What's new
Cooking Forum

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Threat of wheat shortages

I just finished an article about a possibility of a world-wide wheat shortage and rising grocery prices and it is painting a very bleak picture indeed. I do not know if I am just one of the last to know this but if anymore of you are interested in reading about what I just mentioned here is the web address:

New wheat crisis plagues world food supply - Top Stocks

Cathy

P.S. I'm wondering if I should plant some wheat in my garden!:rolleyes:

I don't know if you're the last or not, Cathy. But a number of us were issuing warnings about that even before the ill-conceived energy bill was passed.

Of course the liberal media, which is now bemoaning the fact, had nothing to say about it before hand. All the ramifications of putting your energy marbles in one sack---especially in a sack that leaks---were self evident ahead of time; to everyone, apparently, except liberals and environmental activists who wear blinders.

It's not just wheat. Most people don't seem to realize how corn-based our economy is. Example: My neighbor sold off all his cattle in the fall, because he couldn't afford to feed them through the winter. If corn is being used to make ethanol, what does that do to the price of beef?

Or just look at a can of anything. First of second item, nowadays, is always "high fructose corn syrup." Just where do you think that sugar comes from?

As more and more farmers convert to corn, to take advantage of high purchase prices, that means less and less acreage is devoted to other crops. Wheat is the most obvious, because it's a global commodity. But what about the guys who are no longer growing sorghum? Or sunflowers? What happens to the soil when we stretch our rotation schedule an extra year or two before planting soybeans instead of corn?

Better grab a steak now, because conservative estimates are for 20-25% increases in food costs by year's end.

And who did this to you? Why the same congress that claims there are no windfalls even though oil-company profitability is at record highs. That's profits, my dear, not income.

Guess it won't be a problem for me, I can't eat it anyway without getting sick. Maybe all the spraying they are doing to the wheat is what is actually making me sick?

It could be Lizgirl! But I do have a friend of mine who is allergic to wheat as well, and he discovered this years ago. I do feel for anyone allergic to certain foods!
But as you said it is lucky for you! LOL
Cathy

Growing your own wheat really isn't an option. You have to grow A LOT of it. Second, I wouldn't worry too much about the fungus itself. The areas they are affecting are dealing with different wheat than what we use here in America. Most of our crops have been genetically designed to resist many fungi. Not to say it would resist this one, however, the infrastructure is well in place to quickly adapt the plant to fight off the fungus. We have been doing it for years.

With that said, there is a vast amount of land that goes cropless due to subsidizing that can be opened up. There are many farms in recent years that have just gone out of business because they cannot compete with corporate farming. My hometown in upstate New York used to boast about a hundred farms when I was a child; there are four left now. There are many fields that just lay dormant. When corn prices reach a level where it will be lucrative to fire them up again, don't worry, it will happen. The same applies to wheat.

People tend to forget that much of America used to be farming orientated. Heck, a good portion of Manhattan was farmland at one point.

When one takes a plane ride over the country and looks down, your fears of food shortages should gently melt away. :)

With all that being said, I do agree with Ky on the issues of ethanol and restrictive environmental policies have done a fair share of harm to this country. The pipe dream that we could all be driving corn fed cars one day is ludicrous.

I would be interested to know if this fungus has had any affect on Teff, a common grain used in the part of the world currently suffering from it. I have been very interested to try this, just haven't had much time lately.

Back