What's new
Cooking Forum

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Salmonella in Tomatoes

Funny - with this salmonella scare - no one seems to be buying tomatoes - so the stores are now putting them on sale - and they are still sitting on the shelves. I love tomatoes - I'll wait for our homegrown to come out.

Im like you Mama. In the summer I eat tomatoes and crackers for breakfast even. I love tomatoes.

I got some cherry tomatoes the store had on sale. Im going to roast them in a 400 degree oven for some pasta salad. Hopefully it will kill anything that may be onboard. I stayed away from the larger tomatoes.

Mama I got some canned tomatoes at the store. I FINALLY have enough fresh basil for my next batch of your marinara.

News said this morning that cherry, grape, and tomatoes on vine are o.k. Slicing and plum maters are the suspected culprits? Still scary though!
Nan

lol Dont rub it in.

But Janie that's half the fun!!!

You know all the hard work love and affection I put into that garden? Every time a frost came I was running out there covering everything up and worrying like a Mom over wether or not my little plants would make it? Well now thanks to all my hard work & effort I feel totally entitled to BRAGGING RIGHTS:D

But seriously I am so excited when I see those lovely tomatoes on my vines!

There was a pregnant woman in front of me at the check out ysterday who had a dozen or more plum tomatoes in her cart. I asked if she had heard about the salmonella and she said she didnt care.

lol Cathy. We have a few things coming on in the garden like peas, zucchini and broccoli but its going to be a long time yet before we have tomatoes. I will probably be able to buy them at the farmers market before I can get them from our garden. I noticed some baby banana peppers in the garden when I was there the other day.

REMEMBER I TOLD YOU I HAD ALL OF 4 PEPPER PLANTS IN MY GARDEN, AFTER ALL THOSE OTHER PLANTS TURNED OUT TO BE TOMATOES? WELL THIS WEEKEND I ACTUALLY killed 3 of THE ONLY PEPPER PLANTS I DID ACTUALLY HAVE!
BEFORE WE LEFT FOR OUR CAMPING TRIP I WATERED AND FERTILIZED THE GARDEN WHEN WE CAME BACK ON SUNDAY THE 3 PEPPER PLANTS WERE LIKE DEAD AS A DOORNAIL!!! IT WAS SO UNSEASONABLY HOT HERE AND THEN THE FERTILIZER AND WELL NOW YOU KNOW THE REST OF THE STORY....PEPPERS AND I JUST DO NOT SEEM TO BE CONDUCIVE TO A HAPPY LIFE TOGETHER, SO I WENT OUT YESTERDAY AND BOUGHT SOME THAT ARE ALLREADY UP AND PLANTED THEM IN A CONTAINER IN POTTING SOIL, HOPEFULLY TO HAVE A LITTLE BETTER LUCK WITH THEM! GIVE ME A PEPPER PLANT AND I WILL KILL IT EVERY TIME HA-HA!

Am I paranoid????

These tomatoes - they've been floating around the states since April of this year. It is now June.

How many were sold/delivered to tomato processing plants to make tomato sauce, tomato paste, tomato puree, diced tomatoes, crushed tomatoes, pizza sauce, various spaghetti sauces, frozen dinners that have tomato-based sauces, pizza-making kits with the little can or pouch of sauce, tomato soups, salad dressings, barbecue sauces, sun-dried tomatoes, tomato juices, baby foods, salsa, picante sauces, ketchups, canned stews and soups, frozen pizzas, tomato jams, etc.

Have any of the seeds been dried for next years use?

Just wonderin'............................

samonella is killed by the minimum internal temperature which was just dropped from 140F to 135F.
Just got a new SafeServe certificate.
It would not come from the seeds.

Nan

You're paranoid.

The recall is for "raw" tomato usage. Any tomato that is cooked will kill any potential Salmonella toxin and is fine.

That is so good to know! Thanks CanMan.

By the way I have been meaning to ask you...When I used to live in CA I used to buy someting in the fish and meat section of the store called squid cakes, they were raw and all I had to do was sprinkle them with season salt dredge in flour and pan fry in butter---they were so delicate and tender and of-course delicious! Have you ever seen them, and if so are they still available?

Please let me know, Cathy

Thanks CanMan, if you ever should happen upon them I can suggest them if you enjoy eating mild flavored seafood, that is very tender and moist. These should not be confused with calamari rings which many times I find to be tough, leathery, and overly chewy! I only could find them at an ethnic grocery store located off of Anaheim Blvd. I may have found them occassionalyy at the PX on base in Long Beach, but other that that no dice. And I severly miss them!!!

Here's the link to all the states that have been cleared, assumed you know where the tomatoes originated from:

FDA Clears 37 States

Of course the latest word is the tomatoes may not be the source, but something else.

In this day and age they can't find out what is really causing it????

Tomatoes, cantaloupes, cilantro, peppers, spinach - what's next? Parsley, escarole, celery, carrots, potatoes, lettuce, etc. etc. etc.

And I'm waiting for the bird flu and mad cow disease to start all over again.

Back