What's new
Cooking Forum

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Introduction and Question

P

Patricia D

Hi my name is Patricia Demeritte. I am the mother of two beautiful daughter.

I love baking cake. I would like to know how to make a pound cake moist and how to make it high.

I am happy I found this site.

Thank You

Hi Patricia and welcome!

For a moist pound cake you can always add 1/2 c. sour cream to the recipe. And as far as making your cake high - be careful of your pan size. For maxmum volume always have all ingredients at room temperature. Always beat cream cheese, butter and shortening until creamy. Then gradually add sugar, continuing to beat until light and fluffy. These two steps are very important because they whip air into the batter so the cake will rise during the baking process.
When beating in your eggs, add them one at a time, beating only until the yellow yolk disappears into the batter. Over beating will cause a cake that "breaks" easily (it weill crumble and separate as it cools.
When adding liquid ingredients to dry ingredients alternately, mix only until combined. Overmixing once the flour is added will result in a rubbery cake.

I hope this helps.

Hi PD,

MamaM will give you very dependable and useful advice, you can count on good results!

We welcone you and hope you will be a frequent forum friend and user!

Be Happy, CCCathy

Cathy -

(blush) thank you!

But I enjoy helping with as much as I can!

Never be afraid to ask - no question is dumb or stupid!

Mama

jglass - thank you very much!

But think about it - Mama's love everyone and everything - and they always want everyone to succeed and be all that they can be. So I'm just doing the "mama" thing.

: )

Besides - who have I got to pass this all on to?????

Pound Cake

Hi Mama Mangia:

I thank you Mama Mangia for the information
I got the information I asked for. I just want to make sure I understand it correctly.

Should I mix my batter with Butter, Shortening, cream cheese too.

I await your response.
Thank you

jglass - thank you very much!

But think about it - Mama's love everyone and everything - and they always want everyone to succeed and be all that they can be. So I'm just doing the "mama" thing.

: )

Besides - who have I got to pass this all on to?????

Patricia - you're very welcomed!

Ok - I say sour cream - you say cream cheese - LOL!

So - let me give you these - and I hope they help you with at least the procedure if you don't want to use the recipes:

4 sticks butter 1 lb., room temperature
8 oz. cream cheese, room temperature
3 c. sugar
6 eggs, room temperature
1 T. pure vanilla extract
3 1/4 c. cake flour, sifted

Cream together the butter, cream cheese and sugar (about 7
minutes on the highest setting of a stand mixer). Once this
mixture is creamed together well, add eggs, one at a time, until
well blended. Add vanilla and gradually add the flour. Pour
batter into a bundt pan and bake at 300 degrees for 1 1/2 hours.
If you like, you can add 1 cup of crushed nuts to the batter,
this usually adds a little more time to the baking.

* 3 cups granulated sugar
* 1 cup butter
* 6 eggs, separated
* 1 teaspoon vanilla
* 1 cup sour cream
* 3 cups all-purpose flour, sift before measuring
* 1/4 teaspoon baking soda
* 1/4 teaspoon salt

Cream together sugar and butter, add the egg yolks one at time; beat well after each addition. Blend in vanilla and sour cream. Into a separate bowl, sift sifted flour, salt, and soda. Add sifted dry ingredients to batter; beat well.

In a separate bowl, beat the egg whites until stiff peaks form. Fold egg whites into the cake batter. Pour into a greased and floured tube pan and bake at 300° for about 1 1/2 hours or until cake tests done.

Thank You

Thank you guys for the recipe. I Will trying my new recipe on the weekend.

Thank you for being so efficient.

Love Patricia D:)

Back