What's new
Cooking Forum

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Mama's Onion Rings with a Kick

Mama Mangia

Super Moderator
4 med. onions, sliced 1/4 inch
1/4 c. liquid jerk sauce
2 T. jalapeno seasoning salt
1 egg, whisked
salt & pepper
2 1/2 c. all purpose flour
peanut oil for deep frying

Slice the onions. In a large large bowl mix the jerk sauce, eggs and seasoning. Place the onion slices and coat with mixture. Put the flour in another large bowl. Toss the onions into the flour and coat. Deep fry in very hot oil in a deep pot in small batches. Drain on paper towel.

Like them we LOVED them!!! Verrrry tasty indeed, and I used about 1/4 cup of bacon drippings in the oil to fry them and it just had that little extra taste as well.

Thanks Mama for this recipe, Cathy

Our menu went like this: seafood marinara sauce on linguine, spinach, fried onion rings, and garlic bread! Weeedoggies it was good, now I am off to make a key lime pie!

What a great Fathers' Day we have had! Set up our swimming pool, drank a bottle of blueberry vino, and played in the pool, and just finishing up the perfect day with a feast! Cheerio....

Cathy - so very happy to hear that you had a great day! Dinner sounded lovely and I'm glad you enjoyed the onion rings!

Looks like a keeper for you!

Makes Mama happy!! : )

You know I am sort of leaning towards having these again to-night, my granddaughter asked for seconds last night and there were none. She really liked them and that's a good thing:)!

I would love to try these but I have never seen liquid jerk sauce or jalapeno salt for sale anywhere around here.

If you cannot find liuid jerk sauce you can substitute your favorite hot sauce. Chekc out your spice aisle real well - most stores do carry it.

Jalapeno Salt

* 8 teaspoons salt
* 1 1/2 teaspoons onion powder
* 1 1/2 teaspoons garlic powder
* 1/2 cup powdered jalapeno pepper

1. Pour the salt into a blender or food processor. Process until fine, about 90 seconds. This must be done, or all of the salt will settle to the bottom of the shaker. Add the onion powder, garlic powder and jalapeno powder, and just pulse until mixed. Transfer to a shaker, and use it to spice up your favorite foods.

Hope this helps.

I always have Frank's hot sauce so I could use that.
The powdered jalapeno pepper I dont have. I have some itty bitty ones in the garden. Will have to dry some when they are big enough and make my own. I will def save this recipe.

Hey JG,

You do not have to wait, use what you do have on hand and improvise, that is the key! The way I improvised was that I took some hot sauce that we did have on hand (it's hot as haydes) and added it to my pancake batter until my batter turned a rich red color and then dipped my onion slices into that and popped them into the smokin' hot oil!!! I even added bacon drippings saved from breakfast that morning to my oil for an added touch of flavor. I tell you many times (in some recipes at least) you can improvise and not have to go on a shopping trip! It worked just fine in my case making these, MamaM's recipe was my inspiration! Just go for it girl, be creative and use your imagination; like KYH once said "Think outside the box"!

Cathy

Hey - grab a jalapeno and finely mince and use that! Who cares if it is not dried??? And who is going to know the difference?????

BTW - it's nice to have flavored salts in the house!

Back