What's new
Cooking Forum

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Strawberries

jglass

I went to my father in laws today to pick strawberries. It was hard to say which was more dirty when I was done..me or the strawberries. We had a 10% chance of showers and of course it rained :rolleyes:
You watch ..when it is hot and we need rain we wont get any.
It has rained to much here people cannot get their gardens out.

I got some butter lettuce and green onions from the garden. Made one tasty salad. Sage, thyme and parsley came back from last year so I was able to get some herbs while I was there. I love to grill green onions for my salad.

I have a very weak stomach and I loath walking on those Cicada shells crunching under my feet Bleh :(

JG I meant to ask you what are cicada shells?

I want to get to a field and pick some strawberries myself! Some of my fondest memories growing up took place in strawberry fields, when Mom took us to help pick! Well shoot we'd eat more than we'd put in the baskets and they never got washed and we never got sick or died!

Strange you grill green onions for salad I never heard of them grilled for a salad? Tell me how you do it please.

Thanks, Cathy

I drizzle green onions with a little olive oil and put some salt and pepper on them. Put them on a hot grill for just a minute on each side til they wilt a bit and get a grill mark ot two and it enhances their flavor about a hundred times. I always get my grill red hot and they sizzle and smell so good as soon as they hit it. I leave them intact other than cleaning them. Dont chop them up or anything. Some recipes have you put Vinaigrette on them then grill them. I love howthey taste it salad.

I saw an add yesterday for strawberries you pick for .75 cents a pound. Said they were 14 miles from here. I need to call my father in law and tell him about that one.

Cicadas are locust. Its been 17 years so they are back in big numbers this year.
Periodical Cicadas

I know what the locust are ( I just do not ever remember hearing them called cicada) they have them where I lived in Alabama, and they have them in the part of Georgia where I live. They sure can get loud... too bad we coudln't figure out a way to incorporate them into nice tasty dish!! Like we could just substitute locust for any dish that calls for crawfish:p LOL Wouldn't that be gross!!!

P.S. I heard John the Baptist consisted on a diet of Locust and honey!!! So maybe it wouldn't be so gross after all. Hum-m-m-m very interesting!

Last edited:
Oh jeez..my stomach just rolled lol.
Jon loves to give me grief for having such a weak stomach.

Wrong locust, Cathy.

Commonly called St. John's Bread, it's the pod of a locust tree, similar to our own Black Locust. There's another common name for it, but I'm having a senior moment and can't bring it forth.

I have heard that KYH. I just love the thought of him eating grasshopper type things better though!!!! Makes him so much more saintly & beautiful in my opinion...I mean well you know poor thing consisting on darn grasshoppers and honey, what a man!

Back