What's new
Cooking Forum

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Electric stove mysteries

W

wistful

I recently bought a condo where only electric stoves are permitted. While I know what WM-LOW-MED-MED HI and HI mean, I haven't a clue what temperatures are associated with those designations. Hypothetically, if I put a quart of water in a sauce pan what temperatures could I expect at LOW, MED, and HI, for example?

I tried to determine this myself with a reliable thermometer, but found the readings were all over the place. I've asked everyone I know who cooks with electric and successfully cornered the market on every cockamamie answer you could imagine. Does anyone know authoritatively?

You aren't going to like this - but - with electric stoves - when it's done - its done and when it's hot - it's not, and when it's not - it's not. You can cook an egg in 3 minutes or 10 minutes with the same results.

I bought a 2 burner unit for outdoor use - medium and high - half the time the medium is hotter before the high.

So when you figure it out - you can tell us!

LOL

Did I mention - I HATE electric ranges??? You could give me the most expensive house in the world - if it has an electric range - keep it.

Hmmm, I'm getting the impression you hate electric ranges.
155.gif

I almost said "doesn't every real cook." But then rememberd that Julia Child not only used, she loved, her electric stove.

Of course, hers had 9 burners, so she could move things around when she needed higher or lower temps right now.

I'm sorry - but I don't think she was much of a cook anyway. And she sure as heck couldn't bake! All her bread was dry and looked burnt. She'd never make it today with some of the cooks on TV.

She looked like she was always pickled when she was cooking too- like 140 proof - and you don't have any open flames near that!. Probably wouldn't know the difference between a gas range and an electric range!

Just my opinion................

For those that are sight-impaired it is best for them to use electric. And I do understand that there are some situations where you have to use electric.

And one thing that is worse than that - I am petrified and I mean totally petrified of those propane gas grills.

I've seen propane explosions and gone through the loss of several - and I don't even want one of those anywhere near my house! I'm a basket case at a BBQ when they are using those things!

I can understand why he doesnt want a gas appliance.
It is not like he cooked. The only time this stove had been used before I came along was when a sighted girlfriend or one of his buddies came up and made him a hot meal. His idea of a well stocked pantry was bologna and cheese and Mt. Dew. He ate microwave meals.
It didnt take long for me to change his mind on that one lol.
I used gas before I got married but using electric for ten years now Im used to it.
Having seen propane explode I can see why you dont like them.
We have family with propane grills but luckily no explosions yet.

Not only have I never seen a propane gas grill explode, I have never heard of one exploding. I love my gas grill. :)

As for the electric stove, I have been using one for years. Once you get used to YOUR stove, you will know what the settings do. It is different for each stove.

I have heard many people say they prefer gas over electric.
I always assumed it was because you can make quicker adjustments to your heat settings with gas. I had never heard of a propane grill exploding but can see where it could.

Only way a gas grill can "explode" is if it is used incorrectly.

Propane, by itself, doesn't even burn. Instead it must first be mixed with oxygen, at which point in forms a flamable (or, in certain specific cases, explosive) mixture.

So, if there is actually a case of a grill exploding it's because there was a leak somewhere---probably where the tank connects to the gas line. And that means that the person using the grill didn't check the connection before using it.

Hardly the fault of either the grill or the propane bottle.

The question arises, too, as to frequency of such accidents. Add up all the propane grills used in America. Then add in all the homes that use propane to cook with. Now figure the percentage of accidents.

Anyone who is afraid of a gas grill really needs to evaluate why they ever get in a car (much greater chance of a fatal or maiming accident), or take a shower (care to figure the ratio of bathroom accidents and compare it to gas grills exploding?), etc.

My fear is of PROPANE - PERIOD.

A friend of mine did have a grill explode many years ago (that's what he gets for getting drunk!). He's fine - the grill wasn't.

But I've lost several dear friends (firemen) in a warehouse fire that stored propane tanks. And many years ago shortly after one of my best friends married, her home was heated by propane and they lost everything in an explosion. See it and hear it - it will change your mind.

It's the PROPANE I want no part of.

I know that gas grills - like anything else - are safe when used properly - you don't have to be a rocket-scientist to know that -

but I do not like propane or anything that uses it.

Period.

After cooking with gas, I'll never go back to electric. It's all about being smart. On the deck I make sure the propane is always off before I walk away.

Mamam,

My Sister Had A Propane Water Heater That Was Malfunctioning, And I Had To Light It For Her One Evening, And Darned Thing Blew Flames Everywhere, My Eyelashes And Hair On My Arms Even Blew (burnt) Right Off!!! I Was Scarred To Death Of It After That.

But It's Sort Of A Respect Thing----respect That It Can Go Horribly Wrong If Not Operating Right Or If Leaks Are Present, And Avoid Appliances That Have Problems Until A Certified Repairman Has Made The Needed Repairs. Do Not Use Them...period.

We Cook On Gas Grill And We Love It!

It's Really Important To Use Carefully And Type Pressurized Gas!

Cccathy

Mamam,

My Sister Had A Propane Water Heater That Was Malfunctioning, And I Had To Light It For Her One Evening, And Darned Thing Blew Flames Everywhere, My Eyelashes And Hair On My Arms Even Blew (burnt) Right Off!!! I Was Scarred To Death Of It After That.

I had something similar to that happen when I was lighting a deep fryer. I told my boss that I would not light it again until it was properly serviced as it nearly blew my face off. The next day, there was a repairman there and he said it looked like it hadn't been serviced in 20 years.

For crying out loud, did anyone read the original question? Thank god I wasn't holding my breath!

Hi Wistful,

You certainly have a point there:eek: Sorry if we got side tracked. I did read your origianl question and each consecutive answer and got caught up in the previous posts after your original.

I have cooked more on electric that gas stoves, but honestly can not tell you the answer to your temp's question. I believe KYH came as close to the correct answer as anyone.

I wonder if perhaps you could contact the mfg. of your particular stove and ask them for the settings on the thermostats for the burners, that might at least get you somewhere in the proximity of correct temps?

Once again sorry for the disregard to you original question, CCCathy

That won't help, particularly, Cathy, because the burners degrade over time, and do not produce near the Btus as they did originally. Besides which, will knowing that info help the average home coook at all? They'd just be comparative numbers, for the various burners on that stove.

Whoever said that the burners put out what they put out, and you have to get used to the particular stove, is right on the money.

Wistful, a common test for heat output is to see how long it takes to boil a quart of water. Keep everything as consistent as possible. If nothing else, this will give you comparative outputs of the four burners you have. Were it me I would do the test three times for each burner, using the low, med and high settings.

I've decided to hell with cooking, I'm going to eat out until I find a woman who knows how to cook and is willing marry a handsome, witty, greek-godlike, half-wit.

Back