What's new
Cooking Forum

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Honey, I'm Home!

K

KYHeirloomer

Got home from the Outer Banks a couple of hours ago and have been unpacking ever since.

I see there's been lots of activity during the week I was gone, which I'm glad to see. It'll take me a few days to catch up, I'm sure. But wanted to provide a quick overview of the trip.

Overall it was great. Although it was 97 and 97 when we got there Sunday, and repeated that on Monday, the rest of the time we had perfect weather. Temps in the 80s, little humidity, and, of course, an ocean breeze.

We had one day when the smoke from the forest fire drifted in, but it wasn't too bad. When we left Saturday, however, you almost couldn't see across the street the smoke was so bad. The fire is centered about 70 miles southwest of Norfork, but I understand that when the wind was wrong it traveled as far as Richmond.

Didn’t do as much fishing as we’d planned. The crabs were running, and Friend Wife discovered that she really enjoys crabbing. So we did more of that. Took about 30 keepers (minimum 5” across the shell) and God only knows how many undersized ones. At least 150 of them at any rate. Barbara actually thinks picking crabs is fun. Go figure. This is a lady who won't clean her own fish (although she loves to catch 'em) So I steamed and cleaned the crabs and she picked ‘em.

Even so, managed to catch some Spanish mackerel and a rather large triggerfish---my new best friend! Although they’re a ***** to clean (their skin is literally like leather, and it takes a very sharp knife and a firm hand to filet them), I have never had a better tasting fish. Fantastic flavor and firm textured, flaky white flesh.

I made them quite simply: Napped with Creole mustard, then breaded with Panko seasoned with salt, pepper, and some fresh lemon zest. Didn’t even need a sauce. Served them with a medley of summer squashes sautéed in butter along with some onion and red pepper. This was spooned over sautéed portabella mushrooms.

We only ate out once. Barbara had soft-shell crab (of course!). I had an interesting sandwich: breaded & fried mahi-mahi, with ham and thousand island dressing. They called in a Mahi Reuben. I told them the only thing I didn’t like about the sandwich was the name, because other than the thousand island it had nothing in common with a Reuben. This insisted that around there Reubens were made with ham as well as pastrami. I’d never heard of such a thing, and didn’t want to argue the point. Suffice it to say, the sandwich was tasty; although I think it would have worked better with country ham as both the boiled ham and mahi were on the bland side.

Crab? Well, we ate it every day. I made crab cakes, and that hot dip I’d posted earlier, and a crab salad, and deep-fried crab-stuffed won tons. Hey! I told you the crabbing was great. And I made some boiled shrimp (locally caught) with my home-made cocktail sauce. And learned I still have the knack of shucking oysters (or “aysters” as they say on the Chesapeake).

Friend Wife played on the beach to her heart's content. Barbara is a beach person. Me, well, I agree with the Walrus: If seven maids with seven mops swept it for half a year...... To me sand is something that separates me from the high surf.

All in all, a wonderful trip, though. Only far to short. There's no question; when we hit the lotto we know where we're moving.

Welcome Home

Sounds like you and Barbara had a lovely vacation!!! She sounds like me when it comes to crabbing, it can be a wee bit addictive:D Why I don't understand why you don't love it as much as us gals do:rolleyes:

Now just bragging on all that great seafood 1st thing on a Monday morning just 'aint fair! But seriously how wonderful! Triggerfish sounds delicious, do not recall ever having any, will be one of those on the list of "must try"!

Well whilst you two were off frolicking in the sand I got busy and posted some spice mixes on the Herbs & Spices Thread you got up & going. I hope you will find them useful!

So glad to have you home!

Your forum friend, Cathy

Cathy, I never said I didn't like crabbing.

I grew up with two favoritest outdoor things: Fishing the high surf and crabbing. When doing the latter I use two approaches. The productive one, which is to set baited crab traps. And the fun one, which is to use a string, a chicken neck, and a long-handled dip net.

What you have to understand is that Barbara was raised as a princess. Meaning, for instance, that the only thing a lady makes for dinner is reservations. For many years her idea of roughing it was to stay at a motel that didn't have cable.

Little by little she's been coming around, the past 20 years. But this was her first serious experience with crabs. Which is why I was so pleased with her joy and exhuberance.

Somebody must have discovered an easy way to clean triggerfish, because I notice that more and more celebrity chefs are using it. And there's even a commercial market for it. Indeed, if you do a search under triggerfish recipes you'll be amazed at how many hits you get.

But I had never actually eaten it before. Now I resent all the years I didn't keep them. In the past I thought of them as a collateral catch (i.e., trash fish). But no more. On our next trip to the shore we're going to target them.

The texture, and even the flavor, is almost lobster-like. Not quite, but that's as close as I can describe it. You have to try it to underestand.

I saw those spice mixes you had posted. All I can say is homemade is always better. So I'm not surprised you liked your more than the commercial versions.

KYH,
That is neat how Barbara has come to love the outdoor adventures of "crabbing"! I prefer the old string and chicken neck, but we also used to use a gig, as well as the net!

You know I had a similar experience with salt water Mullet, I grew up thinking of them as trash fish, when we relocated to the area around Gulf Shores, AL and all the locals spoke of eating the fresh caught Fried mullet I would cringe, but by and by someone finally got me to try it fresh fried on the same day it is caught and oh my goodness it is delicious tasting, I guess we never really know for sure unless we try it for ourselves. The Micosukee Indians in the FL Everglades eat Gar that they salt & dry. I never tasted it but they do preserve alot of it so it must be pretty good to them!

I believe I have seen an episode of Iron Chef (the original) that featured trigger fish. Well I am sure I will get to taste it soon and I will when we head south to visit. One of the 1st places we head to is Billy's Seafood, and make all our fresh fish, shrimp, and crawfish purchases. My fiance says my eyes get all sparkley and excited and he gets a kick out of watching me place my order, then he gets scarred about the $$$ I will eventually wind up spending, he's like thinking "HELP" But we have a blast and the eats are so good!

By the way what does an out of state fishing license run you in NC? Just curious.

Cathy

Thanks for the welcome back, Janie. I thought of you, as we drove past your place going and coming. If I had thought of it you could have made up a shopping list, and we'd have shopped in Lexington for you, then dropped the stuff off. Ah, well. Next time.

Mullet on the Gulf Coast has a long, honorable history, Cathy. During the War of Northern Aggression, while the blockade was on, the main source of protein was smoked mullet. It came to be called "Biloxi Bacon," and still can be found under that name nowadays.

I don't know the price of an inland license. Salt water has a short-term license: Ten bucks for ten days, non-resident. A bargain, if you ask me. If you do a search under North Carolina Fishing the state fish & game site will come up. All the prices and configurations are listed. And you can, if you want, buy your license on line.

Although that's getting to be common, I never buy licenses on-line because I prefer going into a tackle shop and talking with the employees. I buy my license and whatver tackle they recommend at the time. It's the best way to learn what and where in a place unfamiliar to you.

Oddly enough, while I've hunted all over North Carolina, the only inland fishing I've done there is in Great Smoky Mountains National Park. Either a TN or NC license is good in the whole park, and I fish on a Tennessee license while there.

KYH,
Thanks for the info on fishing license, our best bet of-course is to get a TN as we are only 45 min's to the border and frequent TN much more than even Atlanta, we love the area!

That is interesting about Smoked Mullet & the war, I unfortunatley do not care for smoked anything so I never ate it smoked except to taste a bit (just in case it turned out to be ok) I had no idea it had such a long history.

We used to use gill nets and catch boat loads of not only mullet but also flounder, you should've seen some of the size of those flounder, OMG they were huge, and soooo delicious! There was also great surf fishing right off the beach at Gulf Shores. There really was an abundance of seafood in the area, we only lived minutes away from Daphne, AL and the annual Jubilee was quite exciting for all the locals to stock up, if they were lucky enough not to miss it! But sadly these days I refuse to eat anything out of the Mobile Bay, it is simply way too polluted. EPA laws are often ignored in AL.

Do you remember a while back when you posted a thread on our favorite seafood? When you really start to think that one thru it is a very complicated question (smile)!

Cathy

Although perhaps less true today than in the past, it's still a truism that if you reach out your hand the sea will feed you.

In addition to the finned fishes, and depending where you are, the array of seafood you can harvest yourself is nothing short of incredible. Among them, just looking at the Atlantic and Gulf Coasts, are two types of crabs (stone crab doesn't count, as it it only caught commercially); lobster; oysters, clams, welks, mussels; several types of shrimp and I'm probably leaving something out. On the West Coast you can add in abalone and two other species of crabs---Dungeness and Red (perhaps the most underutilized seafood in the country).

If somebody wanted to fill a freezer full of fish, it's no big deal. Go out on a head boat that bottom fishes the reefs and you'll easily fill any sized cooler you care to bring along. Given the price of fish, nowadays, you more than make up the head-boat fee.

Even shore fishing can, if you time it right, produce more than enough fish for anybody's needs. Last week the following species were being caught with regularity: Spanish makeral; bluefish; triggerfish; spots; and speckled trout. Add in the occasional flounder, king mackeral and cobia, and that's quite a mixed bag. Skate, for those who bother to eat them, are almost always available.

This isn't even the best time to fish the Outer Banks, either. That comes in October.

Much as I love Kentucky, it does lack a seashore. :( But maybe that's not all bad. If Kentucky had an ocean there would never be any reason to go to heaven.

BTW, Friend Wife's largest fish ever, a 92 1/2" white marlin, was taken out of Gulf Shores. So you could say we have found memories of the area.

The large flounder you caught were more likely fluke, aka summer flounder. They are around more in the summer, and grow larger. In ascending order it would be something like flounder, fluke, and sole among the Atlantic flatfishes.

One of the most popular methods for flounder, incidentally, is to wade the backwaters and gig them.

I'm in a distinct minority in that I don't much care for flounder.

Thanks, Mama,

All you say is true. But it would be really nice if home was there.

Soon as we hit the Lotto that's where I'm opening a country inn. ;)

Back