What's new
Cooking Forum

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

jglass

I figured you guys would ask what the crazy furball was in my avatar.
It is a blue tort english angora rabbit. He doubles as a fuzzy slipper.
His name is Baron and I have had him since he was eight weeks old. He will be five years old in July.

I'm not even sure what an avatar is. It's hard to do high tech with a low tech mind.

What's he sitting on? Seems to be a person's lap, but the size relationships are all screwy.

Simple put - an avatar is the pic or drawing that members choose to use that will show up with each of their posts.

Like mine is pizza, etc.

No avatar for me... translation: I couldn't find an image small enough that I liked :p

Jg,

Your Bunny Is Soooo Fluffyyyy!!! What A Darling Pet, Is He Real Tame & All. How About The Litter Box Training? Did It Work With Him? I Used To Work At An Avian & Exotic Veterinarian Hospital And We Had Many Bunny Patients, And All Kinds Of Other Strange Pets Too!!! The Stories I Could Tell. I Love Bunnies, Especially Ones That Are Very Tame And Love To Be Petted! Do You Feed Him Alot Of Fresh Veggies Along With His Pellets?

Cccathy

He is sitting on our old black leather couch beside my hubby.
Baron is super tame. He will sit beside of you for an hour to get petted.
They grind their teeth when they are happy and it sounds like a purr.
I got very lucky with him. He was easy to litterbox train and has never been bad to chew on things. He demands three bowls of fresh kale greens a day. Occasionally he will eat a little spinach or collard. He hates carrots. He eats timothy and alfalfa hay and pellets.
He loves fruity cheerios and a piece of a shortbread cookie.
His favorite hobby in the world is making my dog miserable.
No one believed me when I told them the bunny chases the dog until I video taped it.
I have a seven pound yorkie/maltese that has one big yellow streak down his back.
When ever the dog wants to play and growls and pulls on my socks the rabbit comes running and chases him away.
There is a lady in West Virginia who breeds these bunnies for show rabbits. She gives you a pedigree and everything when you buy one. When I met her to buy Baron she had on a lovely sweater she had made from spinning the angora wool. They have to shear the bunnies about every three months.

Last edited:
Im always happy to yammer about Baron.
I actually had no idea english angora rabbits even existed.
My husband was subbing at our local high school and I was there as his volunteer theachers aid. We were looking for something to watch on Tv while we ate our lunch and I happened on this show on PBS I think and the guy had the most unuaual albeit adorable bunny I had ever seen. I had to describe it to my blind husband lol..who then told me what it was. Jon had seen them ages ago before he lost his sight. I got right on the computer in the classroom and started researching them. I eventually found a breeder who met me at the Huntingon Mall about 40-50 miles from me. She brought a whole litter for me to look at. I wanted them all but let me tell you..one of them is alot of work.

It was so funny. The cable guy came once and was so stunned to see a blue rabbit. He came back two days later with a buddy from work. The other guy had bet him $10 there was no such thing as a blue rabbit and he wanted to show him mine lol. People usually think Baron is a dog when they first see him.
They think I am nuts at our local store because I ask them to go into the back and get me fresh greens for a rabbit. Around here people thinking having a pet bunny is insane.

Last edited:
Hi JG,

I do not think you to be insane at all, I love your stories! You remind me so much of my baby sister. Her hubby (my bro-in-law) is also blind. They have a unique pet that they've had 9 yrs.; Are You Ready for This??? It's a Chicken her name is Phred (Fred), they resued her when she was just a little chick (from a sure death) and they wound up falling in love with her and she is one of the family! She's a Rhode Island Red. I would love to tell you some of their stories raising her:)! Mary goes thrpugh more wippies than anyone else on earth to keep clean up a cinch, and their basement is where Phred roosts at night! They also have a Guide Dog and a Weimereimer so they love their pets!

I attended an NFB convention with them in Texas back in 1998, and I spent one of the best weeks of my life there. Steve was receiving a scholarship from the NFB and I wanted to be there to watch him get it. I wish I had enough time to tell you all about it, but maybe another day!

I bet you have washed more greens than anyone I know, funny that Baron hates carrots:D I LOVE IT....his way of making a mockery out of stereo-typing rabbits, I know you must enjoy him tremendously! If you ever need advice of a good vet for bunnies let me know and I will put you in touch with one.

Have a good day, Cathy

I love that they have a pet chicken!
Jon and I met through his guide dog. I was helping my older Sis one day. She groomed dogs for people and Jon and his friend brought Jons guide dog to get him groomed. It was a black lab. I still tell people the dog tricked me..he was looking to retire and wanted me as a replacement lol.
I would love to hear any stories you want to share.
Luckily we have a good vet here in town who is rabbit savvy. He took care of Jons guide til til the day he died. The worse problem with angoras is woolblock from their coats. Every day I have to give him petromalt and papaya tabs to keep him in good shape. Some breeds of rabbits are bad to get misaligned teeth because a bunny's teeth never stop growing but Baron chews on apple sticks and eats alot of hay so luckily I havent had any dental problems with him.

You are fortunate that Baron is so healthy, of-course you have alot to do with that:)

So does the grocery store make you pay for all the greens? I sort of guess they do. I am glad to hear you have a good Vet.

Did Jon get a new guide dog? My Bro-in-Law loves his, he waited many yr's before getting one as he had my sister, LOL. Just the opposite of you & Jon.

When I get time I will share some stories about Phred with you. My sister has shared so many. When I told her about buying our dozen chicks on St. Patrick's Day she just sighed and said "Oh I wish I could have that many!" Of-course mine are in a lovely chicken coupe we made outside. My daughter-in-law said "Wow that is a chicken Condo!" she complemented us on the fact that it was the nicest one she'd ever seen. I don't get it, but maybe she has seen some real rugged ones:confused: To me they are an "ends to a means", I want fresh eggs and they will supply them;) Not exactley pets in my opinion, but my grand-daughter loves them and would stay out there petting them all day if I let her!

Talk to you later, Cathy

Yeah they think Im nuts at the grocery store for spending as much as I do on greens.
Greens are pretty cheap though. Usually $1.29lb. My biggest problem with the store is usually the poor condition of the greens they offer. I have asked them more than once to see whats in the back. They are really bad to leave wilted brown yucky stuff out trying to sell when they are lovely fresh greens in back. The manager actually told me once he didnt see the problem since I was going to cook them anyway. I said your wrong... they are for my bunny. That really got me a your nuts look. It helps me out alot in the summer and fall cause we always have alot of lettuce and greens in the garden. Jons Dad put out butter lettuce a few weeks ago for me that is about 2 inches tall right now. Im sure Baron will love it.
Jon says if something ever happened to me he would get another guide dog but for now he uses a guide wife lol. I always tease him that he has had me to the nicest places. He even tried a job at a federal prison and I went along to help him. I asked him what was next...a job at a funeral home? The guide dog he had when we met was very old and had been his companion through college. He was a great dog. It was odd how things worked out cause the dog really should have been retired. When I met Jon the dog was able to kick back and get spoiled rotten. JD had been with an elderly man before Jon got him. The older man had been mean to the dog. It always killed me cause JD was handshy. Broke my heart everytime he flinched.
I have an incredible story about after the dog died. The spot where Jons Dad buried him two days after had three full grown in bloom peace lillies in the center of the grave. Jons Dad was so freaked when he found them he ran in the house and called me to come see them. Every year the flowers come back with more but they never get outside the circle. No one ever even grew peace lillys there.

Im with you about chickens as pets but its awesome they have one and love it so much.

Good Morning JG,

I got all teary eyed at the story of the Lillies, how beautiful and appropriate! I can not understand how anyone that has a dog could not love it! Inless they are just not dog people, and they should not own a dog, nor have a dog imposed upon them.

I bet Baron will love the fresh veggies from the garden! Have you ever tried yellow and zuccini squash slices? They grow like crazy and are usually quite abundant once they start to produce fruit. Give him a try with them if you haven't allready.

I bought my granddaughter a Red-Eared Slider baby turtle one time, well he did not like the dry food for turtles. So I began feeding him a diet of fresh- earthworms, moths, and minnows. It gave she and I many hours of fun catching and digging, and he grew to proportions unbelieveable! I love turtles of any variety!

Well you have a great day and happy cooking! Cathy

I have tried Baron on just about every kind of veggie you can imagine but all he ever wants are greens and leaf lettuce lol.
He will nibble a little parsley sometime. My crazy dog on the other hand loves to eat greens with the rabbit. Maybe he figures if he cant beat him then he will join him.
I love turtles :D

Baron rocks. :)

I have a lime. Fitting, isn't it? LOL I looooove lemons, limes, and all those good citrusy things.

Back