt. And they put sugar (in the form of high-fructose corn syrup) into virtually everything that comes in cans.

Something else to consider: People with health-related restrictions are most often sensitive to preservatives and other chemicals. And that's what you find in those items too. Indeed, very often we find that reactions to certain foodstuffs actually are reactions to those additives.

All in all, you're much better off making everything from scratch, so that you know exactly what goes into the things you eat.

Back