What's new
Cooking Forum

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Organic recipes

S

sankum

I know organic food is very good for health but the thing is I do not know how to prepare them at home. Can anyone help me out plz? btw I do know that I get organic veg and fruits out in the market ...dont think I am kinda crazy ..Is organic recipe done just by using these organic vegies or is it prepared in a spl way? Just wanna know...

Sankum,

"Organic" is a way of growing, not what is grown. An organic tomato, for instance, is just a tomato that was grown using organic methods.

Essentially, "organic" means you take care of the soil, and do not use synthetic or man-made fertilizers, insecticides, etc. True organic growers see themselves as stewards of the earth.

However, once organic became a buzzword, the agri-giants jumped on the bandwagon. Using essentially the same methods as they do with their more conventional crops (i.e., mono-culture, hybrid varieties, etc.) there is really not much difference between their organic and their conventional---except that they use the organic label as a way of unjustifiably raising prices.

A few years back the feds got involved, and now, in order to be certified as an organic grower you have to meet certain standards. Unfortunately, the protocols were, effectively, written by the agri-giants, and are set up to discourage the small, diverse, true organic grower.

Sorry to be so long-winded with this. But if you're buying organics in a supermarket you're merely spending extra money for no real benefit.

And, to answer your actual question, in terms of end usage you use organic produce exactly the same way as you do conventional.

KYHeirloomer is correct. "Organic" is the method of growing, not the product itself. The concern therefore is how/where the product is grown to determine whether there might be pesticide residue remaining that would require pre-washing or removal of the outer skin (where such pesticides are stored by the plants).

I find the current standards of "organic" as a public relations gimmick. Farmers are not out to poison us, no more than you plan on poisoning yourself by using pesticides in your own home garden. You do what needs to be done, but also take reasonable steps not to contaminate the product.

Wish I could agree with you on this one, Can Man. But the current organic certification standards are, most emphatically, not a PR gimick. They are yet anouther way Monsanto et als is trying to control the world food supply.

The small, diverse, organic growers---the very people who kept the concept alive lo these many years---are being left to suck hind tit while the agri-giants reap vast rewards for doing, essentially, nothing but rape the land.

Sorry, I'm not a supporter of conspiracy theories or Monsanto's alleged desire to control the world's food supply, but like politics and religion it not something worth debating.

Organic farming is an important direction in helping to be in harmony with and protecting our Mother Nature and planet, but it is unfortunate that by the time it gets referenced by the consumer it has taken on an entirely different meaning...as indicated by our original poster's question.

Well, how about this? If you don't cook with any pesticides or fossil fuel, then you are cooking organically. :)

Thanks KYH. Your information was very helpful.

Jafo232, I agree with u.

Back