What's new
Cooking Forum

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Greetings to all!

JungleJim

Just joined the forum today, and looking forward to exchanging info with everyone on one of my favorite hobbies--cooking!

I get most of my recipes off the 'net, then modify them (or not) as seems appropriate to the tastes of my family.

My family consists of my wife, her daughter (5 yrs old), her adult sister (working as our maid), her sister's son (5 yrs old also) and her adult brother (working as our driver and general helper). I'm American and my family is all Filipino.

My wife is also a great cook. She basically follows my methodology, but adds a skill that I do not have: She can recreate (and usually improve upon) any meal that she eats and enjoys in a restaurant.

Getting specific recipe ingredients here in the Philippines ranges from easy to impossible, so creativity is often required. So when I start posting recipes, I'll try to list alternatives to certain ingredients that some may find "hard to get."

Also, I'm not very consistent regarding measurements in my recipes. I use both US units (Tbsp, tsp, dry cups, liquid cups, etc.) as well as "what the rest of the world uses" (kilos, grams, mililiters, etc.). The best way I know to convert amongst all of this is to use the ESB conversion utility, found here: [well, it seems I'm not allowed to post a link yet. :( Guess ya'll will just have to look it up on Google for now.]

It's freeware, covers just about any sort of measurement one can think of, and is super easy to use.

Ok, that's it--this intro is 'way too long already. :)

Looking forward to sharing with everybody.

Cheers,

Jim

Welcome Jj!!!

JIM YOU ARE GOING TO BE A NICE ADDITION TO OUR FORUM FRIENDS! THE PHILLIPINES SOUNDS EXOTIC TO SAY THE LEAST, I GUESS I WOULD LOVE IT AS LONG AS NO VOLCANOES ERUPTED NEAR ME:eek:

DO YOU GET TO MAKE MANY AUTHENTIC PHILLIPINE DISHES? I WOULD LOVE YOU TO SHARE WITH US!!! I LOVE FOOD AND RECIPES FROM ALL OVER THE WORLD. SOUNDS LIKE YOUR WIFE IS AN EXCELLENT COOK!

LOOK FORWARD TO HAVING YOU IN OUR "CIRCLE"! CCCATHY

Welcome Jim. You already (based on the garlic thread) sound like a welcome addition.

I'm in the process of collecting adobo recipes. So, if you can talk your wife out of hers I'd love to see it.

Filipino Recipes

The wife mostly cooks instinctively, so usually there's no set recipe for whatever she makes. But I'll see what I can do about getting some of her creations down on paper so that all can share. :)

Back