What's new
Cooking Forum

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Sourdough Bread Help

jglass

I need a simple starter recipe for sourdough.
I would also love some ciabatta bread recipes.
Keep in mind I am a beginner bread maker.
So far I do best cheating and allowing my bread machine to make the dough :eek: then baking it in my oven. The bread machine makes good bread. I just dont care for the shape of the loaves they produce.

When I was looking up recipes for sourdough and ciabatta I found all of these lovely sites where people were making the bread from scratch. I felt a little guilty for cheating with the bread machine lol.
Thanks for the links.

I'm glad I don't have guilt. :D To me the bread machine is a kitchen tool just like anything else -- mixer, coffee maker, stove, oven, toaster, etc. The end result still requires the skill and touch of the cook.

I don't use a bread machine for three reasons:

1. Space. Just don't have room for one.
2. I find working with dough to be somewhat theraputic.
3. A bread machine limits what I can make, particularly as I get more and more involved with delayed fermentation and the use of preferments. And, as you noticed, you are limited in shapes.

Note that none of these reasons involve a moral committment.

The idea that using one is cheating is just silly. Go to bread forums such as The Baking Circle, forums filled with serious bread makers, and you'll find almost as many of them using bread machines as are working from scratch.

As CanMan says, a bread machine is just another kitchen tool. You can choose to use one, or choose not to use one. But that's all it is; a personal choice. Nothing to feel guilty about, one way or the other.

Yeah I have a tiny kitchen and to many toys taking up space.
I do well to clear enough room to roll out biscuits.
But I so love my toys :D

I've got the world's best bread dough machine! And it also makes pasta, cookies, pies, cooks all types of meals, sews, crochets, knits, makes draperies, bedspreads, rugs, and also does dishes, washes windows, does laundry and irons, etc.

Sourdough San Francisco Bread

1 tb Dry yeast
1 1/2 c Warm water
1 c Sourdough starter
1 tb Sugar
1/2 tb Salt
2 tb Cider vinegar
5 1/2 c White flour
1/2 ts Baking soda
Yellow cornmeal

In large warmed bowl, sprinkle yeast over water, stir to dissolve and let stand until bubbly. Blend in starter, sugar, salt and vinegar. Gradually beat in 3 cups of the flour. Beat at least 3 mins.

Turn batter into a large oiled glass or ceramic bowl, cover with towel and let rise in warm place 1 hr or until double in bulk.

Combine 1 c of the remaining flour with baking soda. Stir batter down and add flour-baking soda mixture. Gradually add remaining flour to make a stiff dough.

Turn out onto floured board and knead, adding additional flour only as needed to prevent sticking, approx 300 strokes of folding and turnin or until dough is smooth and elastic.

Sprinkle a greased baking sheet with cornmeal. Form dough into 2 oblong loaves and place on sheet. Cover with towel and let rise in warm place 1 to 1-1/2 hr or until not quite double in size.

With sharp razor, slash the tops of loaves diagonally. Mist with water and bake in 450 oven 10 mins. Reduce heat to 400 and bake 35 mins longer or until bread tests done.

For a harder crust, place a pan of hot water on bottom of oven and mist with water several times during baking. Remove pan of water after
15 mins of baking.

Turn out onto wire rack and cool.

NOTE: If you like your sourdough very dark, remove the baked bread from the pan or sheet and place under broiler about 2 mins, or until rich brown in color.

"Foolproof" Sourdough Starter

1 cup Yogurt
1 cup Milk; skim, regular or %
1 cup Flour

Mix the milk and yogurt together in a glass, pottery or plastic container.(NOT metal) Keep a lid on it, but dont seal it. (sealed starters have been known to explode!) Put this where the temperature will be 80-90F for about 24 hours. Then add the flour and put it back in the warm place for 3-5 days. Stir it daily. It will bubble and have the odor of fermentation. Its ready to use. A starter is a live thing and must be fed. When you use it you should replace what you used. The amount you should replace will vary according to need. If you use your starter often or you know you are going to have a heavy demand soon, then you can put several cups of milk and flour (equal measures) in it. Generally though you should put in either 1/2 C to 1 C of both flour and milk. I prefer to use buttermilk, as it gives the starter a much stronger sour taste. If you are not going to use the starter for awhile, place it in the refrigerator. It needs to be fed once a week...just a few spoons flour or milk. If you forget and leave it in there for a long time without food, dont just throw it out. Try first to bring it back by adding 1/2c of flour and milk and leave out for a day or so. It is remarkable how these things come back.

Ciabatta Bread

1/8 teaspoon active dry yeast
2 tablespoons warm water
1/3 cup warm water
1 cup bread flour
1/2 teaspoon active dry yeast
2 tablespoons warm water
1 tsp brown sugar
2/3 cup warm water
1 1/2 T. olive oil
2 cups bread flour
1 1/2 teaspoons salt
Wholewheat flour for dusting

1. To Make Sponge: In a small bowl stir together 1/8 teaspoon of the yeast and the warm water and let stand 5 minutes, or until creamy.
2. In a bowl stir together yeast mixture, 1/3 cup of the water, and 1 cup of the bread flour.
3. Stir 4 minutes, then cover bowl with plastic wrap. Let sponge stand at cool room temperature for 24 hours.

After 24 hours

4. To Make Bread: In a small bowl stir together yeast, warm water and sugar and let stand 5 minutes, or until creamy.
5. In bowl of a standing electric mixer fitted with dough hook blend together yeast mixture, sponge, water, oil, and flour at low speed until flour is just moistened; add salt and mix until smooth and elastic, about 8 minutes.
6. Scrape dough into an oiled bowl and cover with plastic wrap.
7. Let dough rise at room temperature until doubled in bulk, about 1 1/2 hours. (Dough will be sticky and full of air bubbles.)
8. Turn dough out onto a well-floured work surface and cut in half.
9. Transfer each half to a greased baking sheet sprinkled with cornmeal and form into an irregular oval about 9 inches long. Dimple loaves with floured fingers and dust tops with wholewheat flour.
10. Cover loaves with a dampened kitchen towel. Let loaves rise at room temperature until almost doubled in bulk, 1 1/2 to 2 hours.
11. At least 45 minutes before baking ciabatta, put a baking stone on oven rack in lowest position in oven and preheat oven to 425 F (220 degrees C).
12. Bake ciabatta loaves 15-20 minutes, or until pale golden.
13. Cool loaves on a wire rack.

Makes 2 loaves

I don't use a bread machine for three reasons:

1. Space. Just don't have room for one.
2. I find working with dough to be somewhat theraputic.
3. A bread machine limits what I can make, particularly as I get more and more involved with delayed fermentation and the use of preferments. And, as you noticed, you are limited in shapes.

I agree with you on all of these....you also can't get a very good crust with a bread machine....bread machine breads always seem to be a little "wet" when they are done....and you always have that annoying hole in your loaf.

Back