What's new
Cooking Forum

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

I know it is silly but..

jglass

My neighbor gave me a full box of regular table salt before she moved and I cannot bring myself to throw it out. I use kosher and sea salt for us but I dont know anyone else who could use it. Jons Dad doesnt even eat salt.
Ugh..I just hate to waste anything. :eek:

Does it snow where you are? lol..

I would just use it for the table salt shakers. I have had the same drum of salt for a few years now. In fact, the only one that ever really uses the salt shaker are guests and my wife.

Try using it to scour the bottoms of your pans as an abrasive; cut lemons and salt will clean your wooden cutting boards; lemon and salt will clean glass coffee pots removing all the yucky lines and residue from coffee and tea; soak stained hankies in salt water to remove stains; soak fish in salt water before de-scaling and the scales come off easier; test the freshness of your eggs - place salt in a cup of water - fresh ones sink and stale ones float; soak new toothbrushes in salt water - they will last longer; boil clothespins in salt water and they last longer; make a paste of salt and vinegar - thicken with flour and clean your pewter, brass, etc.; clean the bottom of your iron with a little salt and a damp rag; salt and lemon juice will also clean piano keys; milkdly salted water is a good mouthwash; and don't forget you can gargle with it for a sore throat; salt water freshens sponges; clean your greens in salt water - removes dirt easily; salt added to your wash water will keep yor colors bright; equal parts of salt and soda for brushing your teeth; sprinkle on bath suds to get rid of them when you use too much bubble bath; burned milk in the bottom of the pan - sprinkle with salt; remove grease stains from clothing - 1 part salt to 4 parts rubbing alcohol; salt and lemon juice remove mildew; a strong hot solution of salt andhot water will keep your drainpipes odor free and clean; add get this - when you bake a fruit pie and it runs into your oven and bakes hard - well place a handful of salt over the spilled juice - it will bake hard and come off easily!

Last edited:
We dont keep salt shakers out here. Jon doesnt eat salt on anything. The only salt he gets is what I season the food with and he gripes if I use to much of that. I keep kosher salt and sea salt by the stove for cooking and finishing dishes. I had not bought a box of table salt in alot of years.
Mama those are some fantastic uses for it. Thanks!

Back