What's new
Cooking Forum

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Not sure..

jglass

My father in law calls yesterday and asks if I like scallops. I go yeah..love them grilled. He goes I put us a couple of rows in the garden someone gave me. At this point Im very confused lol.

He had to have meant shallots. :confused:

:d Janie,
There You Go Cracking Me Up Again. Now Ya' Know It's Got To Be Shallots He Is Asking About 'cause Scallops Unfortunately Just Won't Grow In A Garden, Even Though A Certain Nursery Rythm Tells Us Differently!

But You Could Always Just Call Him Up And Just Ask Him. I Am Sure He Could Use The Laugh Today:d

Cathy

Bzzz! Wrong! Thanks for playing.

Pattipan squash are often referred to as scallops, due to their shape.

12 to 7 says that's what he means.

I havent had the chance to ask him today.
We have been working on the same computer for days. A friend got a bad virus and we had to pull out the big guns to get rid of it. I have been reloading the software in it all freakin day.
It may very well be squash because I dont think its even the right time to put out shallots.

That's correct, Janie. Shallots are a form of multiplying onion, and are best planted in the fall, the same time you plant garlic, or very early in the spring.

Here in Kentucky, that would mean February. Which is why I plant mine Thanksgiving weekend.

Lots of them. I'll post some when I get back from my trip.

But, in general, all summer squashes can be subbed for each other in any recipe. So, in addition to recipes specifically for patty pan or scallop squash, don't hesitate to use recipes that specifiy zucchini, or yellow crookneck, or what have you.

Pickled baby scallops (like about an inch wide) make a dramatic as well as tasty dish.

Back