What's new
Cooking Forum

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

The one thing you have the most?

jglass

What is the one food item you have more than any other?

For me I have to have coffee in the morning with french vanilla liquid creamer in it. I even add a splash of french vanilla coffee syrup. It sooo good lol. Dont bother me til I finish my coffee. Im not a morning person. :eek:

jglass, I've never been a coffee-drinker, but I'm the same w/ diet pepsi. Until I down a tall cold one, it's hard for me to even be civil!

I don't even think of coffee as a food item, merely as a necessity of life. Sort of like breathing.

I don't think we really have a most-used. Generically it would be grains, I reckon, with rice and cous cous about evenly split for first place. But then there's quinoa, and barley, and millet, and bulghur, and......

I agree with you on coffee KY, for my it is the wonderful taste. I pretty much came hard wired with a lot of energy, sometimes work for a couple of hours before I have coffee.

Grains are also a star in my cupboard, along with beans and pasta. Please don't make me pick one!

Nan

KYH ..I thought I was a die hard coffee drinker lol.
Kevin I was the same way with diet pepsi til I got an ulcer a few years ago. Had to give it up. Anything with carbonation lights a fire in my belly. I drink Folgers Simply Smooth coffee in decaf. Its a little easier on the tummy.
Nan you sould like my husbands Dad. That man never stops from daylight til dark. I would hate to try and keep up with that man for a day lol.

Janie, did you know that decaf actually has a darker, richer flavor? It's true.

The way you decaffinate coffee beans is to roast them for a long period of time. Heat destroys the caffaine.

You can actually see the difference. Open a can of each, and you'll see how much darker-looking the decaf is, and how much coffier the newly opened can smells.

Unfortunately, caffaine is an intergral part of why I drink so much coffee in the first place.

Tea, tea, tea, tea, tea, tea, tea, tea, tea -

any kind, anyway, hot, cold, stale, fresh, iced, flavored, unflavored, sweetened, unsweetened...............................

MamaM I love my coffee in the morning but the rest of the day it is tea, tea, tea all the way! I only drink water at work for 8 hrs. but when I get home watch that tea pitcher drain! Have always will always and forever love iced tea!!! And I read the other day it has more anti-oxidants in it that a serving of fruit or vegetables a-h-h-h-h my "fountain of youth" in a glass poured over ice!

Janie, Some foods I have the most are bread, bread and more bread I love breads!

OMG Cathy - I love bread - I could live on bread and tea - and possibly a few homemade cannoli and homemade cheesecake thrown in.

I have no blood in my body - it's good ol' fashioned Mama's sauce! If anything happens - grab a few jars of my bottled sauce and bring it to the hospital for my IV bags.

A gourmet meal - a pot of homemade sauce, a loaf of homemade bread for soppin' the sauce, tomatoes and onions with garlic, basil and olive oil, salt and pepper and a gallon of tea.

mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm

Hey All-

Speaking of iced tea... I'm trying to wean myself off'a diet pepsi- I drink way too much in the course of a day.

I'm considerin' a return to the iced tea that I was riased on. However, the sweet tea my folks preferred is way too sugary/syrupy for me- but on the flip-side, I can't stomach plain unsweetened tea either.

I remember for a half-gallon pitcher we used to place 8 Lipton pekoe teabags in a saucepan containing about a quart of cold water. We'd bring that just to a boil then shut'er down and allow it to sit and cool a bit for maybe about a hour or so. Then we'd pour that into the half gallon pitcher, stir in one full cup of sugar, then fill with cool water.

I'm fixin' to play with those raitos to come up w/ a version I can deal with- but what's YOUR raito of ingredients and method? From what I can tell folks vary greatly on number of tea bags, whether to re-use the bags or not, amount of sugar- variety of teas, additions of lemon/orange/mint, etc. I'm just lookin' for something simple and satisfying to keep nearby to sip on all day long...

Hi CAG,

I will tell you for 1/2 gallon pitcher I use 6 reg. size tea bags (or just 2 of the family size), that I place into our Bunn coffee maker and then run the water thru. The amount of sugar is between 1/2 to 3/4 cup. stir while tea is hot and add cold water to top off pitcher. That is it! I am not a big fan of Lipton *too bitter) I am a Lozianne tea lover all the way!!! I also use the peach, strawberry, and raspberry flavored teas by Celestial seasonings, occassionally a cup of hot mint tea, but mostly an ice tea drinker. It may be possible that the caffeine in your pepsi may be not allowing you to sleep as well at night. Try cutting off drinking any type caffeinated beverages at @ 6 p.m. and see if you notice better sleeping!

Hope this recipe helps, I do occassionally place the tea bags into the pitcher and allow them to stay in it until used up if I am wanting a stronger tea.

Last edited:
Mama your post made me hungry.
Cathy I love homemade bread to. I always let the bread machine do the hard work then bake it in the oven. I really hate the shape the loaves come out of the bread machine in..

Chubby, I drink my tea very strong, and do not add sweetener (shhhhhh? Don't tell nobody). Sometimes I add some mint, in the Turkish manner. And I start out with bulk tea. So take all that into consideration when you read my comments.

What I would suggest is you experiment with strength, starting with six-8 bags, then moving up or down as necessary. Meanwhile make some simple syrup, and use that to determine your preferred sweetness level.

Unlike granulated sugar, simple syrup, as I'm sure you know, will dissovle in cold liquids.

Once you've determined you sweetness comfort level you can either continue adding the syrup one glass at a time, or extrapolate out and sweeten the whole batch all at once.

I would keep flavored syrups on hand, but not use any of them in a whole batch. Might be that most of the time you favor just the plain tea. But once in a while want a change of pace raspberry, or mint, or what have you. Makes more sense to me to just flavor that glassful.

For my iced tea - I can use one large tea bag and just add cold water and let it steep; or I can boil the water and let it cool - add lemon, sweeteners, flavorings, etc. Or I just brew it in the good ol' perc and take it from there.

I really hate the shape the loaves come out of the bread machine in..

Me too Janie! It also bothers me that the loaf has a hole in it from the mixing paddle, I left my bread machine behind when I moved here and down-sized to the bare necessities!!! That was a real easy one to leave behind, I much prefer my mixing bowl and dough hooks to mix the dough!

KYH a great idea re: the simple syrup, especially for someone that is single. Our iced tea does well to even last 2 days around our place, my 8 yr. old has the same love for tea that I do:)

Wow. Your family method is exactly the same as mine. I switched over to decaf black tea (10 bags)and I always throw in 2 mint teabags too...or mint from my garden in summer. I use a 2-quart pot and a 1 gallon pitcher. I use about 2/3 cup sugar.

Janie, did you know that decaf actually has a darker, richer flavor? It's true.

The way you decaffinate coffee beans is to roast them for a long period of time. Heat destroys the caffaine.

You can actually see the difference. Open a can of each, and you'll see how much darker-looking the decaf is, and how much coffier the newly opened can smells.

Unfortunately, caffaine is an intergral part of why I drink so much coffee in the first place.

I didnt know that.
I miss my caffeine lol.

Mama's got the perfect bread machine that shapes her loaves in any shape just perfectly -

:D MamaM I just know you do!!!! You are a card, make sure now that Janie understands that you are talking about your hands or she will be out trying to find and buy the exact model bread maker you own!!!;)

I'm just messin' with ya' Janie!

Back